Why can't I unstuff.....

First it was the downloading... Had to try for 2 days to get the stupid thing. Now I have finally downloaded the full version of PoG, and alas, I can't unstuff it. The download was completed perfectly and I'm using Stuffit Expander 6.0.1 When I select the file and press extract it just does nothing.

1. What's wrong?
2. How can I fix it?
3. Why do you guys have such a hard time getting your products out?

------------------
Life is a wast of time. Time is a waste of life. So stay wasted all the time, and have the time of your life!

I haven't heard of this one yet. Try dragging the icon ONTO stuffit expander, or trying a different version of Stuffit. If that doesn't work, try buying the CD for $5 US, and don't worry about it.

1. The reason everything is slow is because so many people are downloading huge files. Soon, however, the systems will be less lagged from so many people downloading, and things will improve.

- Anatole

------------------
There will come a time, when the/curse of the One above/will not be tolerated further/when the Lineage of Caine will be weak/and there will be no Embracing for/these Childer/for their blood will run like water/and the potence in it will wither/Then, you know in this time that/Gehenna will soon be upon you.
- The Book Of Nod

Originally posted by NeoSeifer:
**First it was the downloading... Had to try for 2 days to get the stupid thing. Now I have finally downloaded the full version of PoG, and alas, I can't unstuff it. The download was completed perfectly and I'm using Stuffit Expander 6.0.1 When I select the file and press extract it just does nothing.

1. What's wrong?
2. How can I fix it?
3. Why do you guys have such a hard time getting your products out?

Hmmm. Where exactly did you download it from? All of the mirrors that I am aware of merely host the game and the demo as disk images (.img) files. If this is the case, you may want to try to use disk copy to mount the image.

However, if it is encoded (.bin) you will need Stuffit Expander. I have a copy of 6.0.1 and of 5.5. I tend to use 5.5 for game downloads and 6.0.1 for all other stuff because 6 has stuffed up several large game downloads I have performed before. Apparently, from what i read on the MacGamer.com forums, other people have had this problem.

If it is definitely a MacBinary or a Binhex file and Stuffit Expander cannot open it, it could also be a preferences error. Open the prefs from the file menu, and select "Expanding" from the left hand menu. Make sure the checkbox that says "Expand Encoded Files" is checked. Try to unstuff it again. If nothing still happens, it may be worth your while to drop by Aladdin Systems and get an older copy of Stuffit Expander.

That more or less answers 1 and 2 to the best of my ability (without more knowledge of your system, anyway :)) 3 has already been answered by Anatole.

Hope that helped!

-Andiyar

(Edited for spelling errors)
------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

(This message has been edited by Tarnฤ‡lion Andiyarus (edited 08-31-2001).)

Also, (and I know no one wants this) it could be that your downloaded file got currupted during the download. Although, we're all hoping that's not the case. ๐Ÿ™‚

I downloaded the file from this mirror I think. (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/ambrosia/mac_pog_full.img.bin")http://homepage.mac....og_full.img.bin(/url)
I know it's a disk image but it was encoded in MacBinary (.bin) first. Rest assured I've tried all of the different ways of unstuffing it such as selecting it from the program and just drag and dropping. Although I doubt it would ever matter anyway... I've checked my preferences and I know they're all set right, besides I've never had a lot of problems decoding MacBinary files before. I find it hard to believe that an earlier version of Stuffit might work better, but right now I'm pretty much open to suggestions... Well off to find 5.5 sigh ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
Life is a wast of time. Time is a waste of life. So stay wasted all the time, and have the time of your life!

(This message has been edited by NeoSeifer (edited 09-01-2001).)

(quote)Originally posted by NeoSeifer:
**I downloaded the file from this mirror I think.http://homepage.mac....og_full.img.bin
I know it's a disk image but it was encoded in MacBinary (.bin) first. Rest assured I've tried all of the different ways of unstuffing it such as selecting it from the program and just drag and dropping. Although I doubt it would ever matter anyway... I've checked my preferences and I know they're all set right, besides I've never had a lot of problems decoding MacBinary files before. I find it hard to believe that an earlier version of Stuffit might work better, but right now I'm pretty much open to suggestions... Well off to find 5.5 sigh ๐Ÿ™‚

-Andiyar

------------------

I have my IE set to automatically decompress with Stuffit. It just did the same thing it does when I try it manually, nothing... All of the mirrors are stuffed just like the main download and as far as I know it's the same file, so it doesn't really matter where I get it from... As for Stuffit it's pretty much impossible to find an older version after they've updated it. There's no reson for them to distribute an outdated pice of software. Besides would they really release an update that caused problems instead of fixing them? Where they just bought by Microsoft or something? ๐Ÿ™‚ But like I said I am pretty much open too suggestions. Do you know where I can find version 5.5?

------------------

(quote)Originally posted by NeoSeifer:
**I have my IE set to automatically decompress with Stuffit. It just did the same thing it does when I try it manually, nothing... All of the mirrors are stuffed just like the main download and as far as I know it's the same file, so it doesn't really matter where I get it from... As for Stuffit it's pretty much impossible to find an older version after they've updated it. There's no reson for them to distribute an outdated pice of software. Besides would they really release an update that caused problems instead of fixing them? Where they just bought by Microsoft or something?:)

-Andiyar

------------------