AI's weapon selection policy?

So, I'm trying to orchestrate a really neat "cut-scene" type battle----the player jumps into a system, and sees a bunch of Capships firing on the surface of a planet.

Now, I heard somewhere that "Attack enemy spobs" doesn't work right, so I didn't use it or any planet-type weapons. Instead, I set three or four invisible ships to start right over the spob, whom the auxships jumping in really hate.

Here's the problem. Yes, the fleet opens fire on the planet----but not with all their guns. Only with their beam weapons. Now, the beam is cool and all, but it's meant to be a tertiary weapon-----long reload time, non-turreted, only mounted on really huge ships. The vessels jumping in have missiles as well, but they don't use them---mostly. They do now and then, but not all the time.

So, a few questions.

-Can anyone explain in detail how the AI's weapon selection policy works?

-Why did the ships stop using the beams when I made them turreted?

-Why is it that "standoff attacks" seem to imply a fixed distance, rather than max weapons range (eg, they won't use the beams at all if they're too far away)?

-Why do ships executing standoff attacks for whom beams are out of range, not try their other weapons?

I checked, and none of the weapons have the "exclusive" flag.

I'm not to sure on the answer on any of those but why don't you model your ships after the Auroran Cruisers? Those do standoff attacks and dont have beams. And that brings up a second question. Why don't you just create new ship resources of the aux ships you want to use and then just put on weapon outfits that have long reload times and that are "tertiary" weapons. It would fix the problem and probably simpler.

It's not really the answer to your question, but why not make an actual cutscene? Like, with a movie file?

I just tested and have confirmed that "Attack Enemy Spobs" does work properly in 1.0.A. I've been told that the flag caused a crash on the Windows side as of 1.0.6, but I don't know if that's been fixed or not.

It did, and it has. It was fixed for 1.0.9.

@belthazar, on Aug 10 2006, 07:01 AM, said in AI's weapon selection policy?:

It's not really the answer to your question, but why not make an actual cutscene? Like, with a movie file?

Because I have no experience doing that, and it'd look pretty bad.

Besides, there's not a whole lot of combat in EVN Firefly anyway; it'd do the player good to see an Alliance fleet in action.

On a related note, if a ship goal is "destroy all ships", and all ships are destroyed without the player firing a shot, does that count as a goal completed?

This post has been edited by Lindley : 10 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

Sure does. Else it would now be impossible for the player to complete the mission.

I agree, but I can't recall any instances where the enemy ships were actually destroyed by someone other than you or the auxillary ships... It sort of seems like being a wimp by just hiding while others do the dirty work, but then that makes you a smart wimp. :laugh:

@chronodrago, on Aug 11 2006, 12:07 AM, said in AI's weapon selection policy?:

I agree, but I can't recall any instances where the enemy ships were actually destroyed by someone other than you or the auxillary ships... It sort of seems like being a wimp by just hiding while others do the dirty work, but then that makes you a smart wimp. :laugh:

Actually, the biggest flaw I've found in the EV series so far is that you too often have to do this. For some reason, they ALWAYS set the special ships to attack the player. Huh?

"Sir! Enemy fleet jumping in!"
"Alert the captains! Get a defense fleet out there!"
"That <PN> is with them!"
"Crap! Focus on him first! I don't care if the whole fleet gets destroyed by the rest of the enemy fleet! Focus on HIM!"

Yes, some of them would engage you, but not all. Generally, a fleet attacks the enemy fleet, not the random mercenary who happens to be joining the fleet.

Even worse is when it's more than two - like, six or so. Example? Fight to be Thurokiir. You're ALL SUPPOSED TO BE DUELLING! Why the hell do they all team up on you?!? Are they conspiring against you? Do they plan to split the title six ways?

I want to be part of the battle, not the idiot 3 screens away trying to stay alive while the allied fleet shreds the enemy fleet. Forgive me, but that just doesn't immerse me.