What happened to the EV Image Gallery?

I'm very confused... The EV Image Gallery just disappeared off the list. Where'd it go? My world's in shambles :mad:

Matrix

It's near the bottom of the forums list. This is the new link.

Lit Nerd

At the very top of the page there are a series of links. Click on Gallery. Wooh.

the old IG is read only.

Now we just have a gallery.

Didn't Cold Stone have an image gallery as well, if so, I haven't seen it being added to the others. And I think this thread should be locked up or something.

Coraxus, on Sep 13 2004, 08:07 PM, said:

And I think this thread should be locked up or something.
View Post

(somewhat put off)That's pretty cold. Asking to lock up a guy's legitimate question...(/somewhat put off)

I dunno... I liked the old board's format better. It kinda sucks that all of the old topics have been lost. Could someone repost the information about the Aftermath Graphics Contest? I didn't have that page saved... Have I been living in a hole? Did anyone ask us whether we wanted a change or not? I'm pretty frustrated about it all. I mean I only go to two boards here, the Developer's Board and the EVIG. It's a pain when there's no indication that a change was even planned. It just happened. Blargh :mad:

(EDIT) What's the maximum file size you can upload on the gallery? I tried to upload an old image like 124k (1024x576 JPEG), and it wouldn't let me.

Matrix

This post has been edited by what_is_the_matrix : 13 September 2004 - 05:44 PM

There you go

The Aftermath competition page

I tracked it, seems it´s still there... 😮

Now hurry up and save it... before they delete it :p...

This post has been edited by modesty_blaise_us : 13 September 2004 - 06:08 PM

what_is_the_matrix, on Sep 13 2004, 03:26 PM, said:

(somewhat put off)That's pretty cold. Asking to lock up a guy's legitimate question...(/somewhat put off)

I dunno... I liked the old board's format better. It kinda sucks that all of the old topics have been lost. Could someone repost the information about the Aftermath Graphics Contest? I didn't have that page saved... Have I been living in a hole? Did anyone ask us whether we wanted a change or not? I'm pretty frustrated about it all. I mean I only go to two boards here, the Developer's Board and the EVIG. It's a pain when there's no indication that a change was even planned. It just happened. Blargh :mad:

(EDIT) What's the maximum file size you can upload on the gallery? I tried to upload an old image like 124k (1024x576 JPEG), and it wouldn't let me.

Matrix
View Post

I totally agree. Dev Board and EVIG are the only boards I really visit, and the IG has been destroyed. It makes me really sad. Now the gallery is not reader friendly, which means that posting will probably slow and it won't be such a great place to get crits on ships and stuff. The EVIG was always my favorite of all the gallery forums I visit. CGtalk just upgraded to something similar to the old system and it's great.

This post has been edited by sparky : 13 September 2004 - 06:51 PM

I still think that there should have been a poll or something here to see what we wanted for the image gallery. I know I would have said "Make it like it was before!" Oh well, I guess the mods have minds of their own.

Matrix

Are the different colour schemes for the boards going to come back sometime? They looked good like that. And how come this no longer called the developer's corner?

Coraxus, on Sep 14 2004, 08:07 AM, said:

Didn't Cold Stone have an image gallery as well, if so, I haven't seen it being added to the others. And I think this thread should be locked up or something.
View Post

Locking is for moderators to decide on.

Guy, on Sep 14 2004, 01:20 PM, said:

Are the different colour schemes for the boards going to come back sometime? They looked good like that. And how come this no longer called the developer's corner?
View Post

The colours are being worked on, so is the title. It's on the to-do list anyway.

what_is_the_matrix, on Sep 13 2004, 11:26 PM, said:

(somewhat put off)I dunno... I liked the old board's format better. It kinda sucks that all of the old topics have been lost. Could someone repost the information about the Aftermath Graphics Contest? I didn't have that page saved... Have I been living in a hole? Did anyone ask us whether we wanted a change or not? I'm pretty frustrated about it all. I mean I only go to two boards here, the Developer's Board and the EVIG. It's a pain when there's no indication that a change was even planned. It just happened. Blargh :mad:View Post

The details of the Aftermath Graphics Competition can also be found on our public forum

As for what ASW do with the forums, the standard topic thread layout used for standard discussion threads really wasn't working for me. At any rate, if they polled us all on what they should do with the EVIG, they'd never get anywhere with the upgrade. The new model has a lot going for it, give it a little time 😉

Hudson, on Sep 14 2004, 11:19 AM, said:

The details of the Aftermath Graphics Competition can also be found on our public forum

As for what ASW do with the forums, the standard topic thread layout used for standard discussion threads really wasn't working for me. At any rate, if they polled us all on what they should do with the EVIG, they'd never get anywhere with the upgrade. The new model has a lot going for it, give it a little time 😉
View Post

Thanks for the contest info. Still have a lot to model... Probably am going to have to think of a way of reducing that. Maybe the scene won't need the extras... hmm... Anyway, should be interested.

I didn't really like the standard topic thread layout (after the switchover), either, but I thought that the old layout was really great. I wish we could have gone back to something similar. :sigh: Oh well.

Matrix

what really bothers me, is the fact that you can´t have a comment in the same post as the picture, certainly not a comment with a link.

So if i want to post a giant picture or a movie, i´ll have to put the link to them in the first post..
Looks damn unprofessional..

Please someone tell me how to do this, or fix the gallery so that it is possible...

Yeah, that's really annoying.

I also find it hard to read the original poster's comments because they're bold and in blue against a lighter blue background. It seems really weird to me to have the first post's comments packed over on the left and then have the image with so much space below. Wouldn't it make more sense to put a thumbnail at the the top and allow the original poster's comments to take up more room below?

This post has been edited by sparky : 14 September 2004 - 01:21 PM

These "Member's" galleries make things so much more complicated. It's hard to tell where things are posted. Also, there's no way to simply see from the menu whether there are new posts or not, and if there are, you can't tell if it's anything that you're interested in (I'm really only interested in sci-fi images, so I really don't care about groups of people drinking beer, or webcam photos of members, etc). And I still haven't figured out if you can get to the gallery from anywhere other than the link near the top of all the pages (ie, from the board menu).

By the way, is anyone else entering a model in the Lightwave Group August/September modeling contest (it ends tomorrow)?

Matrix

what_is_the_matrix, on Sep 14 2004, 09:54 PM, said:

By the way, is anyone else entering a model in the Lightwave Group August/September modeling contest (it ends tomorrow)?

Matrix
View Post

What is the Lightwave Group August/September modeling contest.. Do you need to use Lightwave to model it..

just curious..

And.. Why can i only edit my comments in my own gallery. And not in others.
Well you´ll all have to live with my sloppy(don´t know if that is the right word) writing...

This post has been edited by modesty_blaise_us : 14 September 2004 - 05:26 PM

I would rather them have stuck to something like the old format. I think that was one of the reasons I really liked the old boards despite their lack of such nifty features as sticky posts and personal messaging; I really do not like the new galleries for what they do.

Why?

- Thumbnail picture is deformed
- No hot-linking so images must be compressed
- All galleries mixed together
- No top-down list view or way to tell easily a new image
- The link to the gallery is very obscure, and does not indicate that there's an EVx-related gallery

I'm not entering the LWG contest. Good luck though (who are you over there?)

sparky, on Sep 14 2004, 11:43 PM, said:

I'm not entering the LWG contest. Good luck though (who are you over there?)
View Post

CrippledPidgeon... I'm still wondering why I chose that screen name (in my defense, I'd never do anything to actually harm a pigeon, just I don't like them much - there's a long story behind that name). I haven't used it in a long time, so I must have chosen it at least a year or two ago. I doubt you've ever seen me, though. I only have 3 posts (in total - all within the last day), and two of them are in the contest thread. It really sucks. There's a cap on the maximum number of characters in a name, and "what_is_the_matrix" doesn't fit. Actually, there are only three forums that I surf that allow my full screenname.

Matrix