Point Defence

Will not fire.

Im having trouble with my point defence outfits.
I have the point defence turret selected in the weapon
field and all of my fighters have the point defence works
agains ship field set. However they just dont fire.
I read through the nova bible but I can't see if there is
anything else I am missing.

Did you make the point defense weapon or is it from the stock scenario?

I made it.

It appears to be working now but I have to be holding in
the fire for it to work as far as I can tell.
I was under the impression that point defence was
meant to work on its own.

EDIT: All right I just flew a couple of runs. I really don't
understand this. The point defence works when I have
a secondary weapon firing. It fires with any secondary
weapon. I does not work with out this secondary weapon
firing. Alse if the secondary weapon is a turret weapon
but only fires forward so does the PD turret. If the
secondary weapon fires in any direction so does the PD.
thats all I've got now though.

This post has been edited by Sp3cies : 18 August 2006 - 11:42 AM

Ok, you know in the weapon resource? Under the guidence pull-down menu? Well if you look tthrough there you'll see a multiple of different types of weapons. The one you want to select is "point defense turret", and you want to uncheck the flag "secondary weapon"
That should fix the problem. šŸ˜„

(EDIT) Im assuming this by what you just said in the EDIT...You have the flag secondary weapon selected. Becuase if it fires whenever you fire a secondary weapon and it isn't selected, that is the only thing that i can see that possibly makes sense. So try unchecking that flag.

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 18 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

No no. I have had point defence turret selected the
whole time. That is not where I am going wrong.
The secondary weapon flag is not selected either so I
can't really unselect it.
The outfit resources all correspond to the right weapon
resource so I dont see why it links to another secondary
weapon.

Would you mind posting the file so that i can see whats wrong?

I'm interested in this behavior too, because you may have stumbled apon a way to get a "manualy-triggered" PD weapon. If so, there are some interesting uses for this...

You have a good point there. It could become a sweet weapon.

Yes, if this is actually some sort of "feature" of Nova, it would be very interesting to use on purpose. Please do post the plug, if you can.

Now, a few questions: Are you certain that the weapon is acting like a PD weapon? Does it fire at missiles? Does it fire at ships that don't have the "Vulnerable to PD" flag set? Does it fire at targets other than the one you have selected? Do any of the weapons involved have the "Exclusive Firing" flag set?

Edwards

I will look for a way to post it. Last time I tried it didn't
work. I am also using other peoples graphics. Not sure
if thats a problem.

Ā• I don't have any missiles yet. I can make a couple
and see if it works on them.
Ā• I will make a couple of ships that dont have the
vulnerable to PD flag set.
Ā• It does fire at targets other than the one selected.
Ā• None of the weapons have the exclusive firing flag
set.

EDIT: It does work on missiles.

EDIT2: It fires at missiles with out having to hold in
the fire button or having the other weapon.

This post has been edited by Sp3cies : 19 August 2006 - 04:35 AM

You know, this also brought up something interesting, what would happen if you used set the launching bay to act as a point defense weapon, would anyone have any use for this? And speaking of launching bays, what kind of use would one have if it was set to primary weapon? hmm.

To post the file, zip it or upload it to some site. I use box.net, its a clean easy site.

@coraxus, on Aug 19 2006, 07:20 PM, said in Point Defence:

You know, this also brought up something interesting, what would happen if you used set the launching bay to act as a point defense weapon, would anyone have any use for this? And speaking of launching bays, what kind of use would one have if it was set to primary weapon? hmm.

How would you do that?
Carried ship, and PD are seperate options.

You could have a PD weapon use your carried ships as ammo though....

You could make a carried ship that grants you weapons/outfits when it is docked. (Granting weapons requires continuous date posting though. Other outfit types do not.)

So you could have a pod ship that has a PD turret on it. You can launch the pod to fight, but when it is in your ship (attached to the hull or something) it's PD turret still functions.

Exactly what you said, but would it work?

Ok, this is what i believe you could do.
Weapon number 1 has guidance set to PD Turret.
Weapon 2 has guidance set to carried ship.
Weapon 1 has Weapon 2 RID in the ammo box.

That should work, but I'm not sure if weapon 2 would launch fighters every time a missle came at you or a viper. Though it would be cool.

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 19 August 2006 - 05:04 PM

I believe it simply fires as a PD projectile with the properties specified on the PD weap resourse. It would just deduct a fighter from your inventory with each shot. It won't launch a fighter.

All right. I just found a little time so I uploaded the file
here:

http://www.4shared.c...f3/sharing.html

Remove your data files and replace them with this.
The two weapons are the laser pd and the ion arc.

Whoa, I don't know what the heck this thing is but it's insane. First off, how did you archive it? I'm assuming that thing is a bin file but it has no extension. Second, the explosions are very cool - are they 'borrowed' from somewhere like the rest of the graphics or did you make them? And lastly, in an attempt to solve your problem, I think it likely has to do with the format of your sounds. Er, yeah. It's very difficult to see what the heck is going on. Okay, I think that's enough flying around in a near invincible miniature Krait for a while...

This post has been edited by Guy : 23 August 2006 - 09:01 AM

Oh christ, not this again...

Your sound encoding is off, and the Nova engine is twigging out. I have had extensive contact with this problem, and I have found no way to fix it.

Solution: Don't use custom sounds. šŸ˜ž

Can you not have a manually fired point defense weapon by creating a normal cannon-type weapon and then submunitioning it into a PD round?

@old-guy, on Aug 25 2006, 03:27 PM, said in Point Defence:

Can you not have a manually fired point defense weapon by creating a normal cannon-type weapon and then submunitioning it into a PD round?

Not if you expect it to aim at missiles. You can get it to hit fighters of course, but then what's the point of having it be a PD weapon.

Now, this does have use if it's a weapon that doesn't really need to aim much. Like a 360Ā° pulse, or perhaps a shotgun-like blast. And, yes, it will hit missiles and stuff.