EVO Questions

@u-e--admiral, on Jan 20 2007, 09:06 PM, said in EVO Questions:

More pronunciation questions. ... uh ... All of them. 😃

Sorry! Zachit is all you're getting, or we'd be here all year. 🙂

I will only say that the little empty system Chorca is pronounced Kor-cha, rather than the more expected Chor-ka. 🙂

Dingle?

Why?

@pac, on Jan 20 2007, 04:38 PM, said in EVO Questions:

I will only say that the little empty system Chorca is pronounced Kor-cha, rather than the more expected Chor-ka. 🙂

My universe is shattered.

@u-e--admiral, on Jan 20 2007, 01:06 PM, said in EVO Questions:

<snip>

Alright, well, here's how I've always pronounced some of the major races (more notably, the ones with the tougher pronounciations):

Voinian - Voy-nee-an
Miranu - Meer-uh-new
Azdgari - Az-duh-gar-ee
Igadzra - Ih-gads-ruh

The more notable characters:

Imir (of the Miranu) - Ih-mer
Commander/Vice Admiral D'Erlon - Dur-lahn

And that's all I'll put (or can think of at this moment).

I always pronounced Voinian "voh-ih-nee-in" and Miranu "mir-AAH-new". Move your mouse over each part of those pronunciations for even more clarification as to what I'm trying to say (or rather, how I'm trying to say it 😛 ).

This post has been edited by Nil'kimas : 20 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

Darn, looks like I stumbled onto the topic of the century a little late. Mr. Cartwright, I must say, it is an honor to have you here, you are truly a god among men.

I do have one, rather tedious question to ask... was the "experimental" secondary weapon used against the Azdgari ever meant to turn any tides? Perhaps it was the beginning of a strand i didn't finish and thus never found out (it's been a long time since i played override, but I can tell you I spent far more hours on Override than Nova and Classic combined.)

Also, a question for Guy (since he's here anyway) does the above weapon even exist in the ported version? I've looked for it, but never seemed to find it.

Hehe, and for the record, I always thought Zachit was pronounced with a silent ch, But I'm glad i know how to spell it now!

@daowei, on Jan 24 2007, 05:18 PM, said in EVO Questions:

I do have one, rather tedious question to ask... was the "experimental" secondary weapon used against the Azdgari ever meant to turn any tides?

I would guess you mean the 'Plasma Siphon'? As I remember, the Igadzra just decide to file it away against future contingencies rather than do anything so obvious as 'use' it. 🙂

Also, a question for Guy (since he's here anyway) does the above weapon even exist in the ported version? I've looked for it, but never seemed to find it.

If it's the Plasma Siphon, yes, it's in Guy's port (and also the 'official' port, afaik).

@pac, on Jan 25 2007, 01:29 AM, said in EVO Questions:

I would guess you mean the 'Plasma Siphon'? As I remember, the Igadzra just decide to file it away against future contingencies rather than do anything so obvious as 'use' it. 🙂
If it's the Plasma Siphon, yes, it's in Guy's port (and also the 'official' port, afaik).

AHHH yes, that's the one! Plasma Siphon, I had forgotten what it was called.
This thread has prompted me to return to the Override universe... see you all in a few years!

@daowei, on Jan 24 2007, 06:05 PM, said in EVO Questions:

AHHH yes, that's the one! Plasma Siphon, I had forgotten what it was called.
This thread has prompted me to return to the Override universe... see you all in a few years!

Heh good on you. Yeah the plasma siphon rocks. Due to not needing ammo, and the handy fuel scoop capability of it, it was really the only secondary weapon I ever bothered with. I had great fun eliminating turncoats and the like using nothing other than the siphon - the graphic was also kind of amusing :).

@martinz, on Jan 19 2007, 12:05 PM, said in EVO Questions:

But I still find issue with the basic delivery missions. The original EVC and EVO ones were for between 10 and 19 tons inclusive, but it seems now they go as low as 5 - it just makes it not quite right in my eyes 🙂 but I remember mentioning it before and finding out that the implementation was not as straightforward as I assumed. I haven't looked into the passenger missions much but in EVO they took either 2 or 3 tons, sometimes seemingly dependent on destination, but often seemingly randomly.

Ah yes, you did indeed mention it before and it turned out that the EVO engine doesn't handle it how it is supposed to: they're supposed to be between 5 and 15 but EVO makes them between 10 and 20. I offered to make a slight adjustment (8-23) but you said "Best to leave it as it is" ;). Or I could do 7-20?

@pac, on Jan 25 2007, 06:29 AM, said in EVO Questions:

(and also the 'official' port, afaik).

Heh, sort of. You get given it but it's immediately taken away again.

This post has been edited by Guy : 31 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

@guy, on Jan 25 2007, 02:23 AM, said in EVO Questions:

Ah yes, you did indeed mention it before and it turned out that the EVO engine doesn't handle it how it is supposed to: they're supposed to be between 5 and 15 but EVO makes them between 10 and 20. I offered to make a slight adjustment (8-23) but you said "Best to leave it as it is" ;). Or I could do 7-20?

I'd been wondering about this since I noticed the change. (BTW, it was always the case since original EV that negative mission cargo meant 'this value + 0-100% again'. The bible might well have said differently (I don't remember), but that was always how it worked in practice.) The approach I'll take in future is to go for 10-30, since the important figure for me is the minimum cargo space needed to carry out a given random mission.

This post has been edited by pac : 24 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

I found my old account here! 😄

(Member no 303 looks much more respectable. ;))

This post has been edited by Peter Cartwright : 27 January 2007 - 07:43 AM

Wowww.....

I have an account dating from 01, but I can't get back the password...it's still in the database, taunting me...:D

This post has been edited by UE_Research & Development: 27 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

What's the quote in your old account mean when translated, Cartwright? Is it German?

Hey, just realised what U.E. Admiral might have been thinking of as pac's pers. I say might because it is not an Arada and does not have the comm quote '42' (which belongs to the shuttle S.S. Consonant). But anyway, it is the Disco Bison whose comm quote reads:

"Never mind your fingers - I've got blisters on my brain!

With apologies to the Wrekked Train, et al. - PAC"

Although the 'al. - PAC' bit isn't actually visible at all in-game because the text area isn't big enough.

Also, someone mentioned earlier a Renegade Arada armed with a Phased Beam Turret - this pers goes by the name of Furious 'n' Fiery.

This post has been edited by Guy : 30 January 2007 - 06:09 AM

@warlord-mike, on Jan 27 2007, 12:53 PM, said in EVO Questions:

What's the quote in your old account mean when translated, Cartwright? Is it German?

It's something like "I am here but only for beer" in Serbian.

@martinz, on Jan 19 2007, 12:05 PM, said in EVO Questions:

But I still find issue with the basic delivery missions. The original EVC and EVO ones were for between 10 and 19 tons inclusive, but it seems now they go as low as 5 - it just makes it not quite right in my eyes 🙂 but I remember mentioning it before and finding out that the implementation was not as straightforward as I assumed. I haven't looked into the passenger missions much but in EVO they took either 2 or 3 tons, sometimes seemingly dependent on destination, but often seemingly randomly.

Hey, just investigated this further and found the ranges for random quantities between engines are actually as follows:
EV/O: x to 2x-1
EVN: 0.5x to 1.5x-1 (rounded down)
Both bibles state the range as being 0.5x to 1.5x.

Now I can convert the old values without going above a max of 2x by multiplying by one and a third and rounding up. This will give the following results for various values found in Override (the first number is the value in the data files and the numbers in brackets are the range given by the value):
2(2-3) -> 3(1-3)
5(5-9) -> 7(3-9)
10(10-19) -> 14(7-20)
15(15-29) -> 20(10-29)
20(20-39) -> 27(13-39)
30(30-59) -> 40(20-59)
35(35-69) -> 47(23-69)
40(40-79) -> 54(27-80)
60(60-119) -> 80(40-119)

How does that sound? 🙂

This post has been edited by Guy : 30 January 2007 - 09:32 PM

It sounds ... kind of bizarre with regards to reality and the bible, but for practical purposes, it sounds pretty good!

@pac, on Jan 19 2007, 08:10 PM, said in EVO Questions:

Well this is highly confidential But I can exclusively reveal that they use 'fuel'. 🙂

The Emalgha actually use a very difficult to synthesize combination of materials none of which occur naturally on their home world. After extensive nuclear fusion to create the proper chemicals, a lengthy process is employed to churn out a lumpy sludge-textured material indistinguishable from Campbell's brand chunky New England style clam chowder. It's a feat of entrepreneurship that this can power a spaceship through the stars.

Very cool topic. I unsurprisingly have a few questions and comments 🙂

1. You mentioned that the Voinians destroyed some Human colonies before the battle of Sol. How much farther west did Human space extend before contact with the Voinians?

2. There is no faster than light communication in Override right? I vaguely remember that being mentioned somewhere before.

3. Did you ever come up with stuff like how long the various races live and stuff like that?

4. The stuff about the Council's plans and future actions was very cool. Were there ever any specific characters or actions in Override that show the Council stepping in to maintain the balance?

5. Why did the Igadzra attack the Miranu research planet near the southern nebula during the Nebula penetration missions? They are hesitant to investigate strange objects one or two jumps away from their homeworld, but they sent a warship way down into renegade space to pick on a Miranu research post? Just seemed a bit odd.

6. I've always loved the balance of the Override universe. One of the things I think you did really well was increase the apparent technology of the races in the Crescent without making it glaringly obvious or unfair. It is neat how going with one race's best ships and weapons could be overcome by mixing and matching technologies from the entire galaxy.

7. I love EVO's way of dealing with secondary weapons. They were powerful enough that the player would want to buy them, but at the same time the limited ammo and cost made sure you couldn't just sit back and kill everyone by flinging long range missiles at them. You normally had to balance your long range weapons with up the right kind and number of primary weapons. If you went all primary weapons warships would out last you and kill you, if you went all secondary then fighters would swarm you.

8. EVO's fighters were also very well done. I loved how EVO's fighters worked well when you launched them at enemies, but if you really wanted to you could fly them yourself and actually do a lot of damage.