Make yourself invincible 2

The easier way

Use the escape pod ID (895) for your ship. Nothing can hit or hurt you 🆒

Only one problem: You can't exit to the main menu :huh:

This post has been edited by Guy : 11 April 2006 - 12:47 AM

@guy, on Apr 10 2006, 09:19 PM, said in Make yourself invincible 2:

Use the escape pod ID (895) for your ship. Nothing can hit or hurt you 🆒

Yeah, I used that way back in EVC when I gave up on defeating the Alien Cruiser any other way. It was rather funny to watch this tiny sliver running around in a swarm of Hunter-Seeker drones, spitting out torpedoes at a ridiculous rate.

As an alternative in standard EVN, you can set your ship to be planet-type, but that could cause problems if an AI uses that ship.

Also, the "negative Shields = abs(Shields)*5" trick still works in EVN, so you could end up with a ship with 163,840 shields before outfits. Add on a few hundred maximum-speed shield rechargers, and you're more invincible than any ship in Nova except Cap'n Hector (and even she can't actually defeat you. Trust me.). Too bad this doesn't work for armor as well.

Edwards

Couldn't you just make your mask be completely transparent? Then nothing would be able to hit you, so your shields would be irrelevant.

You couldn't see you either.

You could see yourself with Alt sprites. I did some testing a while back and I'm pretty those don't trigger shots. Does anyone know if ProxRadius can be triggered by an invisible ship? And how does the RLE collision bug come into play?

Ahh, right, I keep forgetting that the mask is a transparency mask in addition to a collision mask. If we were using PNG files instead of PICTs, transparency would be built into the image format. However, PNGs weren't at all common when EVC came out.

PICTs can be whatever you like, including PNG. Of course, Nova 1.0.9 won't recognise them and any version of Nova won't recognise transparency. But that's all beside the point because we're supposed to use RLEs and not PICTs for sprites.

Can't use the escape pod as an AI ship though 😞

@guy, on Apr 11 2006, 05:30 PM, said in Make yourself invincible 2:

Can't use the escape pod as an AI ship though 😞

Why not? If you can use an escape type ship like a Manta for an AI ship, why not an escape pod?