Rank discount bug still present in EVN 1.0.10?

This time I really want a solution

A long long time ago I posted something about a non-functional rank and pointed on a bug in the EVN engine.
I was told it was my fault and so I went away wondering what I had done wrong.

Now its about 4 years later and the rank behaviour hasn't changed.

As some of you may know I'm working intensively on PlugPack V18 and one of the annoying bugs out there is the Gli-Tech Membership Card which grants 10% off on all ships & outfits in Federation space. Well, the ships discount is working but the outfits discount isn't.

Since I get told I would have made a mistake I tried dozens of possible solutions. (Don't want to list them all -.-)

Today I downloaded and installed EV Nova 1.0.10 again to have a clean game and I played up to the point where you get the 'Director of the Bureau of Internal Investigation' rank which should reduce the the cost of ships & outfits to 10% of their original pricing.

Guess what? Nothing changed ... except for ships.

The discount on outfits is not working even in the original scenario!

Please, someone at Ambrosia have a look at this resource.

Also everyone who thinks that these ranks works for him please post too. Lets see whats the matter.
To clarify this: We are talking about the discounts on outfits only.

What has changed for me during the past 4 years ...
- 4 different computers
- Mac OS X 10.2-10.5
- Clean installs during computer change
- 3 to 4 clean Nova installs
- Also played with clean installs just to confirm this bug
- All available Nova editors installed to test if it's a bug in a particular editor
- I worked with exact copies of original scenario ranks and just make them available thorugh a mission, ship, outfit, crön, etc. - wasn't working (except for ship discounts)

That much has changed and even the original Nova resource isn't working. So whats the problem?

This post has been edited by Terek E`Ban : 10 November 2007 - 03:26 PM

The problem is that discounts on outfits don't work at all, due to a bug.

So barring someone fixing that bug, there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

If it’s still happening at this stage, I suspect we may need to declare it expected behaviour — I’ll change the help tag in MissionComputer to say ‘ships’ rather than ‘ships and items’.

@david-arthur, on Nov 10 2007, 06:18 PM, said in Rank discount bug still present in EVN 1.0.10?:

If it’s still happening at this stage, I suspect we may need to declare it expected behaviour — I’ll change the help tag in MissionComputer to say ‘ships’ rather than ‘ships and items’.

I think it's actually just a bug that, while fairly well-known, was never addressed - kind of like the superheavy blaster turret and 400mm turreted railgun not working until 1.0.9 or so because they were set to be freefall bombs instead of turrets.

Edit: well, nuts. Thought I'd made it work by accident, but I hadn't. Nevermind this post, nothing to see here, move along.

This post has been edited by Tsuki : 13 November 2007 - 09:09 AM

Are you basque, tsuki?

@lobf, on Nov 14 2007, 01:25 AM, said in Rank discount bug still present in EVN 1.0.10?:

Are you basque, tsuki?

Am I...Basque?

Err...no...why? That went whoosh right over my head. 😛

Never mind him. He is a strange and weird individual.

Just discovered something about discounts. I've noticed the oddity before but never realised what caused it nor could I be bothered investigating. Not sure if this has already been discovered or not (I expect it has) but...
All planets will offer to discount ships with a lower tech level than the planet's main tech by 6% 3% per level difference.

This post has been edited by Guy : 14 November 2007 - 10:32 PM

I always wondered what caused that...just strongly enough not to look into the causes.

Awesome find Guy, that's really good to know. 6%, eh? I'll have to remember that. Could come in...arbitrarily humorous.

In any event, that allows for an absurdly complex method of discounting outfits by ränk, at least on planets of one government.

Scratch that, it's 3%. Doesn't apply to outfits though. What's this absurdly complex idea?
(edit) Rounded up to the nearest thousand.

This post has been edited by Guy : 14 November 2007 - 10:43 PM

@tsuki, on Nov 13 2007, 05:46 PM, said in Rank discount bug still present in EVN 1.0.10?:

Am I...Basque?

Err...no...why? That went whoosh right over my head. 😛

Not Basque-American but Basque. And the reason I ask is your name seems Basque.

@shlimazel, on Nov 14 2007, 10:16 AM, said in Rank discount bug still present in EVN 1.0.10?:

Never mind him. He is a strange and weird individual.

:rolleyes:

Tsuki is the Japanese word for thrust. Some Basque words do look sorta Japanese though.

@guy, on Nov 15 2007, 04:02 PM, said in Rank discount bug still present in EVN 1.0.10?:

All planets will offer to discount ships with a lower tech level than the planet's main tech by 3% per level difference.

An important addition to this rule: It only works up to a base tech level of 5. If you give a planet a tech level of 6 or higher it will sell all ships at 100% price.

@nil-kimas, on Nov 18 2007, 10:47 PM, said in Rank discount bug still present in EVN 1.0.10?:

Tsuki is the Japanese word for thrust. Some Basque words do look sorta Japanese though.

It is also the word for the moon.
(/off-topic)

I'm afraid I don't have much to add, except that you could give discounts by making duplicate outfits to replace the higher priced ones using the availability or require bits fields.

@mumbling-psycho, on Nov 21 2007, 03:00 AM, said in Rank discount bug still present in EVN 1.0.10?:

(/off-topic)

Tsukiyomi

Just a name I took a fancy to, back when I first got into online gaming (Diablo and Diablo II).

@mumbling-psycho, on Nov 20 2007, 10:00 PM, said in Rank discount bug still present in EVN 1.0.10?:

(/off-topic)

I'm afraid I don't have much to add, except that you could give discounts by making duplicate outfits to replace the higher priced ones using the availability or require bits fields.

Why not just use NCBs? Incorporate it into checking if you have completed the required missions.

@lnsu, on Nov 22 2007, 10:00 AM, said in Rank discount bug still present in EVN 1.0.10?:

Why not just use NCBs? Incorporate it into checking if you have completed the required missions.

using the availability or require bits fields

Availability = ncb's.