An EVDC wiki?

A possiblity?

I'm posting this to ask for feed back on creating an EVDC wiki.

I have webspace I'd be willing to use to host it and believe it would a be convenient place to gather all the literature (Zacha's Annotated Templates for example) and guides people have made for the developing for the EV series.

What do others think?

I think it'd be a really good idea if you can get enough people with lots of time -- not only for content creation, but for fixing issues that might come up on pages that we don't want changed (though I think the EVDC community's a pretty honest bunch).

I thought about the wiki concept earlier but haven't had any time to think about it since. I was actually thinking about a general EV wiki though, just putting together all the EV games and probably plug-ins. I don't know if you would necessarily want to make something so big though, and a solely EVDC one could work pretty well.

(Edit) Oh, and it'd be nice to have a page/article titled "cool Nova hacks." (/Edit)

This post has been edited by Firebird : 04 March 2005 - 12:36 AM

This had crossed my mind, too -- a Wiki could be a great idea!

I haven't had a lot of experience with Wikis, so I don't know what safeguards can be built into them that deal with data loss through acts of malice, incoherence, and stupidity, and that don't require a lot of human maintenance work.

To give an example of what can go wrong, when I checked the Wiki for the game VegaStrike a few months ago, it looked like vast swaths of not-quite-useless obsolete info had been replaced with absolutely-useless gaps in the data.

How about tying the Wiki to this (or another) web-board, so that major changes to entries have to go up for board discussion before they can be applied to the Wiki?

A different board-linking idea: creating a new Wiki entry automatically creates a board topic with the entry pasted into the first post, and the Wiki page gets an unchangable "original author" link to the board topic. Then, if later the wiki page goes through massive changes, the board topic will still show the author's original vision and will (hopefully) include discussion of what changes were made, and why.

I'd thought that wikis tracked changes by person and what changes they made? If that's the case, you should be able to revert to an earlier state with little trouble. Limiting access is always an option, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

~ SP

I think that there would be a good chance that it would be used about as much as the search function, especially by new members...

Dr. Trowel, on Mar 4 2005, 01:09 AM, said:

This had crossed my mind, too -- a Wiki could be a great idea!

I haven't had a lot of experience with Wikis, so I don't know what safeguards can be built into them that deal with data loss through acts of malice, incoherence, and stupidity, and that don't require a lot of human maintenance work.

To give an example of what can go wrong, when I checked the Wiki for the game VegaStrike a few months ago, it looked like vast swaths of not-quite-useless obsolete info had been replaced with absolutely-useless gaps in the data.

How about tying the Wiki to this (or another) web-board, so that major changes to entries have to go up for board discussion before they can be applied to the Wiki?

A different board-linking idea: creating a new Wiki entry automatically creates a board topic with the entry pasted into the first post, and the Wiki page gets an unchangable "original author" link to the board topic. Then, if later the wiki page goes through massive changes, the board topic will still show the author's original vision and will (hopefully) include discussion of what changes were made, and why.
View Post

I'm not sure how we'd go about board linking, as for now I don't think this would be affilated with Ambrosia (other than being for one of its games). So we'd have to figure out away to do this.

SpacePirate, on Mar 4 2005, 02:07 AM, said:

I'd thought that wikis tracked changes by person and what changes they made? If that's the case, you should be able to revert to an earlier state with little trouble. Limiting access is always an option, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

~ SP
View Post

If I set it up I'd use MediaWiki, which is what is used for Wikipedia. It does have a history feature.

For absolutely no reason whatsoever, I think it would be an awesome idea if you emailed me. 🙂

kontik.net > evula.com

/me prepares to get lynched by the Almighty Emperor EVula

No, seriously, everything gets put on EVula's site. Why?

This post has been edited by Agent_Vast : 07 March 2005 - 05:13 PM

Heh. That's far too amusing for me to lynch you over. 😛

Sounds like a brilliant idea. This sounds like my idea of a 'best of' section, only much better and like more of a serious idea rather than a randomly thrown thought
And EVula, I must congratulate you on your near mastery of being vaguely horrifying without seeming to try. In your honor I have taught Safari 'EVula'.

Sounds cool, hope you go ahead an create it. I didn't quite understand one thing though. Would the content just be Development related, or related to the gameplay too?

EVDC = Escape Velocity Developers Corner so development related.

Ah, I just picked out 'EV' and 'wiki', i have a habbit of not reading posts properly :(. Ah well sounds cool

I know Bob has webhosting, but would it be enough? Would ASW host this? Does EVula even have enough? Something like this could take up a signifigant chunk of space. There has to be thousands of tips and things scatered through this forum for all of the EVs.

Agent_Vast, on Mar 7 2005, 06:05 PM, said:

No, seriously, everything gets put on EVula's site. Why?

Because EVula = t3h_3mp0r3r. Duh.

rmx256, on Mar 8 2005, 05:45 PM, said:

I know Bob has webhosting, but would it be enough? Would ASW host this? Does EVula even have enough? Something like this could take up a signifigant chunk of space. There has to be thousands of tips and things scatered through this forum for all of the EVs.
View Post

It has been taken care of and does not reside on ASW, EVula's Lair, or the KRF cryptic grin

I can contribute a small ammount of time if you need any help, Bob.

The Real Darth Bob, on Mar 8 2005, 11:11 PM, said:

It has been taken care of and does not reside on ASW, EVula's Lair, or the KRF cryptic grin
View Post

Don't you think it should be held in the ASW community somewhere?

The Real Darth Bob, on Mar 8 2005, 05:11 PM, said:

View Post

'tis a shame.

EVula, on Mar 9 2005, 03:34 PM, said:

'tis a shame.
View Post

Sorry, but right now it is part of another project and I feel like it would be better to keep it on the same domain as the project. However, I would be grateful if I could put up a rss headline feed on the lair somewhere.