Defense Platform (shän)

A first attempt

Last night I did my first attempt at making a ship. It's meh. So I'm offering it up as a freebie 🙂 . Includes shän, rlëD, rlë8, and PICTs. It's meant to be an in-system defense platform, maybe it would be good in a planetary defense fleet? Though it shouldn't be used in a plug with Nova-style graphics 😄 . However, I have no way of posting it directly to the EVDC, as it's a few bytes too big. Is there a free file hosting site somewhere?

Attached File ODP_shipyard.jpg (56.69K)
Number of downloads: 50

You can try using box.net, although sometimes the upload freezes if you try to do somethign else at the same time.

(EDIT)Also, I would try to put a bit more rough edges on it, so its not so smooth, or have something like windows, paintings/symbols, etc. It just seems sort of out a place, unless its a drone of course. And i dont believe you can make a spob turn to face wherever its shooting, unless you made it somehow a shan. So if we dont do it that way, I would put cannons facing in every direction, so that when it fires, the projectile comes out a hole, not the back of a cannon. If you know what i mean. 😄

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 18 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

@chronodrago, on Aug 18 2006, 10:50 AM, said in Defense Platform (shän):

(EDIT)Also, I would try to put a bit more rough edges on it, so its not so smooth, or have something like windows, paintings/symbols, etc. It just seems sort of out a place, unless its a drone of course.

It's automated.

@chronodrago, on Aug 18 2006, 10:50 AM, said in Defense Platform (shän):

And i dont believe you can make a spob turn to face wherever its shooting, unless you made it somehow a shan. So if we dont do it that way, I would put cannons facing in every direction, so that when it fires, the projectile comes out a hole, not the back of a cannon. If you know what i mean. 😄

huh?

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Aug 18 2006, 11:31 AM, said in Defense Platform (shän):

It's automated.

Ah ok.

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Aug 18 2006, 11:31 AM, said in Defense Platform (shän):

huh?

Ok, you said it could be a defense post. But does the defense post always have its cannon facing the same direction its shooting? Spobs can't spin, atleast to my knowledge. It would have to take an ingenious set-up using the shan resource for the cannon to always turn in the direction its shooting.

spos can spin.

Chronodrago is correct. This has been discussed a few times in the past, and the only way to get the barrel to align with the shot is by using Edwards's Visibly Rotating Turrets method.

Can't you make the spoob with a blank graphic, and always have a dude that appears on said spob?
The dude's ship would be the graphic of what the spoob should look like.
Give the dude 0 speed and 0 accel but turning equal to the rate that you want the gun to track. That way it will try to face and fire upon hostile targrets.

Where exactly did gsn say it was going to be a spöb? Because I sure ain't seeing it.

If you simply make it a zero-speed warship, it will appear in orbit around one of the planets in whatever system it is in. This could be even better than attempting to use a spob. And no, I also never saw gsn use the word "spob".

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 18 August 2006 - 04:51 PM

Uh....when he said defense post it sort of translated to spob in my head. My bad.. :laugh:

@edwards, on Aug 18 2006, 02:50 PM, said in Defense Platform (shän):

If you simply make it a zero-speed warship, it will appear in orbit around one of the planets in whatever system it is in. This could be even better than attempting to use a spob. And no, I also never saw gsn use the word "spob".

Edwards

You are correct. That's exactly how I'm using it. I've noticed that when a ship has no fuel and zero speed it never seems to appear in a düde, unless it's part of a defense fleet. This could come in handy.

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Aug 20 2006, 04:21 AM, said in Defense Platform (shän):

You are correct. That's exactly how I'm using it. I've noticed that when a ship has no fuel and zero speed it never seems to appear in a düde, unless it's part of a defense fleet. This could come in handy.

It will still appear as a special ship dude in a mission where you can specifit it to appear over spob 1-4

@desprez, on Aug 20 2006, 07:26 AM, said in Defense Platform (shän):

It will still appear as a special ship dude in a mission where you can specifit it to appear over spob 1-4

That could be incredibly useful.

@desprez, on Aug 20 2006, 10:26 AM, said in Defense Platform (shän):

Actually, any spob. Despite what's stated in the Bible, -1 through -16 all work. MC supports this in its 'helpful' menu.

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 20 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

A correction: a ship with zero fuel will appear. A ship with zero speed will not. This can be useful for plugs that require all ships to use hypergates for one reason or another.

@qaanol, on Aug 18 2006, 08:40 PM, said in Defense Platform (shän):

Chronodrago is correct. This has been discussed a few times in the past, and the only way to get the barrel to align with the shot is by using Edwards's Visibly Rotating Turrets method.

Woah. I should really finalize my graphics for that thing, I almost had it perfect.