Addons

You pick my next one

I'm almost finished playing Realm of Prey. Got any recommendations for which plugin I should play next? Which ones should I avoid?

I have played:
Empire
Dark Horizons
Endgame
EoC
Heart of Darkness
BotK
RoP
Mugabi & Destiny

My favorite is Clavius and Beyond. It's a great plug. I'm currently replaying it through Basilisk II.

EV Game Expander
Final Battle
Pale

Just throwing out some of the true classics.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate both of your suggestions.

Are these TC's or expansions? Sometimes the description on the Addons page doesn't say.

In my opinion, the two best plugins that anyone released for EV was Escape Velocity Game Expander (EVGE) and Galactic Scourge (GS). Both are not TCs in the strict sense of the word, instead they massively expand the original EV's universe with new missions, governments, systems and ships. And I'm really talking massively - GS expands it by at least four times, and EVGE is probably more like a factor of six. Both have an immense array of varied missions that are generally very well written.

Firebird's other two suggestions are also both good choices. Both are again substantial expansions of the original EV scenario, though not quite as immense as the two mentioned above. Pale I played and loved, although it's been a very long time since I touched it and I don't recall it particularly well. I played Final Battle a long time ago and remember it being absurdly buggy, to the point of being near-unplayable. However, i recall someone published a comprehensive update to it in the meantime, although I've never played this fixed version.

Mazca, on Mar 13 2006, 02:45 AM, said:

In my opinion, the two best plugins that anyone released for EV was Escape Velocity Game Expander (EVGE) and Galactic Scourge (GS). Both are not TCs in the strict sense of the word, instead they massively expand the original EV's universe with new missions, governments, systems and ships. And I'm really talking massively - GS expands it by at least four times, and EVGE is probably more like a factor of six. Both have an immense array of varied missions that are generally very well written.View Post

Thanks. I've heard of GS, but not EVGE. I'll check it out. Right now it looks like I'll probably DL Galactic Scourge and play that next.

Firebird, on Mar 13 2006, 02:58 AM, said:

EV Game Expander
Final Battle
Pale

Just throwing out some of the true classics.
View Post

Speaking of Final Battle... did anyone ever get around to fixing the glaring bugs it had? I vaguely remember old discussing threads describing how to work around them on your own with resedit.

And back on topic:

Pale is my favorite EV plugin of all time. Never has anyone taken so much time to balance, debug, and polish a plugin. The graphics are top notch (as far as EV goes) and the storyline is long, engaging, and challenging.

EVGE wins in the fun-factor catergory as well as in the huge-ass-ships catergory. Firing a turret volley from a fully armed orion galaxy destroyer feels like firing the flack screen on the Galactica: Nothing can get through (Or that's how it's supposed to work anyways.) In addition, the galaxy is nothing short of huge in EVGE, and yet it's still navigatable. Hope you have something heavy to set down on your jump key... you're going to need it.

James Fond gets the funny prize. Title should say enough about it.

And on a side note... New Republic will be pretty darn cool as soon as Kevin and I find the time to finish it. We've had some discussions about it recently and I've begun to sketch a bit in an effort to revamp some of the sub-par graphics that we want to take care of. That's rigth. It's NOT dead! It's just been trapped in limbo for a few years. Our motto: A Decade of development means it MUST be good!

-AJ

Edit: Got the wrong quote =P

This post has been edited by AJ : 14 March 2006 - 03:08 AM

EVGE was good.

I don't see The Frozen Heart on your list, which concerns me deeply (play it).

Thanks for more good ideas, AJ. can't wait for New Republic. 😄

mrxak, I played the EVO version of The Frozen Heart. Was it originally created for EV?

Callide, on Mar 16 2006, 04:44 AM, said:

Can't wait for New Republic. 😄
View Post

You're going to have to. God himself doesn't know when it'll be done.

-AJ

Callide, on Mar 16 2006, 12:44 AM, said:

mrxak, I played the EVO version of The Frozen Heart. Was it originally created for EV?
View Post

Ah good. Carry on then.

I'm not exactly sure what the history was. The EVO version does take advantage of a few extra features, but whether it was first or EV version was first, I don't know.

The Frozen Heart was, I believe, created for EVO. However, as the engines are so similar it was also released for EV, though missing some minor features.

Wow, I think it's been a long time since people've talked about these. It seems like we've already had another generation of EV players who haven't played these. I have to admit I haven't played some of the more recent plug-ins though (most notably the Empire series) so I can't say much about them.

Anyway, to get on answering questions, if I remember correctly, I held off on playing Final Battle until the bugs were fixed; my experience was a rather positive one -- it seemed to go more or less smoothly.

As for the Frozen Heart, it definitely was made for EVO first. I don't think there's any difference aside from the QuickTime movies (and maybe the difference in damage formulas and AI), but I don't think I've ever heard from anyone playing the EV version.

Man, now that I'm hearing NR is still alive, I feel like I should be releasing my EVGE for EVO... maybe a beta version for you guys to test. Gotta get my academics under control first though...

@firebird, on Mar 20 2006, 03:34 PM, said in Addons:

Wow, I think it's been a long time since people've talked about these. It seems like we've already had another generation of EV players who haven't played these.

I only found EV about five years ago, and joined the boards three years ago. I played both sides pf EV through, then played EVO, then Nova, then went back and played most of the game expanders for EVO, so now I am trying to play through the TC/expansions for EV.

As for the Frozen Heart, it definitely was made for EVO first. I don't think there's any difference aside from the QuickTime movies (and maybe the difference in damage formulas and AI), but I don't think I've ever heard from anyone playing the EV version.

I probably won't pay it. I played the EVO version on my G4, and to play the EV version I would have to play it on my 7600. Wouldn't be the same...

Man, now that I'm hearing NR is still alive, I feel like I should be releasing my EVGE for EVO... maybe a beta version for you guys to test. Gotta get my academics under control first though...

I'd beta test it for you. Though, I still have to test another game that I haven't even started yet. Time is something I don't have enough of lately.