Why Are You Still Here?

A Survey

EV was first made many years ago, especially in internet-time. I don't own any more computers that can actually run it (my last OS 9 bootable Mac died this summer, and I don't use Classic anymore), and I would imagine the same is true for at least some of you. While EVO and EVN probably have something to do with keeping this particular community alive, I find it fascinating that so many of you continue to post on this forum after the game is essentially history. Certainly if EVO and EVN are keeping EV-ness alive (heck, even EV B&πŸ†’, then those particular forums would migrated-to.

I know why I'm here, it's my duty to moderate this forum, and it gives me a little bit of nostalgia to think about EV when I come here. But what's your excuse?

First off, as you've put it countless times, "this is not the Nova board"-Escape Velocity extends beyond its engine; the galaxy is still quite alive and well. As for the engine itself, the original Escape Velocity-and Override, to an extent-have ease of use and simplicity on their side, while Nova is a tangled mass of new and old features, some of which don't quite work as they're supposed to-or at all.

Besides, since this isn't Nova, we don't get truckloads of spammers here asking, "how do you fire secondary weapons" or "where can I get a cheat plugin".

It works out well for everyone involved, overall. And I still load up the original EV-too much of a pain to trade files when I can just start up in 9 and play it straight from there, with all the grand old plugins.

-Bob

I have unfinished business that I feel needs to be completed before I can leave it alone for good. Stupid plug-in........ why does it still want to be finished after all of these years?

I no longer actually PLAY EV, but I come to the forums for the bars and the Webstorys (that are not very complicated compared to the EVN ones).

I'm in a webstory (somebody needs to start talking to me about merc pay).
That, and there's something about the simplicity of EVC.
mrxak: you did get the ROM from one of your quadras, right?
/me points to Basilisk. Compile, add a ROM, and run. While we're at it, I'm running Linux, for which there is no version of Nova.

My Power Mac 7600 (OS 😎 is now used for two things only: networking my old scanner to my G4, and playing EVC. I guess there really are only two reasons I'm here:

1. I like to hang around this board to answer the rare question from new members.
2. There are quite a few plugs I haven't played yet. Right now I'm in the middle of BOTK.

Webstories and the bars are fun to read, but my time is limited...

1. Webstory
2. I do play occationally
3. I still play the EVN port which is virtually the same

Simply enough, it's because I love EV. The Boozy Bar is a lot of fun too.

As soon as a I get Basilisk II working on my laptop, I'm gonna play it all the time.

And if you must know, I do have an alterer motive. I eventually want to usurp your moderation position of this board. πŸ˜›

General ASW addict and EV slave. This one kicked the Space Opera Trilogy off, after all.

Destroyer E, on Oct 9 2005, 05:33 PM, said:

And if you must know, I do have an alterer motive. I eventually want to usurp your moderation position of this board. πŸ˜›
View Post

Certainly there are other moderators of this forum which would be easier to usurp, but good luck to you anyway.

mrxak, on Oct 9 2005, 08:35 PM, said:

Certainly there are other moderators of this forum which would be easier to usurp, but good luck to you anyway.
View Post

EVula is out of the question and Mazca is the cool Brit (not to mention, he's not affiliated with you). Chamrin, watch your back. πŸ˜‰

I have no excuse. I live on the peanut crumbs from Boozy.

DE, mrxak: that's also why we are ATTers, and why we keep #att scraping along.

We hope to eventually challenge the superiority of BnB/#ev3.

This post has been edited by The Apple CΕ™re : 10 October 2005 - 12:49 AM

The Apple CΕ™re, on Oct 10 2005, 05:46 AM, said:

We hope to eventually challenge the superiority of BnB/#ev3.
View Post

Aww. πŸ™‚

But then you wouldn't be the quaint little village community that we all love you for! πŸ˜‰

(sarcasm)I hang around because to see this board die would break my heart.(/sarcasm)

No, really.

I have no idea. Sure, the story it still interesting (it's not a complex galaxy like O or N). That, and it's a quiet out of the way place too.

For some reason, I appear to moderate this board so I don't have much of a choice about still being here. πŸ˜‰

i'm stalking you.

Technically this post dosen't apply to me because I am new here, but I'm posting here anyway because I'm planning on staying for three reasons: 1. Some of the posts can be entertaining to read. 2. Maximus Insurrectum looks interesting. 3. I liked the game.

This post has been edited by Ace Rimmer : 10 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

Mazca, on Oct 10 2005, 05:38 PM, said:

For some reason, I appear to moderate this board so I don't have much of a choice about still being here. πŸ˜‰
View Post

I could fill your position. πŸ˜›