Why Are You Still Here?

Me too.

I want lock nine topics in the space of a minute. Wait. Wrong mod.

Hamster, on Oct 10 2005, 06:37 AM, said:

Aww. 🙂

But then you wouldn't be the quaint little village community that we all love you for! 😉
View Post

The propoganda is working, they don't see it coming...oh, wrong board... I was talking about just chat. Really. 😉

This post has been edited by Swithich : 10 October 2005 - 10:00 PM

You are not supposed to speak of our evil plan outside of #att.

The Apple Cřre, on Oct 10 2005, 10:06 PM, said:

Me too.

I want lock nine topics in the space of a minute. Wait. Wrong mod.
View Post

I'm that mod!!!

And it was on the Uplink forum, not here. And it'll never happen again because we get less than 9 new topics a year now.

mrxak, on Oct 11 2005, 10:53 PM, said:

I'm that mod!!!

And it was on the Uplink forum, not here. And it'll never happen again because we get less than 9 new topics a year now.
View Post

Happy 8000th post, you lazy mod, you.

The Apple Cřre, on Oct 11 2005, 06:55 PM, said:

View Post

What plan? 😛

mrxak: have you looked at the EV/O chronicles recently?

Uhm... Erm... I'm here because... Well... Alright! I'm here because I don't have a life outside this tiny little, although brilliant and wonderful, game. What can I say? I tend to stick to life-changing games such as EV/O, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Civilization II, and there's alot of others too.

That, and what Captain Bob said earlier:
This is not the Nova Board. This is not a board dedicated to babying newbies that can't figure anything out for themselves. This is a board dedicated to the legendary figure that unknowingly guides all of our lives. All hail his Burchness! May he live beyond this mortal realm!

The Apple Cřre, on Oct 12 2005, 02:55 AM, said:

View Post

Hmm... This makes me seriously rethink where my loyalties should lie in the coming batt-erm, poll.

/me is not of the A-Team and will likely not be a major part of the upcoming battle.

Destroyer E, on Oct 12 2005, 12:30 PM, said:

Happy 8000th post, you lazy mod, you.
View Post

Heh. didn't notice. I must be getting pretty close to the big 10000 now, if the IPB switch hadn't miscounted everything (I'm fairly sure I lost around 2000 posts).

The Apple Cřre, on Oct 12 2005, 05:02 PM, said:

mrxak: have you looked at the EV/O chronicles recently?
View Post

Nope, not my job. Why'd you ask?

The Apple Cřre, on Oct 13 2005, 03:09 AM, said:

/me is not of the A-Team and will likely not be a major part of the upcoming battle.
View Post

You aren't, and Steelix is? Something's amiss in ATT...

The would be the definition of ATT: something amiss...all the time.

Oh... he made the A-Team.

Well, looks like there's no threat after all! 🙂

BnB Color Coded Alert System reduced to Mauve-Puce.

This ain't the BnB, Hamster. On EV forum, the color is plain old puce.

Ratchet up your alert. Just because I'm not in the A-Team doesn't mean I don't have my fair share of kick. Then there's ankhwatcher, gravedigger of the five-year-idle topic.

EV was first made many years ago, especially in internet-time. I don't own any more computers that can actually run it (my last OS 9 bootable Mac died this summer, and I don't use Classic anymore), and I would imagine the same is true for at least some of you. While EVO and EVN probably have something to do with keeping this particular community alive, I find it fascinating that so many of you continue to post on this forum after the game is essentially history. Certainly if EVO and EVN are keeping EV-ness alive (heck, even EV B&🆒, then those particular forums would migrated-to.
I know why I'm here, it's my duty to moderate this forum, and it gives me a little bit of nostalgia to think about EV when I come here. But what's your excuse?

Why? Quite simple, my dear moderator... I started playing back with EV 1.0.1 back when Matt Burch swore that he'd never do a PC game (remember those days?). Upgraded to 1.0.4. Purchased EVO when it came out, but there were/are too many different factions and too many testosterone-driven youngsters to get any decent advice as to which faction I should join. Gladly purchased Nova when it first came out, but say hey... Contrary to what Ambrosia claimed, it didn't run on my Macintosh! True, I'm an out of work disabled vet and all I can afford is an antique 7500/100. But the advertising claims said that EVN would work on any Macintosh... NOVA? Yeah, on my Mac, it was indeed a case of "No Va!" (bastard tex-mex for "it does not run!)

So I stick with what I know will run - a classical game with a bunch of good, time tested plugs (I personally like the "SW:ANA" Star Wars plug-ins). Will I ever buy anything from Ambrosia again? Perhaps... about the time that they stop whoring for the Windoz crew and get back to the basics and make games that will run on any Mac (running OS 9 or better). Am I holding my breath? ROTFLMAO! You must be kidding me! Did I complain at the time? Yep. Did I get an answer? Yep - they told me that it would run on my machine, but I needed a large screen monitor... Am I bitter? You betchum, Red Rider! What ever happened to "truth in advertising..."? Never mind answering that.

Ah, where is Cajun Dave now that we need him? And, to be honest, when he bailed out, that should have been a warning to me... For that matter, where is Cap'n Hector these days?

Coyote Jack

Some say that cats are sneaky, devious and cruel. True, and they have other fine qualities as well.

Nova requires (bare minimum) a Power Mac, 800x600 resolution (and 8-bit graphics if you so desire), 64M RAM with virtual memory on, and 200 megs of drive space. As for actually running it on that hardware, that's another matter entirely. I ran it on a 6500 (granted, 1024x768 with every effect enabled), and it worked fine (unless you don't like 15 fps) until I fired my CPLs. Then the framerate dropped to about .1.

The Apple Cřre, on Oct 14 2005, 12:08 PM, said:

Nova requires (bare minimum) a Power Mac, 800x600 resolution (and 8-bit graphics if you so desire), 64M RAM with virtual memory on, and 200 megs of drive space. As for actually running it on that hardware, that's another matter entirely. I ran it on a 6500 (granted, 1024x768 with every effect enabled), and it worked fine (unless you don't like 15 fps) until I fired my CPLs. Then the framerate dropped to about .1.
View Post

I stand by my earlier post - Ambrosia advertised Nova as able to run on any Mac. Now it has been serveral years, but I don't seem to recall that they required a certain resolution (mine is 640x480). To me, that's like buying a car from a used car dealer and then finding out that the supplied tools wouldn't remove the wheel cover if you had a flat... And that actually happened to me. Now I'll agree that I shouldn't have trusted a used car dealer (even if he worked for a major automotive dealership), but I wouldn't have thought it of Ambrosia! But I know better now... And I'll never trust them again. Well, let me amend that: I'll trust Ambrosia to go after the Windoz market, and I'll trust Ambrosia to focus on the people who have the money to run the biggest and bestest machines, and I'll trust Ambrosia to forget about the little people who supported them (and paid for the software!) back when they were a struggling company with only a handful of games. <shrug> What can I say? Andrew and Matt are obviously going for the bucks. And, to quote from a poem by e.e. cummings, "there is some s### I will not eat". If I have to get a Windoz machine (or a big G-4/G-5 Mac with a big monitor) in order to run the latest and greatest from Ambrosia, fergettaboutit! I'll stick with the older programs!

Coyote Jack
------------------------------
The prayers of most religions generally praise and thank the gods involved, either out of general piety or in the hope that he or she will take the hint and start acting responsibly.
---Terry Pratchett, "Eric"

Ebay my friend. Actually, I've been working on snipping some old macs from my old high school. The admin told me I got first dibs (he's a windows guy) so sweet. Anyway, I think we got the original EV to run our LC II, once...it crashed oh well. EV and EVO ran fine on the IMAC 333 before we were forced to make the switch to windows. Drat...the school beat us again... oh well I've learned a thing or two and found a middle road... linux here I come!

This post has been edited by Swithich : 17 October 2005 - 05:15 AM