What Are My Options?

Well the turrets in the patch work fine, trust me. At least they do on a mac :unsure:. Seriously, have you just tried running the game and seeing for yourself?

This post has been edited by Guy : 22 February 2007 - 11:13 PM

I've been busy working on my own project. ANd "Just running the game" won't work anyway, since you can't buy the confed frigate or cruiser without certain bits set. I don't have any old pilot files who can buy stuff from the Confeds. I'd have to make a plug that would let me buy them all the time first so that I could then buy and sell the heavy neutron turret.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 22 February 2007 - 11:26 PM

Ah, good point. Well I just tested it myself on windows and it's working fine. The Proton PDs are completely invisible (don't show up in extras) but they're there in the pilot log and working fine, getting granted and removed as I buy and sell Neutron Turrets.

Maybe it was a glitch in 1.0.6. I think the last time I seriously monkeyed around with rEVisited's innards was before 1.0.9 and .10...

@guy, on Feb 22 2007, 10:45 PM, said in What Are My Options?:

Nope, that's EVNEW's fault for not recognising the dialog resources. Sorry, can't help you there.

If including dialog resources in a plug file makes its innards inaccessible to Windows users, it seems like the thing to do is to move them out to a plug file by themselves so that they don't block people from examining anything else. (Unless you want to make life frustrating for PC people, which of course is a separate issue. :ninja:)

Seriously, though: If I'm understanding this issue correctly then I'll lobby to have DITL (and DLOG?) resources from SFA moved to a file by their lonesomes, away from even their associated PICTs. Hopefully that will stave off a future complaint or two. You might consider the same for rEV, Guy. 🙂

Does anyone know who made EVNEW and where he went? If so, maybe we can get in touch with him and see if he can do something about updating EVNEW for those resources. If not, I think we're just going to have to do our level best to help David Arthur make a Windows version of Mission Computer.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 23 February 2007 - 02:22 PM

Actually, it appears that may not be the problem. I'm looking into it...

Aha, it's caused by the 42 byte 'nothing' sounds. You can blame Qaanol for that. Without changing the sounds though I did manage to get EVNEW to crash on quit instead of on open just by re-creating the file. (edit) Okay, I've just uploaded the patch again. If you download it now you'll be able to view the resources in EVNEW though you won't be able to make any changes.

Also, EVNEW is fine with DITLs it's just DLOGs it doesn't like. If you save a plug containing DLOGs it may delete them and/or corrupt the file. (The rEV Patch only has DITLs)

This post has been edited by Guy : 23 February 2007 - 07:14 PM

Ok, redownloaded. I can open the sounds. I can try to play them. When I close EVNEW, I get crash on exit. What are these "Nothing" sounds for? Do the need to be there? If not, lets just delete the damn things and save ourselves a headache. Also, I note that I can't delete them myself in EVNEW. It causes a crash.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 23 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

The nothing sounds are to override some unwanted beeps and clicks at the main menu.

Well apparently they're broken. I can use Adobe Audition to generate silence. How long do these need to be? I'm thinking no longer than a couple seconds, tops. Thing is, I'm pretty sure that before these patches, I wasn't getting the extra sounds at the menu screen anyway. Lemme check...

EDIT: I was mistaken. The extranous sounds are still there if I don't have the patch in.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 24 February 2007 - 12:37 PM

Hm, the sounds disappear for me on windows when I put the patch in. I used to have an 84-byte nothing sound which I had recorded but then Qaanol came up with the 42-byte sound and I replaced it. The nothing sounds should be ASAP (as short as possible).

Yeah. If I have the patch in the sounds go away. I thought they were already gone before that. I can generate one second of silence. I don't know if Audition will accept less than integer values for the silence generator. The problem is that the existing sounds themselves break something and make it impossible to do anything with them. I think this must be some error related to sampling. If I could get a copy of the plug with no nothing sounds at all, that would be good for me to test with.

@captjosh, on Feb 25 2007, 11:34 AM, said in What Are My Options?:

Yeah. If I have the patch in the sounds go away. I thought they were already gone before that.

Ah yes, I see now. Misread your post the first time.

Right now I'm not really concerned about the problem though, you can still view the file and all the resources. I don't see why you would want to do anything with the sound resources. Can you make and save other changes to the file? In any case, you should be able to simply copy all the resources into a new plugin and then do what you like with them. If I ever get around to it I may make those 84-byte sounds again, or something smaller if I can.

I just don't like that if I hapeen to do something accidentally, like say I'm in the sounds adding something or altering something, and I accidentally hit "delete" on one of those sounds, EVNEW would crash and I'd lose any work I had done.

EDIT: I can't even replace the sounds on my own because trying to alter the resources crashes EVNEW as well.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 26 February 2007 - 08:04 PM