Ferazel review at MacAddict.com

Check it out...
(url="http://"http://www.macaddict.com/news/reviews/ferazel.shtml")http://www.macaddict...s/ferazel.shtml(/url)

-Ben

------------------
Ben Spees / Coding Boffin / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Hi, Ben! I knew your game would get great reviews from the moment I downloaded the demo. I feel exactly the same as MacAddict about your game, and the only thing I didn't like was the fact that there are items that you read about in the manual, like a mist potion, that don't show up in the game. Don't abandon Ferazel's Wand! We all love it, and you'd break our hearts if you did. 😉 Thanks for making such a great game.

-Cal

------------------
Calvin Crane
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong!"

Congratulations...it's a great review. And it's good to see that Ferazel is still getting press. This is truly one of the best games I've ever played and I predict it will be a steady seller for Ambrosia for some time to come. I've yet to see a bad review or even a hint of one for Ferazel. It would be silly of anyone to write off Ferazel at this point.

I have a question though, the reviewer stated that the game has to be played with the CD installed...I don't have to do that, does anyone else? It asked me to put the CD in the first time I played, then never asked again. Since the reviewer spends quite a bit of time talking about what a pain this is for powerbook users, he may need to be corrected on it.

---Zelda

------------------
The difference between men and women is simple: men are insane and women are idiots.

I don't have to use the CD either.
(I don't have that much gaming experience to compare it too, but I've wasted more evenings trying to jump over, around, blast through or figure out that it must be a great game. I've recommended it to others, and my 10 year old enjoys it too. Keep up the good work & congrats on the good review)

------------------

(This message has been edited by MonsterLady (edited 05-30-2000).)

My guess is that the reviewer just installed the game and ran it once for the review (thus, seeing the CD notice). For a game like Ferazel, you don't really have to play a bit, write about it, then come back and play some more. It's the type of game that just enthralls you, and I think that may have been what the reviewer did.

Anyhoo, off to read the review 🙂

------------------
-- Jeff

Well, Ben...seems like all of us here on the board were right...Ferazel's the greatest. I certainly hope that you don't abandon it. I have put more hours into this game...then I ever did MYST...and i put some good hours in there. This game not only challenges the player, but rewards all of the hard work put into it.

Take a well deserved bow!

------------------

(/B)(/QUOTE)
Not much else to add here except that I agree with everyone before me and to say CONGRATULATIONS! Great, great game and I can't wait for Ferazel 2...

------------------

Originally posted by Zelda:
I have a question though, the reviewer stated that the game has to be played with the CD installed...I don't have to do that, does anyone else? It asked me to put the CD in the first time I played, then never asked again. Since the reviewer spends quite a bit of time talking about what a pain this is for powerbook users, he may need to be corrected on it.

---Zelda

First of all I have to congratulate Ben and the entire Ambrosia team for this review and for putting out such an excellent game. When I told my husband about the review, he said "Well, you wouldn't expect anything less from Ambrosia . . . they've never put out a bad game." (We are both huge Ambrosia fans!) Keep up the great work you guys! 😄

As for the CD thing . . . I just always played the game with the CD in. Then I didn't realize that my husband had taken the CD out but I started to get the "sprite not loaded" errors. So, it seems to me that maybe we are supposed to play with the CD, but we don't always do it. :rolleyes:

Nif 🆒

------------------

Originally posted by Zelda:
**Congratulations...it's a great review. And it's good to see that Ferazel is still getting press. This is truly one of the best games I've ever played and I predict it will be a steady seller for Ambrosia for some time to come. I've yet to see a bad review or even a hint of one for Ferazel. It would be silly of anyone to write off Ferazel at this point.

---Zelda

All too often it does ask for the CD before it will run. I never did find out what causes it. Annoying!

Grandalf

------------------

Congratulations Ben! I hope more players will find the game now that that review has been published.

The reviewer favors the faster CPUs for better game play. I found just the opposite for some levels. The fire levels (and so far any level requiring use of the tree trunk spell) are unplayable on my 300 MHz G3 powered 7500 because of timing issues. Flames get Ferazel before he has time to move. Tree trunks have disappeared at the lower level by the time Ferazel tries to jump.
Not so with a 100 MHz 603 powered 6300. Ferazel moves more slowly, true, but at least he has time to stay ahead of the flames and make use of tree trunks before they disappear. I don't know if there is a solution. Curiously, folks playing with an iMac may not be experiencing the phenomenon.

Grandalf

------------------

I am running Ferazel on a 350 megahertz iMac, and it runs perfectly...

-Cal

------------------
Calvin Crane
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong!"

Odd... I'm playing on a G4, and the only timing issue I have is that it's impossible to get to the ring right after the second passage in If You Can't Take The Heat. I've never had any trouble with the tree trunk spell, at least in terms of speed. (What's up with the multicrystal tree trunks?! 🙂 )

So Mr. Spees, how long 'til Harry 1.0.2? 😉

------------------
“If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?” - T.H. Huxley

I, too, am playing on a G4 and have never had any timing issues or problems with the tree trunks disappearing too fast. Hmm . . . :rolleyes:

Nif

------------------

I have the solution, thanks to Nif! 🙂 I'll save up for a G4!

Grandalf

------------------

Just for a kick I tried it out on my old desktop 6500/250 instead of my usual PB 400 MHz. Ferazel moves slooooowly across the screen, but man am I good!

------------------

So apparently instead of saving up for a G4...we should all be hitting garage sales looking for a 6500? 🙂

---Zelda

------------------
The difference between men and women is simple: men are insane and women are idiots.

Originally posted by MonsterLady:
**Just for a kick I tried it out on my old desktop 6500/250 instead of my usual PB 400 MHz. Ferazel moves slooooowly across the screen, but man am I good!

But have you tried making through Parched Earth in under 5 minutes going that slow? 😉

Nif

------------------

Originally posted by MonsterLady:
**Just for a kick I tried it out on my old desktop 6500/250 instead of my usual PB 400 MHz. Ferazel moves slooooowly across the screen, but man am I good!

Quick question: is there something wrong with your computer? 🙂 Because I run Ferazel on my 6500/225 and it's prefectly smooth (with Enhanced graphics, and Normal effects...although it's still very nice with Enhanced effects)

------------------
-- Jeff

Originally posted by MissNif:
**But have you tried making through Parched Earth in under 5 minutes going that slow?;)

Nif

Slow? That's fast compared with the 6300/100 I used to get through PE! I made it with 1 minute 20 seconds to spare. (Only took 300+ practice runs to do it, finally.)

Grandalf

------------------

I don't think there's anything wrong with my 6500. I think it is just slow compared to the G3 processor in my PB. I'll probably turn of the enhanced graphics when I get to Parched Earth. But having fun anyway (and isn't that the point? 😉 )

------------------