"Pers" help for a noob

Unused ID's won't cooperate

I'm sure there's a simple explanation...

Windows platform, using EVNEW:

All I want to do is add a couple of guys into the mix without replacing any of the existing ones. The pers IDs from 644 to whatever are supposed to be open, and by all rights, they should work...but they aren't. If I use an existing ID (128, for example), replacing a pers that's already there, my guy shows up. If I use an "unused" ID (644, for example), it doesn't. What am I missing, here?

On a related note: I select a color for the ship, and I get something else in the game. What's up with that?

Someone please help before I pull out what's left of my hair :mad:

You're not missing anything. Just start a new pilot.

You know the game saves which përs are mad at you or are dead, well, the përs that didn't exist at the time your pilot was started have been flagged as dead. Therefore, when you add a përs with a new ID, it's already dead for an existing pilot, while it isn't if you reuse an existing ID since it reuses the "existence" information of the përs you override this way. If you start a new pilot, your new përs with a new ID will appear since this përs exists when the pilot is started.

@gigermann, on Jul 6 2006, 11:41 AM, said in "Pers" help for a noob:

On a related note: I select a color for the ship, and I get something else in the game. What's up with that?

Hmm... possibly a bug with EVNEW? Perhaps something is writing the colour field incorrectly.

@zacha-pedro, on Jul 6 2006, 02:46 AM, said in "Pers" help for a noob:

You're not missing anything. Just start a new pilot.

You know the game saves which përs are mad at you or are dead, well, the përs that didn't exist at the time your pilot was started have been flagged as dead.

Simple...like I said. 😉 Thanx

@belthazar, on Jul 6 2006, 02:12 AM, said in "Pers" help for a noob:

Hmm... possibly a bug with EVNEW? Perhaps something is writing the colour field incorrectly.

I doubt, unless he isnt using the newest EVNEW program. The coloring on mine works fine, just he needs to be reminded that the color will not be solid becuase the color is an overlay and therefore the ships original shading will be shown underneath, such as lines and dark spots and vent holes.

@chronodrago, on Jul 7 2006, 10:09 AM, said in "Pers" help for a noob:

The coloring on mine works fine

Ditto for me, which is why I was a little puzzled.

I am aware that the color selection is an overlay, and I know what that should look like. However, I pick a blue color (for instance) and I get a purple color...I'm an artist, so I know the difference :rolleyes:. That being said, I have noticed a bit of a pattern with it, that it seems to be using the color down-and-right from the one picked.

As far as I know, I have the latest build of EVNEW. If I'm the only one having this issue, then it is obviously a "local" problem. Not that it's a particularly terrible issue, just a minor annoyance.

Two questions about the ship color:

1. Which version of the game do you have? There is a note in the 1.0.9 changelog that "pers coloring has been fixed", so if you're running 1.0.6, upgrading might fix the problem.
  2. Which ship are you trying to color? The Vell-os ships never come out right, but they're generally farther off than you're describing.

Edwards