Download Bryce 5.0 for free!

Mac and PC versions.

Came across this in another forum I frequent. Thought I'd pass it along:

http://www.daz3d.com.../bryce5free.php?

Hurry! Offer ends Sept. 6.

-Flyboy.

I snatched my copy.

Now I need to learn how to use this thing. ๐Ÿ˜ž

NOTE: Bryce 5.0 does not run under Mac OS X Tiger (Mac OS 10.4 and above).

Too bad, I guess

Lies. I am on a 500 MHz Powerbook G3 laptop with 640 MB of RAM running 10.4.5 and it runs perfectly fine.

I got it too. Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to use it. I;m gonna have to play with it for a while... ๐Ÿ˜ž
On the bright side- if I get it to work I'll make my own landscapes for the planets in my plug. ๐Ÿ™‚

I did notice that the same site offered a link to an online guide, but I haven't had time to look into it yet.

-Flyboy.

This post has been edited by Flyboy : 24 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

Hm Getting to terms with the program is in fact easier than one would expect You just have to tinker about, and you'll start to understand ๐Ÿ˜„

(no, I haven't made a fabulous Bryce scene yet, but when I have time, I might be crazy enough to try ๐Ÿ†’ )

Bryce 5 works in 10.4.5, but all the save and open dialogs appear behind the main screen so there is no way to save or load. I get around this by opening a duplicate of an old scene and deleting everything in it.

@evweb, on Aug 24 2006, 01:04 PM, said in Download Bryce 5.0 for free!:

Bryce 5 works in 10.4.5, but all the save and open dialogs appear behind the main screen so there is no way to save or load. I get around this by opening a duplicate of an old scene and deleting everything in it.

If you aren't on an Intel Mac, do "Get Info" on the Bryce app and check the "Open in the Classic environment" box. The wait for OS 9 to load is worth the bother to get the "New," Open," "Save," etc. dialogs back. ๐Ÿ†’

Shouldn't keyboard shortcuts like command+'O' work? And how does one expand a .sit.txt file?

@joshtigerheart, on Aug 24 2006, 05:19 PM, said in Download Bryce 5.0 for free!:

Shouldn't keyboard shortcuts like command+'O' work?

Sadly, no. However you open a dialog, it opens beneath Bryce's desktop, which completely covers the Finder's desktop. For the most part, the only indication that you've opened a dialog at all is that you can't click on any other screen elements until you find the right hotspot or key to close the hidden dialog.

However, I just found a second workaround. I've got two monitors* (lucky me :D). When Bryce opens, it only hides the desktop on my main screen. If I choose "Open" (etc.) in Bryce and then click on the Finder desktop on my 2nd screen, the hidden dialog pops in front of the Bryce desktop. If I simply click on it, it vanishes again. If I instead grab the dialog by its title bar and smoothly drag it to my 2nd screen, though, I can work with it. I can work in pure Aqua after all!

*EDIT: Actually, one of the two monitors is just the built-in screen of my Powerbook.

And how does one expand a .sit.txt file?

Just remove the ".txt" extension, and it will behave like any other .sit file.

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 24 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

I've had Bryce for years and I still suck at it.

@rmx256, on Aug 24 2006, 09:43 PM, said in Download Bryce 5.0 for free!:

I've had Bryce for years and I still suck at it.

๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Now I feel really discouraged...

Do the additional free presets work on the mac version?

@guy, on Aug 25 2006, 09:56 AM, said in Download Bryce 5.0 for free!:

Do the additional free presets work on the mac version?

Yes, I downloaded and installed them right after I installed Bryce.

@hamster, on Aug 25 2006, 01:14 AM, said in Download Bryce 5.0 for free!:

Now I feel really discouraged...

Rik only likes programs with names that sound like metal bands.

I can't find my "Poser" tape, Anax, have you seen it?

๐Ÿ˜‰

This post has been edited by rmx256 : 25 August 2006 - 08:59 AM

@rmx256, on Aug 25 2006, 09:58 AM, said in Download Bryce 5.0 for free!:

I can't find my "Poser" tape, Anax, have you seen it?

I borrowed it. It's sitting next to my LightWave Greatest hits CD, along with a Wings tape I found while rummaging about in my cousin's basement.

@hamster, on Aug 25 2006, 11:01 PM, said in Download Bryce 5.0 for free!:

Yes, I downloaded and installed them right after I installed Bryce.

Oh good, I was worried because the download specifically had "PC" in the name.

Well I've downloaded and messed about with it for part of the afternoon and my conclusion isโ€ฆ

drumroll

Bryce makes good nebulas.

EDIT: Wait. How legal is this?

This post has been edited by gray_shirt_ninja : 27 August 2006 - 10:41 PM