Type 1 Errors and their various causes.

EV-Edit and data corruption??

I heard on one of these boards recently (I don't remember which one) that EV-Edit can corrupt your data files and require a reinstallation of EV. The problem manifests itself as a false Type 1 error message on startup of EV or the opening of a plub in EV-Edit (or at least that was the case with me). This happened finally today, although in honesty I ran into even more trouble with EVONE. I've now reinstalled EV and EV-Edit and ditched EVONE altogether since I can't get it to work, but now EV won't even start up when running with no plug-ins at all, and EV-Edit won't even start a template. I ran Disk First Aid and found nothing, so I'm going to check my RAM tonight when I finish writing this, but I still think it's the OS. Somehow it got corrupted or pulled out of adjustment too, since I've tried everything including zapping the PRAM, rebuilding the desktop, deleting the preferences, and the reinstallation of practically everything. I'm worried now that if I'm ever going to play EV again, I'll have to rebuild my entire hard drive, even though many of my installation disks (for practical stuff and games alike) are 4000 miles away!!! Does anyone know what's going on here so that I can avoid rebuilding the drive??? After 10 years of development, somebody else must have had this problem by now, right??

Here, roughly, are some of my basic system specifications (I can't remember them all right now):

Apple Powerbook G3/400Mhz (1999 model)
192MB RAM
6.0GB HD formatted in MacOS standard
Mac OS 9.0.4
Zip 250 Drive (hot swappable with the DVD, which I wasn't using)

EV 1.0.5
EV-Edit 3.3.2
Plug-ins: EV Tuner, Merger 1.1.1, another plug-in I was developing from Merger 1.1.1 using EV-Edit and Resedit

Somebody please see if they can get back to me on this.

-BW

Don't resort to such stuff, it might just be your EV data files which are corrupted. Just try re-reinstalling EV (while keeping your pilots and plugs in a safe place, of course), and trash its prefs in the system, and it should work.

EV-Edit is the antechrist. In your case I would advise NovaTools. Enjoy it while you have a computer that can run it.

There's an OS9 version of MissionComputer, right? Try that as well. EV-Edit did indeed suck.

And it was a shareware too.

Can't hurt to upgrade to 9.1 either, 9.0.4 also did suck. Though where you'd find an economically priced copy is beyond me.
/me hugs his 9500 and install disks.

Why are you using Mac OS Standard?

@rmx256, on May 13 2006, 09:37 AM, said in Type 1 Errors and their various causes.:

Can't hurt to upgrade to 9.1 either, 9.0.4 also did suck. Though where you'd find an economically priced copy is beyond me.
/me hugs his 9500 and install disks.

Isn't the upgrade free? Heck, isn't OS 9 entirely free by now anyway? Also, 9.2.2 is the final version.

Zacha, what are you talking about? NovaTools can't edit EVO data (except spins). Though you can get the R&R outfit and govt editors.

If you don't need the whole OSX BS then 9.1 is much better, IMHO. 9.2.2 is mostly to be run as 'classic', right?

Damn, I'm moving forward a bit too much and forget the old stuff...

9.1 was the last true Classic OS update. 9.2.2 improved compatibility for classic within OSX. I use novatools on osx (classic mode) and i find they usually work fine, just remember to save often and only edit one entry at a time. There is an OS9 missioncomputer, however NovaTools is much faster, if you know what your doing. Missioncomputer has some built-in hints, and descriptions of how to use some fields.

@zacha-pedro, on May 12 2006, 02:16 PM, said in Type 1 Errors and their various causes.:

Don't resort to such stuff, it might just be your EV data files which are corrupted. Just try re-reinstalling EV (while keeping your pilots and plugs in a safe place, of course), and trash its prefs in the system, and it should work.

EV-Edit is the antechrist. In your case I would advise NovaTools. Enjoy it while you have a computer that can run it.

Well, the main problem is that I´ve reinstalled EV and all the editors three times, along with the prefs, and the problems just keep getting worse. Of course, rebuilding the hard drive will also allow me to format it in Mac OS extended. The only reason it´s in standard is that´s how it came from the reconditioner. I had to upgrade it to 9.0.4 from 8.6 at the time, so I know my installation disks work, at least. I just forgot to get out Drive Setup and do it right. 🙂 Thanks everyone.