People or no People?

Landing Graphic

What are your opinions on having people in landing images? No matter where you go in nova, you will never see a person or animal. Would a graphic that included, say, people walking on a sidewalk below giant skyscrapers, feel out of place?

If you can do that, DO! I'd love to see landing graphics that have people in them. The feeling of 'I'm the last {g 'man' 'woman'} in the world!' gets old real quick.

I'd say go for it, but only if you feel you can do it well.

I've been told the human form is one of the most difficult things to master in art.

That being said, EV historically has lacked a human feel. It would be cool to see some life other than Bryce forest textures.

Poser, stock photography, or some combination of the two could be useful.

I don't know about restrictions on use of the software, but Poser has a free demo on Apple's site.

--BP

Well, I wouldn't be doing it.
See, my dad (a professional Painter/Photographer/Graphic Design artist) has offered to do a few splash screens for me, but I have to tell him what I want. I think he's pretty good with humans, and even if he wasn't, they would all be very small as the camera is up in the air. Yes, the human form is the hardest thing in art. We all know what a human looks like, so even the smallest mistakes will be noticed very quickly, even by the untrained eye.

Sounds like an awesome plan.

P.S. My dad is an an artist as well, paint/drawing/teaching. 🙂

Yes to people, and Yes to buildings also, both are curiously rare in the various EV games, perhaps a limitation of Bryce.

But make sure they're in future clothes - like unisex unitards. Maybe with some random metal bits. 🙂

Screw that. The whole "future unitard fasion" thing is far too 60s. Take a look at the Mos Eisley cantina for some alternatives.

post his results, as I would quite like to see them. as for people, you could probably get the affect of a large crowd with a some sort of texture map. as it is, do you think your dad would make more of them? I have made landing graphics for Apophis, but they all make they place look deserted. People and buildings would be just the thing to give the Earth Unity a little life. :laugh: If he did, I would be deeply grateful, and include him in the beginning credits.

What has your Dad worked on? (Projects worthy of note?) I ask merely out of curiosity.

I would have PM'd this, but you wouldn't have known what I was talking about :blink:

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 28 August 2007 - 04:06 PM

I think one of the main reasons that many landing pics don't depict people is because of the versatility IMHO.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Aug 28 2007, 11:50 AM, said in People or no People?:

What are your opinions on having people in landing images? No matter where you go in nova, you will never see a person or animal. Would a graphic that included, say, people walking on a sidewalk below giant skyscrapers, feel out of place?

**Personally, I'd avoid it for these reasons: 1. If you glue in actual photos of real people, it looks phony and really, quite terrible. Like those big wall posters in malls showing off future expansion. 2. If you make people in poser, they'll all look relatively similar; like phony dead-eyed mannequins. I think the picture is meant to show off in general terms the terrain or main landing zone of the world/space station and going down to the person to person level isn't really necessary.

_bomb

@bomb, on Aug 28 2007, 09:39 PM, said in People or no People?:

**Personally, I'd avoid it for these reasons: 1. If you glue in actual photos of real people, it looks phony and really, quite terrible. Like those big wall posters in malls showing off future expansion. 2. If you make people in poser, they'll all look relatively similar; like phony dead-eyed mannequins. I think the picture is meant to show off in general terms the terrain or main landing zone of the world/space station and going down to the person to person level isn't really necessary.

_bomb

The images would be photo-realistic paintings.

I would opt for a camera located FAR above cities and stuff like that, where people are represented by not more than a few pixels... This way you can keep things global (buildings require less detail and thus less work) and people looking similar isn't a big deal since they're so un-detailed anyway...

I really would love to see a more 'human' feel in plug-ins / TC's... The Bryce renderings in EVN just look like last minute jobs, compared to the ships for example... I would go for something like a well made Terragen terrain and make cities in blender, then combine the two in photoshop... If you use the same height map and camera settings, it should be doable and come out nice.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Aug 28 2007, 10:11 PM, said in People or no People?:

The images would be photo-realistic paintings.

**The problem is then that for contiunity's sake, all of your landings must be done in this manner. I like the idea, don't get me wrong. Just keep them in all the same style, and it would work. If it's %5 paintings and %95 Bryce, they will stand out.

_bomb

@bomb, on Aug 30 2007, 08:57 PM, said in People or no People?:

**The problem is then that for contiunity's sake, all of your landings must be done in this manner. I like the idea, don't get me wrong. Just keep them in all the same style, and it would work. If it's %5 paintings and %95 Bryce, they will stand out.

_bomb

Unless they were paintings that looked like bryce... You're right though.