Why Are You Still Here?

Surely you've heard of the Better Business Bureau...

But if you get somebody on ebay with feedback scores in the thousands, and don't buy something listed "as-is", you are probably not going to have problems. If you're really paranoid, see if you can pay half in advance, half on delivery.

The Apple Cřre, on Oct 31 2005, 11:29 PM, said:

But if you get somebody on ebay with feedback scores in the thousands, and don't buy something listed "as-is", you are probably not going to have problems. If you're really paranoid, see if you can pay half in advance, half on delivery.
View Post

Actually, if I buy anything listed as "as-is" I know enough to be aware that I might be getting a lemon. I think that the appropriate term is "caveat emptor", although in the case of eBay, it's "caveat lector." To be quite frank (and earnest), I've never seen anything on eBay that I'd want to buy. <shrug> And 10 points to anyone who can identify the reference... ;-{)>

Since we're totally OT now, let's change the subject... I've been getting unhappy with my current ISP and and am thinking of switching over to mac.com (aka .Mac). My ex likes them and it would be nice to have an ISP that doesn't think of Macs as being a off-shoot of Windoz machines and can understand our problems without having to resort to the one person who works there who has a little bit of experience with troubleshooting Mac conectivity problems.

Comments? Suggestions? AOL is a no-no for me - I was one of the early members of AOL back when it was a Mac only ISP and dropped them when they outsourced their tech support to Bangaladesh a couple of years ago.

Coyote
jimkirk2@chilitech.com

Gib mir Schokolade und niemand wird verletzt sein!

View Post

Actually, if I buy anything listed as "as-is" I know enough to be aware that I might be getting a lemon. I think that the appropriate term is "caveat emptor", although in the case of eBay, it's "caveat lector." To be quite frank (and earnest), I've never seen anything on eBay that I'd want to buy. <shrug> And 10 points to anyone who can identify the reference... ;-{)>

Since we're totally OT now, let's change the subject... I've been getting unhappy with my current ISP and and am thinking of switching over to mac.com (aka .Mac). My ex likes them and it would be nice to have an ISP that doesn't think of Macs as being a off-shoot of Windoz machines and can understand our problems without having to resort to the one person who works there who has a little bit of experience with troubleshooting Mac conectivity problems.

Comments? Suggestions? AOL is a no-no for me - I was one of the early members of AOL back when it was a Mac only ISP and dropped them when they outsourced their tech support to Bangaladesh a couple of years ago.

Coyote
jimkirk2@chilitech.com

View Post

Coyote
jimkirk2@chilitech.com

I know enough to know that people have been known to sell "as-is" stuff that is known to be dead.

Actually, sans working Mac software, SBC Yahoo DSL is decent enough with Mac support. However, they are not decent enough in their tech support, unless you know to call when it's midnight in India. If you don't call at midnight, you will get some overconfident newb that runs you through configuration ten times before admitting that you had it right in the first place and transferring you to somebody that knew something.