EV Override on xkcd

So, the popular comic "xkcd" posted a strip about digging through the old files on one's hard drive, and among the midis and Kazaa files is one "EV Override". It warmed my heart to see a similar soul who still holds a place in their heart for that game.

http://xkcd.com/1360/

As for me, I always take pains to ensure my abandoned half-finished plugins survive every hard drive move. Though I'm curious how EVO is in his "My Documents" folder. 😉

Ha! Wow. And here I thought no one outside the Ambrosia community had heard of EV. No one I know in person has, at any rate. I wonder if the author is still a member here, or ever was...

@darthkev, on 26 April 2014 - 08:11 AM, said in EV Override on xkcd:

Ha! Wow. And here I thought no one outside the Ambrosia community had heard of EV. No one I know in person has, at any rate. I wonder if the author is still a member here, or ever was...

I knew lots of people when I was in school - people who'd never heard of the Ambrosia community - who were EV fans. Even now when someone tells me they grew up using Macs I always ask if they ever played it, and often the answer is "yeah...that game ruled!"

This remains one of the best games around as far as I'm concerned. I've been playing Space Pirates versus Zombies in the hopes of scratching that kind of space exploration itch, but it doesn't quite get there. I think the quality of the handmade universe in EVO is what really makes it special. A lot of games now are using procedural generation to try to achieve infinite exploration and gameplay, but I think they're missing the point. Exploring is only fun when what you're finding is interesting and well thought out, and it seems like it's more difficult to ensure that when you're randomly generating your world.

You're right! I too have been playing SPAZ, and while it's definitely been fun, it's nowhere near EVO. I never realized it, but you're right that the new trend towards randomly generated universes might not be so hot. The quirky races and the well-built universe is a major draw to EVO, and one of the main reasons it is closer to my heart than Nova, despite the fact that Nova is more "fleshed out".

This post has been edited by n64mon : 08 June 2014 - 08:30 PM