3D Star maps

I was just thinking...

I guess this thought comes from the STN: TFF map poll. I've read several posts explaining how the Nova map is two dimensional and so forces plug makers to flatten space when they design their galaxies. Martin Turner used this idea in Frozen Heart for a plot point, which I guess re-inforced it in peoples' minds...

But it is possible to make a map that's at least half way to being 3d.

Practically speaking, it's easy to make the pop-up map connect systems in a three dimensional way; it's just a matter of how you link them together. Since you can think of three linked systems as being connected in any plane you like, if you connect them with three other systems, you can have the two planes defined by these 6 systems intersecting however you want. Since there's no practical difference (you can't actually fly between systems, which are only linked by hyperlinks or hypergates) you can consider groups of systems as relating in any number of planes: two, three, seven, etc. You're ultimately limited by the number of hyperlinks allowed per system, but those are ample to represent 3d relationships. Long before you run out of links, you run out of room for your systems on the screen. In fact, the limiting factor is visual layout. It gets very crowded and confusing very quickly.

I did a little bit of fiddling to try the idea out and I have some screen captures.

Cubic space:
Attached File cubicmap.jpg (50.9K)
Number of downloads: 152

A bad approximation of a half dome. Kind of pretty:
Attached File halfsphere.jpg (32.46K)
Number of downloads: 151

I also made one that's in the shape of a geodesic, but it's even uglier.

Now this idea is mostly a curiosity. It isn't terribly useful for most people, really anyone with a large galaxy, because the map starts looking ugly as you try to represent more complex space. But maybe someone will find a use for it at some point.

Anyway, I thought it was an entertaining idea. Hope I wan't too confusing trying to explain it: my maths skills have eroded since I last studied maths in high school.

Bubbles

(edit: struggling for clarity)

This post has been edited by Bubbles : 28 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

Wow, excellent. It could definitely be adapted for use with more complex star systems, though the more complex the less the effect would be noticable. Oh the ideas....

I think Qaanol brought this up a while ago.

Or was it Edwards?

Cool 2nd map -- As far as I remember, I haven't seen a map before that attempts to get an illusion of 3D out of something other than a rectangular lattice.

As for your first map, the idea has been discussed before, but yours has a particular stark beauty in its exacting precision. Check out Arturo's version in the thread I just linked, though.

And done with more variety. Fair enough. I had fun playing around, though.

That's pretty cool.

On a similar note, I'm planning on simulating the idea that space is larger than it actually is by having 'greyed out' systems scattered about using nebu's— similar to an unavailable menu item. This could give the impression of more 3-d space.