EV Override for Nova 1.1

Same specs as before, and everything works well so far as I can tell.

Oh, and the Facelift is just amazing!

I fooled around a while with the 'out of the box' version, started to remember why I wasn't crazy about EVO in grade-school*, set-up the Facelift, and when I loaded the pilot for a second time I was absolutely dumbstruck. Seriously, great job! 😄

*No offense.

Actually the work is not mine, I've just been maintaining it (the original author never submitted it to the addons).

This post has been edited by Guy : 04 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

@jacabyte, on Feb 3 2009, 04:03 PM, said in EV Override for Nova 1.1:

I noticed that Applescript doesn't parse the "Æ’" character correctly when transferring it to the command line. (I think... I remember having trouble with this.) Perhaps that's what was going on here?

yeah that was my problem , but changing the "Æ’" to "folder" fixed it

@guy, on Feb 3 2009, 06:51 PM, said in EV Override for Nova 1.1:

Seeing as it's working for him now I would say no. As long as the string properly escaped or quoted there shouldn't be a problem.

sorry , but the "ƒ" symbol is what was causing all the trouble 😞 , when i re downloaded EVO for Nova i put it on my desktop so it worked fine(thats when i entered my last post) , but later that day i moved it to my Nova folder , and the EVO app started loading up normal Nova , so i moved the hole thing back to my desktop , made a new folder on the desktop , and left the folder unnamed , then i put EVO in the new folder and it worked fine , so i added the "ƒ" symbol that i love so much and started the app again , and what do you know it started up normal Nova. So i simply renamed all my folders that had an "ƒ" on the end to "folder" and it all works fine now 😄 .

My apologies for being so wordy 😊

Perhaps I'm not as poor with AppleScript as you thought I was, Guy. 😉

Ah, sorry I had assumed you just replaced only the app with a fresh copy of it and left everything else the same. So JacaByte is right (my apologies), funny characters do cause problems. However this is not an AppleScript problem as the env does get set correctly - I can only assume Nova itself is having a problem reading it. In any case, I don't think there's anything that can be done about it. You're going to have to live without any special characters 😞

This post has been edited by Guy : 11 February 2009 - 04:02 AM

Anyone still playing this game? Just downloaded and installed all this along with the Facelift and I'm still getting EV Nova sounds instead of EVO. This was the same thing that happened originally years ago.

When I install Facelift I get no such issue. How exactly did you install EVO for EVN and Facelift? Also, are you on a Mac or Windows machine?

Haven't played in a while but think of it all the time :). Just this morning discovered that Elite: Dangerous is coming to consoles later in the year, and that piqued my interest yet again. Definitely time to install and play through again. I'll be doing it on Windows and trying the facelift, so I'll see how -I- get on.

Okay well I've just got it all installed on Windows, fwiw. Didn't install the Sounds Galore component, and the sounds are still all EVO, as I like 'em :).

Thinking I might have to write up some gameplay; have been doing that for Marathon games for a couple of years, and feeling inspired ... wonder if we could drum up some life around here!

DO IT! 😄

I am trying to join the Igazdra but I can't seem to complete the first contact mission where you have to run the confidential files to their home planet. I can't seem to get there in less than 14 turns and so I fail the mission every time. Anyone know how to complete it?

You probably need a lighter ship, as in a ship that has less mass. You can find the mass of a ship in the shipyard when you get info on it. A ship weighing anywhere from 0-99 tons will take one day to jump. A ship weighing 100-199 tons takes two days. Anything weighing 200 tons or more takes three days to jump. My guess is your current ship weighs over 200 tons, thus your inability to meet the deadline requirement.

Also, welcome to the boards, chr936!

You can also abort the mission and try to get it again at a planet closer to Igadzra

@geek, on 07 April 2015 - 02:40 PM, said in EV Override for Nova 1.1:

You can also abort the mission and try to get it again at a planet closer to Igadzra

I don't remember that being an option in the original game. Is that a recent / Nova addition?