Why Are You Still Here?

Linux? You will probably want to talk to somebody that knows something about it.

I already have. And I've used some a linux program before. Trust me I'm just not walking into this blind.

Coyote Jack, on Oct 14 2005, 02:16 AM, said:

Why? Quite simple, my dear moderator... I started playing back with EV 1.0.1 back when Matt Burch swore that he'd never do a PC game (remember those days?). Upgraded to 1.0.4. Purchased EVO when it came out, but there were/are too many different factions and too many testosterone-driven youngsters to get any decent advice as to which faction I should join. Gladly purchased Nova when it first came out, but say hey... Contrary to what Ambrosia claimed, it didn't run on my Macintosh! True, I'm an out of work disabled vet and all I can afford is an antique 7500/100. But the advertising claims said that EVN would work on any Macintosh... NOVA? Yeah, on my Mac, it was indeed a case of "No Va!" (bastard tex-mex for "it does not run!)

So I stick with what I know will run - a classical game with a bunch of good, time tested plugs (I personally like the "SW:ANA" Star Wars plug-ins). Will I ever buy anything from Ambrosia again? Perhaps... about the time that they stop whoring for the Windoz crew and get back to the basics and make games that will run on any Mac (running OS 9 or better). Am I holding my breath? ROTFLMAO! You must be kidding me! Did I complain at the time? Yep. Did I get an answer? Yep - they told me that it would run on my machine, but I needed a large screen monitor... Am I bitter? You betchum, Red Rider! What ever happened to "truth in advertising..."? Never mind answering that.

Ah, where is Cajun Dave now that we need him? And, to be honest, when he bailed out, that should have been a warning to me... For that matter, where is Cap'n Hector these days?
View Post

Ya know... the whole deal with shareware is that you get to try before you buy. If you didn't try it out on your computer before you purchased it, it really is your own fault. And uh... the requirements are listed pretty clearly: "128mb RAM, PPC, Mac OS 8.1 or later (Mac OS X native!)".

mrxak, on Oct 18 2005, 03:25 PM, said:

Coyote Jack, on Oct 14 2005, 02:16 AM, said:

<snip>
I started playing back with EV 1.0.1 back when Matt Burch swore that he'd never do a PC game (remember those days?). Upgraded to 1.0.4. Purchased EVO when it came out
<snip>
Gladly purchased Nova when it first came out, but say hey... Contrary to what Ambrosia claimed, it didn't run on my Macintosh! True, I'm an out of work disabled vet and all I can afford is an antique 7500/100. But the advertising claims said that EVN would work on any Macintosh... NOVA? Yeah, on my Mac, it was indeed a case of "No Va!" (bastard tex-mex for "it does not run!)
So I stick with what I know will run - a classical game with a bunch of good, time tested plugs (I personally like the "SW:ANA" Star Wars plug-ins).
<snip>

Ya know... the whole deal with shareware is that you get to try before you buy. If you didn't try it out on your computer before you purchased it, it really is your own fault. And uh... the requirements are listed pretty clearly: "128mb RAM, PPC, Mac OS 8.1 or later (Mac OS X native!)".
View Post

Yes, you're quite right - I should have tried it out first, but after EV and EVO - not to mention all of the anticipation and discussion here on the boards - I figured that EVN sounded like a pretty good game and I lusted after it! After all, the requirements were "128mb RAM, PPC, Mac OS 8.1 or later (Mac OS X native!)" and I had 144mb of RAM, a PPC 7500/100 and OS 9.1. Please note, however, that those requirements do not address monitor size or resolution... Perhaps once I save up enough for a iBook, I'll try to find my Ambrosia CD, make sure my license code is still valid, and try it again. But this time, I'll contact Customer Support first to make sure that it will indeed run on my machine with my monitor and resolution.

Jack

Gib mir Schokolade und niemand wird verletzt sein!

I'm here because ev brings back all those memories of me creating sprites in ClarisWorks with resedit. LOL

I don't post here at all, I'm just dropping by. 🙂

Coyote Jack, on Oct 18 2005, 07:42 PM, said:

Perhaps once I save up enough for a iBook...View Post

Well, if you're buying new there shouldn't be any question of the game running fine, to the best of my knowledge.

Anything they called an iBook can run Nova at a decent speed, unless you're anemic on the RAM.

I'm still here because I like to talk with other people who play Ambrosia games and to get good advice for the games I play.

I love...phone.

I love...lamp.

I love lamp!

In other words, I love EV, and I love the crazy wild diverse community it created (the Escape Velocity Webboard members).

It's just so...crazy.

The Apple Cřre, on Oct 23 2005, 06:33 PM, said:

Anything they called an iBook can run Nova at a decent speed, unless you're anemic on the RAM.
View Post

Well, we discussed this issue a couple of posts back and came to the agreement that the posted requirements to run Nova were "128mb RAM, PPC, Mac OS 8.1 or later (Mac OS X native!)" and I replied that I had "144mb of RAM, a PPC 7500/100 and OS 9.1." Please note (as I said before) that those requirements do not address monitor size or resolution...

Which is why I am going to get specs from Apple before I purchase anything and then I'm gonna ask Ambrosia Tech Support if Nova will run on the particular machine that I'm thinking about buying.

We former GIs have an expression called "BOHICA" (Bend over, here it comes again!). At which point we either break out the cosmoline or vasoline. Or to paraphrase something from Mark Twain, once a cat walks across a hot stove, you'll never get that cat to get close to the stove again!

Coyote Jack

Some say that cats are sneaky, devious and cruel. True, and they have other fine qualities as well.

That just put an unpleasant image in my mind. All I have to say is ebay... for all your needs.

Stats. Sorry about the ads.

I bookmarked that it is a useful reference.

Swithich, on Oct 24 2005, 03:30 PM, said:

That just put an unpleasant image in my mind. All I have to say is ebay... for all your needs.
View Post

Quite so. And here's another unpleasant image for you - I do not do business with anyone that I can't run through the Better Business Bureau (BBB). And I get quite paranoid when someone tries to tell me that I should! Hello mods? Is it legit to post ads for goods and services here? Particularly about a company (ebay) that has a very low level of credibility?

Calm down.

Ebay has its own reliability system. And don't knock it until you try it.

Hmmm...okay just saying. Your choice.

I still come here because EV Nova is quite possibly one of the dumbest games ever made in today's time, and that's among many, many very stupid games. EV Classic had an amazing job done for it, and EV Nova took reasonability and threw it out the window.

The Apple Cřre, on Oct 26 2005, 01:41 PM, said:

Calm down.

Ebay has its own reliability system. And don't knock it until you try it.
View Post

Maybe so. Maybe no... It seems to me that eBay has had its share of problem in the last year or so with people selling stolen goods, people saying that they had items to sell and then taking the money and running, &c. But - as a pretty good former Intel Analyst - I'll let that slide for now, as I'm too busy/tired to try to do a major google for examples.

Bottom line, however, is that I will not do business with strangers unless they have been vouched for by trusted friends and/or the Better Business Bureau. Two personal examples: I am a member of an Airborne Ranger list and an EOD list on Yahoo. One of my Ranger buds is a commercial real estate salesman in Florida who always has properties for sale. Another Ranger bud sells body and vehicle armor and wants me to help sell them to the Bomb Disposal community. Never met either of these guys in person, but they are fellow Rangers and have helped me out when I needed it. I'd trust them with my life, my wife, and so on. But would I recommend them or their products to others? Negatory on the real estate! The body/vehicle armor? Well, that guy told me that he'll send me a CD with the data I need to make a decision as if it was my life in danger. Haven't gotten it yet, but I'm sure that I will.

But buying something from a "friendly stranger" on eBay? Well, all I have to say is that I've been told that I've won a megamillion dollar prize in an internet lottery. For the sum of $5,000 US (certified check or bank money order only), I'll be quite happy to get a lawyer to transfer my rights to you. This must be true - the email didn't come from Nigeria...

Coyote Jack
--------------------------
"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
CATS, he said eventually, CATS ARE NICE.
-- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Coyote Jack, on Oct 26 2005, 11:37 AM, said:

Quite so. And here's another unpleasant image for you - I do not do business with anyone that I can't run through the Better Business Bureau (BBB). And I get quite paranoid when someone tries to tell me that I should! Hello mods? Is it legit to post ads for goods and services here? Particularly about a company (ebay) that has a very low level of credibility?
View Post

I'm not a mod, but no advertising. And calm down.