Having trouble putting ev on pc

And all, the emulator is technically illegal unless you use your own ROM files. Sorry to be a stickler, just FYI. Remember, we're on a legitimate business' webboards.

Actually, I think this ROM is legal. If theunderdogs has it, considering that they're a VERY big website and such an infraction would be noticed and investigated, I think it's legal. They don't even make, or support the Quadra 700 anymore, and to top that off, OS 7.5.5 is now Open Source. Therefore, it's free, and should technically be legal.

Here, zampy:
http://atphome.cjb.net
click on the CLICK HERE FOR BASILISK II link, and good luck.

And yes, get more RAM, dammit. You'll have to go through my page 2 of instructions to configure Basilisk for your smaller amount of RAM (I have 256MB, and so I gave mine 200MB to play with, just for safety. You might want to lower that value for yours, or else it might have problems...just for safety...lol)

Oh, and it's not that slow. Everyone lies. It's faster than a REAL Quadra would EVER be. And EV runs on it just fine...no problems yet with me.

Have fun, and as I said before, any questions, please direct to dash.merc@gmail.com.

This post has been edited by Dash_Merc : 24 July 2008 - 03:04 PM

Dash_Merc, on Apr 25 2005, 01:58 PM, said:

Actually, I think this ROM is legal. If theunderdogs has it, considering that they're a VERY big website and such an infraction would be noticed and investigated, I think it's legal.
View Post

link

CNN.com, on May 5 2000, said:

The main problem is Mac ROM -- every Macintosh includes a ROM memory chip that contains code that is integral to the Mac OS. It's illegal to decompile, copy, sell, or exchange this software because it's copyrighted and Apple is very sensitive about its code.

Again, sorry to be a stickler - and I'm not gonna stop you, but just FYI. The underdogs is based overseas; US businesses do not have the same legal rights. OS 7.5.5 may be open source, but the Quadra ROM is definitely not.

Dash_Merc, on Apr 25 2005, 01:58 PM, said:

Oh, and it's not that slow. Everyone lies. It's faster than a REAL Quadra would EVER be. And EV runs on it just fine...no problems yet with me.
View Post

That would depend on your system specs. My machine isn't even as beefy as Zampy's (though I do have more RAM) and he may fare better, but his processor is only twice as fast. Ares at twice the speed I was playing it at would still be incredibly frustraring. Our 275 mhz powermac 6500 could only run the game at about 18-19 FPS when other ships were onscreen. We're talking hardware that is designed to run the game.

His results may vary, but he should experiment with the demos (if he can actually manage to set up basilisk) before paying for any of the games. I still think downloading the plugins (which are native to the EV:N engine and therefore will perform unquestionably better) is the best idea. Plus it's FREE. This is NOT FREE.

This post has been edited by Shrout1 : 26 April 2005 - 08:04 AM

Option 1: Emulation:
Illegal
Slower
More Costly (registration of the 2 older titles)

Option 2: Plug ins
Legal
Faster
Free (with registration of Nova)

Ok, is there ANY argument here?

Shrout1, on Apr 25 2005, 01:47 PM, said:

And all, the emulator is technically illegal unless you use your own ROM files. Sorry to be a stickler, just FYI. Remember, we're on a legitimate business' webboards.
View Post

i have an old mac if you can tell me how to get my rom out of it.

Shrout1, on Apr 26 2005, 08:06 AM, said:

Option 1: Emulation:
Illegal
Slower
More Costly (registration of the 2 older titles)

Option 2: Plug ins
Legal
Faster
Free (with registration of Nova)
Ok, is there ANY argument here?
View Post

if i have my own mac and a downloaded emulator, is it legal?

(i don't use the plugs because i need it to use old mac files too with the emulator)

Zampy.909, on Apr 26 2005, 08:41 AM, said:

i have an old mac if you can tell me how to get my rom out of it.
View Post

Is it a quadra?

you still haven't told me weather or not it's legal

where would i find out if it is a quadra?

Look on the front of the case. It will say one of these:

Quadra
Centris
LC
Performa

and then the model number. Specs are here for just about every Mac ever made, plus a few NeXT boxes and the Lisa.

If you get a ROM capture utility and grab a ROM from that old mac, then emulation is not illegal. I'd still suggest getting my Basilisk package, though. I put in some usually necessary utilities, plus I installed EV on it to boot.

System 7.5.5 is included, as it's now a free operating system. It's happy.

This post has been edited by Dash_Merc : 26 April 2005 - 01:47 PM

Dash_Merc, on Apr 26 2005, 01:40 PM, said:

If you get a ROM capture utility and grab a ROM from that old mac, then emulation is not illegal. I'd still suggest getting my Basilisk package, though. I put in some usually necessary utilities, plus I installed EV on it to boot.

System 7.5.5 is included, as it's now a free operating system. It's happy.
View Post

Where do i get it?

EVC for nova is nice, but some of us got EVC not just for evc but for New Horizons, The Frozen Heart, Pale, etc.

Satori I can answer that since I'm the one that told Dash where to get it... try here for MAC emulation:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/nonpc.php

Have fun...

Prof. ADN

If you have trouble setting it up, I put up a tutorial HERE. Good luck, and have fun!

Oh, and ADN: they all do have a good point. Is the ROM provided by the underdogs illegal? In that case, I'm using an illegal Quadra700 ROM file. Teehee. Not only that, but the Basilisk II setup I put up on my site to parallel the tutorial I made is illegal, too (same ROM).

This post has been edited by Dash_Merc : 26 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

Yes. Basilisk II with a downloaded ROM is illegal. God help us all if the feds find this string... Anyway...

<Shrout1 brushes string under rug>

So, for all intensive purposes, Zampy, you are most definitely going to procure the ROM from your old machine because someone explained it to you in an e-mail correspondance elsewhere than this board. Then you are going to come back and say,

"Hey, I got my ROM file and now I need to know what to do."

Voila.

'dja get that ol' RAM image, yet?

How's the whole emulator thing going?

i got the files, and am now running the emulator

problem is, it won't read any game files

when i try to open ev i get the error message

**The document "escape_velocity.bin" could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found

could not find a translation extention with approprate translators.**

what do i need to fix it 😞 😞 😞 😞 <_< 😞 😞

Ever used a Mac?

A.bin file is akin to a .zip file. It's a kind of package that holds some special contents (in this case: EV).

Did you read my tutorial?

(If you downoaded my files from my tutorial, and just used your ROM instead of mine, EV is already up and running on the disk that comes with that...)

If you go into the BasiliskIIGUI thingy (the little gray computer icon in the :Basilisk II\Setup folder) and look near the top of the resulting window, there should be a tab entitled "Disk."

There should also be a button entitled "Create..." on the right side of the little window.

Click on it, type in a decent size in MB in the little box at the bottom of the new window, and then give it a name and save it.

Once that is accomplished, you should see the disk you just created in the large list box on the right of the window. Select it, then click the little button called "<<." This will install the disk.

Next, click on the "My Computer" tab at the top, and make sure the box named "Enable external file system" is checked, and that any and all of your computer's drives are checked below that. You can also just click the "All" button.

With that completed, place the EscapeVelocity.bin file somewhere easy to find on your (real) hard drive, and run Basilisk II.

Once your (emulated) Mac is up, you will have to initialise the new hard drive. Do so.

Double-click on the "My Computer" icon that shows up on the desktop. Once in there, find where you put EscapeVelocity.bin, and copy-and-paste (or drag-and-drop) it onto your Mac's desktop, or if you wish, you can drop it into the newly created hard drive I just had you make.

Then, simply double-click on EscapeVelocity.bin, annd it should come up in StuffIt Expander. Then, it will unpack, and then you can install EV.

Good luck.

Let me know if something doesn't work.

(By the way, did you get your Mac files from theunderdogs, or from my site, or where? I suggest getting either my, or theunderdogs' files, because either comes with StuffIt Expander preinstalled. Mine comes with StuffIt Expander, DropStuff (a repackaging utility, basically the inverse of StuffIt Expander), ResEdit, and Escape Velocity preinstalled.)

i've already done all of that except for initialising the hard drive. it said that it would have to delete all files before it could initalize. what is it going to delete. is it going to wipe my hard drive?

when i try to stuffit ev i get the error first that the disk is write protected but that is probably because that test was on a school computer, so i gave it a different directory and i got the error

sorry but a disk related error (-32) has prevented this opperation from concluding.

what is the error and how do i fix it?

sorry, the disk error was (-34)

my mistake

This post has been edited by Zampy.909 : 03 May 2005 - 08:46 AM