EVO Questions

Does anyone know if standard EV override plug-ins will work with the Override-for-Nova TC? The installation readme seemed to indicate that they would, but I can't any of them to work. If I hold option while launching, it brings up a window that shows the plugins in the folder, but they don't have any effect on the actual game.

In case it's relevant, I'm on a mac mini running os 10.7.5

No, Override plugins will not work in Nova. If you want to have the same experience in Nova, you'll have to download a plug-in editor and re-write it. Mission Computer is the go-to editor for Mac, but i don't know if that'll work on your machine.

@sklent, on 10 June 2014 - 03:00 PM, said in EVO Questions:

No, Override plugins will not work in Nova. If you want to have the same experience in Nova, you'll have to download a plug-in editor and re-write it. Mission Computer is the go-to editor for Mac, but i don't know if that'll work on your machine.

Thanks. I'd seen the "Override plugins will not work in Nova" bit before, but didn't know if it still applied within the override TC.

I wanted to play the Starwars TC within the override TC, but re-writing that plugin would take a lot of learning on my part. I think it would be easier to get an OS9 emulator and just download the original Override.

Well, I just got hit by the nostalgia train. It's funny to see people liked EV Override more for the same reasons, mostly aliens and the exploration potential.

I remember that when I first played the game, twelve years ago, I immediately did everything to try and side with the Voinians. There was no indication that such a thing was possible, but the game let you do whatever you wanted anyways ! Definitely a fantastic game.

I'm going to launch it up again and get to The Rock as quickly as possible, because I remember the place as being cool. That's how much EVO is loveable. Big, big kudos to the devs, and to mr. Cartwright for the extra lore, too.

Can anybody help me get this game running?

Read this link to see where I'm at.

Quick couple questions:

How do I unlock the Crescent Warship and Neutron Turrets?

1. Go somewhere in the Crescent with a high tech level. Try Mirava or any Strand homeworld, and a few other random places (Zachit, South Tip Station, etc. No unlocking necessary. Make sure you're worth more than 10M before buying

2. Do missions for the UE involving a Voinian defector and the reopening of Paaren Station. Once the station opens, help yourself to Voinian weaponry and armor.

@geek, on 25 November 2014 - 09:13 PM, said in EVO Questions:

1. Go somewhere in the Crescent with a high tech level. Try Mirava or any Strand homeworld, and a few other random places (Zachit, South Tip Station, etc. No unlocking necessary. Make sure you're worth more than 10M before buying

2. Do missions for the UE involving a Voinian defector and the reopening of Paaren Station. Once the station opens, help yourself to Voinian weaponry and armor.

A couple more questions:

1- Why do some ships pass only 1 day when jumping in to hyperspace and other pass 3 days? Why is this?

2- How do I get the UE Cruiser? I understand when you do the Investigate Abduction mission you have to board The Nadir before you destroy it. If you do destroy it, can you open your file again and try it again? Once you are successful doing this, do you get the ship? Please explain the UE Cruiser situation in full to me if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Hyperspace jump time is dependent on the mass of your ship. Every ship has a mass value that doesn't change no matter what you do. You can see this value when you get info on a ship in the shipyard. Ships with a mass of 0-99 tons take only one day. Ships with a mass of 100-199 tons take two days. Lastly, ships 200 tons or more take three days.

To unlock the UE Cruiser you must complete the Investigate Abduction string of missions. If you destroy the Nadir before boarding it, the mission fails. If you do not land after destroying the Nadir, then you can still reload your pilot file and try again. However, rescuing Anna Balashova only unlocks the UE Cruiser. You still need to raise the funds to buy one. The UE Cruiser costs 10.5 million credits and can be found in any UE shipyard once unlocked.

@darthkev, on 08 December 2014 - 05:58 AM, said in EVO Questions:

Hyperspace jump time is dependent on the mass of your ship. Every ship has a mass value that doesn't change no matter what you do. You can see this value when you get info on a ship in the shipyard. Ships with a mass of 0-99 tons take only one day. Ships with a mass of 100-199 tons take two days. Lastly, ships 200 tons or more take three days.

To unlock the UE Cruiser you must complete the Investigate Abduction string of missions. If you destroy the Nadir before boarding it, the mission fails. If you do not land after destroying the Nadir, then you can still reload your pilot file and try again. However, rescuing Anna Balashova only unlocks the UE Cruiser. You still need to raise the funds to buy one. The UE Cruiser costs 10.5 million credits and can be found in any UE shipyard once unlocked.

What do you think about the Lazira ship? Is it better than a UE Destroyer? I check out this link and it doesn't give any spec's on the Lazira.

Is there any way to get the Azdgari Warship besides shooting one down, boarding it and taking it as your own ship? You can never buy one?

@bra423, on 09 December 2014 - 03:12 AM, said in EVO Questions:

What do you think about the Lazira ship? Is it better than a UE Destroyer? I check out this link and it doesn't give any spec's on the Lazira.

Is there any way to get the Azdgari Warship besides shooting one down, boarding it and taking it as your own ship? You can never buy one?

you can buy one if you become friendly with the Azdgari and do some of their missions.

edit: as for the Lazira, i always preferred the Arada to the Lazira. i always pretty much start with a scoutship, work my way up to an Arada, and then from there get the Crescent Warship.

This post has been edited by daowei : 09 December 2014 - 03:29 AM

Also, it should be obvious, but human ships are pretty low tech compared to other races in EVO. However, they do have more space than their Crescent counterparts which means they can carry more upgrades. Still, it would be best to invest in a Crescent ship at some point down the line.

The Lazira is awesome because of the combination of its power and its one-day jump-ness due to low mass. I've never managed to love the UE Destroyer - for the time in the game that you get it, a three-day jump ship is a poor option, as a lot of the missions coming up need you to be quicker than that, but it's expensive enough for that time that you would want to keep it for a while! I've also always found it annoyingly slow ... and for a third, I'm not a big secondary weapon user, and don't really enjoy the UE/Voinian fights that much at the best of times - leave those to the UE pilots :). By comparison I rate the Freight-Courier highly for the early game ... but I tend to go for the Miranu Courier, and go fill out the map in Voinian space just because.

The last few times I've played, and it has been a while, I've been frustrated with how hard it seems to be to get the first mission in the UE Cruiser string - I go to New Taranto straight after rescuing the scoutship crew, but nada. In fact, it has kind of put me off continuing in those instances ... not because I want the ship necessarily (and btw isn't it 14.5m credits? :)) but for completeness's sake!

@martinz, on 10 December 2014 - 09:00 PM, said in EVO Questions:

The last few times I've played, and it has been a while, I've been frustrated with how hard it seems to be to get the first mission in the UE Cruiser string - I go to New Taranto straight after rescuing the scoutship crew, but nada. In fact, it has kind of put me off continuing in those instances ... not because I want the ship necessarily (and btw isn't it 14.5m credits? :)/>) but for completeness's sake!

You can't actually get that first mission until you have a combat rating of 6400 or Dangerous. Most players wouldn't have a rating that high by the time you rescue the scoutship crew, especially since that mission only requires a combat rating of 800 or Competent. Essentially, unless you spend a lot of time fighting Voinians/human renegades, you won't unlock the UE Cruiser till after traveling to the Crescent.

As for the price of the UE Cruiser, according to Guy's (unofficial but vastly superior) port of EVO to EVN, the price is 10,500,000 credits. I don't currently have a copy of original EVO or the official port on me so I can't say what those list the price as, but I generally consider Guy's port to be what EVO was always meant to be.

Wow ... I may actually never have known the combat rating requirement! Some games I used to take out defenceless Freighter (trader) vessels right from the start, and use the apparent glitch in the game that made it count crew for every shot you fired while the enemy ship was slowly (especially the Freighter) blowing up - you could get up to competent from about 3 of them. Possibly why I never knew lol. Don't think that trick worked in Guy's port.

Dangerous seems a crazy requirement anyway, given that the missions probably wouldn't be that challenging generally once one had got that far. The only requirements I ever remembered were many of the Miranu and Crescent missions requiring Noteworthy.

I think it's time to play again - might try it on my surface.

@martinz, on 11 December 2014 - 10:47 PM, said in EVO Questions:

Dangerous seems a crazy requirement anyway, given that the missions probably wouldn't be that challenging generally once one had got that far.

you'd be surprised. depending on your ship, armament, and combat style, some of those missions against the voinians can be quite challenging. at the very least many of them require a lot of patience.

Oh yeah the fights against the voinians are by far the most frustrating, especially the patrols to avann and obron omg, I was meaning the missions to unlock the ue cruiser, i.e. Nadir, which are not that hard, from memory at least :). Outside of killing voinians, the only things as hard are the last human renegade mission and the attack the rock mission. That's why i always preferred the crescent, and the Igazra, mmmm.

I think the main reason the UE Cruiser missions require a Dangerous combat rating is because of this bit of text right here:

As you come in to land on F-909, your sensors detect weapons powering up on the planet's surface. Clearly this settlement has its own defences. Numerous blaze cannons are soon firing at your ship, and you are forced to fire the <PSN>'s weapons at the settlement with devastating results.

Note the portion I put in bold. If you were in a weaker ship but managed to get through the missions anyway through sheer piloting skill, this line of text wouldn't make complete sense since you're in a ship without much firepower. That's just my guess, though.

Ha interesting point. I guess I never took that part in fully. Is it the only time such a thing is referenced? Makes it all the more awesome when you think of our crew of one challenge of some years back :).

Only two other instances come to mind where the strength of the player's ship or the player's ability is referenced. The first Zachit mission and the Emalgha mission to attack Ekiup Station in the Romit system. The first Zachit mission also requires a Dangerous combat rating while the Attack Romit mission requires Ultimate.

Zachit Testing Intro said:

A hush descends over the bar as you enter, and all heads turn to look at you. This strange reaction lasts for a moment, before one of the Zacha stands and steps towards you. "We've heard of you, <PN>. It's said you're an incredible pilot - for a human. Is that true?"

Attack Romit Brief said:

There are cheers which spread all throughout the moonbase as you agree to join the taskforce. Tales of your combat prowess and of the <PSN>'s firepower have reached even the isolated Emalgha. You are told that the fleet will depart for the Romit system immediately, where you will destroy all Voinian ships in the system and then rendezvous at Ekiup station, which should have been captured by Emalgha troops.