Plugin changes not honored? EVN, Win

n00b question alert

I just downloaded EVNew 1.0.4 the other day. I wanted to try something very simple since I've never modded for Nova before. So I tried making it so you can buy 100mm turreted railguns anywhere and anywhen.

I opened Nova Data 4, with all the outfits in it. I copied the 100mm turret entry. Then I made a new resource file, and pasted the outfit into that new resource. It seemed sensible. Then I changed the outfit's Government to -1, and cleared Requires and Availability. I also set the Tech Level to 1 and Buy chance to 100% for good measure.

Net effect? Nothing whatsoever. Looking at the values, it looks like you should see them literally EVERYWHERE, but I haven't seen one for sale.

I made a debuglog.txt, and it does list my plugin as being read. None of the Warning: lines are for the resource ID's of the 100mm turret's outfit or weapon.

So what the heck is going on? It's probably something really stupid, but please....

Hmm... What is the ID of your 100mm railgun turret? Is it the same as the ID of the original stuff in Nova Data 4? It should be. From what you say there does not seem to be stuff missing. Could you attach your plug so that we may have a look at it to see what's wrong?

Well I just copied the thing straight across, sure looks to be the same everything. I also tried tossing the weapon resource in there, thinking that maybe it also had to be in the same place, but no dic.

http://chapterhouse2...w/buyt100mm.rez

No dic, eh? That isn't something you should admit on a public board...

The plug worked on my version of Nova... I guess I can share some things I've read elsewhere...

1. Are you registered? I've never played the unregistered version (at least, not with plugs attached) - so that may be your problem.

2. Did you start a new pilot? I don't know if this is necessary, but my new pilot was able to buy it at Snowmelt.

3. Do you have the 30 tons available to equip it? Just make a modded version of the Sigma Mass Addition that allows you to get 30 tons, and try to buy it again.

Maybe show us the pilotlog or something?

Actually the problem appears to be that Extra Outfits was overriding my changes. I played the hokey-pokey with all the plugins I have, and part 1 of Extra Outfits is the culprit. Take it out, and the turrets show up for sale.

Which begs the question, how does the game determine which plugin to utilize if more than one has the same resource ID for an entry... Personally I would have said logically it should be the more recent one that wins, but that's definitely not what's going on.

@momaw, on Jul 24 2006, 09:49 AM, said in Plugin changes not honored? EVN, Win:

Which begs the question, how does the game determine which plugin to utilize if more than one has the same resource ID for an entry... Personally I would have said logically it should be the more recent one that wins, but that's definitely not what's going on.

On a Mac, the plugs are read in alphabetical order, so that putting a "z" at the beginning of your plug's name should get it to override almost anything else. I think the same trick works on a PC.

The same trick does work on the PC.

Mitschu- Momaw meant "dice." And the socially unacceptable term I believe you're looking for is d*ck.

In fact, the way the resource is found (when there are more than one with the same type and the same ID) comes from and is by design from the Holy Resource Manager: it searches files from the most recently open to the first open (usually the System file), stopping when it finds a suitable resource. Since EVs open plug-ins in alphabetical order, it finds the one resource from the file which comes last in alphabetical order, which means this one overrides the one from the other plug-in. This is also the way plug-ins override data from the data files: the data files are opened first, then the plug-ins. In fact, it also applies to resources from the Nova app: these have been opened first, so they can be overrided by resource from a plug-in. All thanks in part to Bruce Horn.

@dr--trowel, on Jul 25 2006, 12:22 AM, said in Plugin changes not honored? EVN, Win:

the plugs are read in alphabetical order

@zacha-pedro, on Jul 25 2006, 05:50 AM, said in Plugin changes not honored? EVN, Win:

the data files are opened first, then the plug-ins

Specifically, it loads the Nova Files folder in alphabetical order, then the Nova Plug-ins folder in alphabetical order. Thus it's possible to place one's plugin in the Nova Files folder in order to have it load after the Nova Files but before the Plugins... if you didn't want to give it a funny name... like aaReturn to S7evyn. Or something. 🙂