"When I first played EV I..."

Okay, here's another thread to admit all the dumb stuff you used to do when you first got EV.
As usual, I'll start.

The first time I saw Escape Velocity was when I got my new computer..

<flashback>

It was a Mac Performa, and compared to my old 256 color mac, it was da bomb. It came with a CD called 300 Great Games for Mac, and included Maelstrom, Apeiron, and Escape Velocity. After exploring some of the many other games, I double-clicked on EV. I pressed Enter Ship, skipping the documentation, and found a big blue dot, some asteriods, and a little white box. I flew around a little, and got bored, and quit.
Some time later, I followed the instuctions to land, and found some stuff. In the spaceport bar, I gambled away all my money, thinking it was my only source of income. Months later, I discovered the Mission Computer. I had accessed the map before, but never did anything with it. The Mission Computer opened my eyes to what this game was all about. Money! "Wow! 10,000 dollars for a single mission?!" I clicked on a mission to Earth, and left Levo. Opun looking at the map, a saw a dot and a little red arrow. I jumped around systems heading toward it and I made it! I got $10,000!!!! It was like I won the lottery or something.
Of course, the game wasn't copied onto my hard drive. So, everytime I played, I had to start over. I considered myself to be the best player ever every time I scraped together enough money to buy a courier. My dream was to fly an Argosy.
One day, my friend was over, and I showed him EV. He wanted me to bloww some thing up, so I bought a missile launcher and 10 missiles. We found a shuttlecraft to destroy, not noticing the Confed Cruiser right next to it. Swish! Boom! The other shuttle took a hit. My friend laughs out loud, while the torpedoes and proton bolts blow up my ship to smithereens. My friends laughs harder. "You idiot! I had 63,000 credits!" Why did you attack a Confed shuttle with a Cruiser right next to it?!!" Frankly, I was pissed.
Only this last January, after I got a G4, did I realize the magic of copying applications. "Oh my God!!!" I was ecstatic. And the rest is history. No, wait, that was history.

Okay, now that I shared my beginnig experience, I expect all of you to, too.

------------------
I, the reader, by reading this hereby acknowledge that Rawzer, the writer, is cool.
Signed,
X______________

(This message has been edited by Rawzer (edited 09-02-2001).)

I copied EV from a game disc and everything was priced at five credits, availible everywhere, and my ship had infinite space. I thought the game sucked and was boring. Finally, I stumbled upon the "Plug-In" folder, and deleted all of the cheaters...

------------------
Prepare to succumb to superior intelligence
MOSS of the Crimson Guard, a (url="http://"http://www.planetarion.com")Planetarion(/url) alliance.
Winning isn't everything thing, it's the only thing.
Go have a good laugh with (url="http://"http://www.toostupidtobepresident.com")Bushisms(/url).

Hrmm... I believe (not sure, its was like 5-6 years ago, probably more) that I got mine off of a macaddict CD. My dad would read the articles, and I would play the games. Of course now I read the articles too, but the games on "The Disc" are great.

Anyways, I think this is where I got it. Downloaded it to my hard drive, and opened up the game. I don't remember my first experiences playing it. But I was addicted immediatly.

I needed help so I went to yahoo (or something) and searched for Escape Velocity. I found ev.com and joined the forum there. It was also when I really began to realize that I could use the net to talk to people about stuff like EV and games and other stuff I cared about. EV opened up a whole new world to me. Sort of.

------------------
--ares
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you do criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes."

Uh, I meant the dumb stuff. I said it, too. I didn't humiliate myself for nothing!

------------------
May those who love us, love us. And those who dont love us, may God turn their hearts. And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so we'll know them by their limping.

oh, whoops. Heheh. I didn't read your message very well; just the <flashback> part caught my eye.

As for dumb stuff, I can help you there.

When I first got EV and beat it, I wanted to use some plugins. I didn't know anything about computers then, and I dropped the .sit version of the file into the plug-ins folder. Then I tried the folder of the plugin itself. I couldnt understand that I had to drop the plugin file inself into the folder. That ordeal caused me a lot of frusteration.

------------------
--ares
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you do criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes."

Well, for a while when I first got the game, I didn't really outfit the ships much, and was very reluctant to use any secondary weapons, but I didn't sell them. Finally it somehow connected that weapons are meant to be used, and credits are meant to buy more...

Also, first time I went against the Alien Cruiser, I did it in a Kestrel, and with a big load of Torpedoes, not primaries. This was also before I had discovered how cool the speed, turning, and acceleration upgrades were, I believe. Seeing each Torpedo only take 1% shields was a bit scary then. Almost needless to say, it took me a while to kill the thing, but this is when we were new, after all.

------------------
- Macavenger | e-mail: (url="http://"mailto:e-gamerguy1@home.com")mailto:e-gamerguy1@home.com(/url)e-gamerguy1@home.com

Hrrmmmm... I was hoping this would be as popular as that last newbie mistakes topic.

------------------
May those who love us, love us. And those who dont love us, may God turn their hearts. And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so we'll know them by their limping.

its not as popular because this thread has been done allready....

as for the newbie mistake:

I cant remember. I remembered it in a other thread like this but the memory isnt there anymore :frown:

------------------
play planetarion? I have a column not just about planetarion @ (url="http://"http://www.planet101.org")www.planet101.org(/url)

I remeber I got v 1.5 off of the Software of the Month club cd in May 1999. Yes, 1999. I went in the game, and started dodging the asteroids around Levo. It took me fifteen minutes to figure out I couldn't get killed by them. then I tried to land on Levo by flying really fast at it. I got bored and quit.

It wasn't until late last year that I found it again and said "oh cool!" then went to play it. Then I found out it was the really boring game and walked away.

Then finally a month ago I picked it up (again) and read the begining instructions! I landed on levo, did some missions, bought three lasers, and shot at a Confed Cruiser. I died. But I was hooked! I finally got to were I am today, an Honberable leader in a rebel cruiser. But Captain Hector never seems to die...

------------------
It's all fun and games until the cat knocks the Nitroglicerine over.

Originally posted by Jimbob:
But Captain Hector never seems to die...

He does if you register.

(edit) More specifically, he ceases to exist - you won't see him at all. (/edit)

------------------
- Macavenger | e-mail: (url="http://"mailto:e-gamerguy1@home.com")mailto:e-gamerguy1@home.com(/url)e-gamerguy1@home.com

It took me over a month to figure out how to jump and a few days on how to land.(I already replied to a few topics like this, so...)

------------------
I try to think but nothing happens!- Ultimate Rebel

Ahhh...I remember the first time I bought a weapon in EV. Back in the day...

<flashback>
After scraping enough credits together after running missions like "Ferry passengers to..." I finnaly bought a few laser cannons. I took off from Rigel (I think) and flew to Kathoon. I saw a Trader argosy (thinking Traitor I was like 9, okay) and fired off a few of those green colored lasers. After taking it's shields down to 84% a Rebel Cruiser jumped in and fired a few rounds of those blue protons. Now, when your in a scoutship and armed with two lasers (I sold everything else for money) you won't put up that great of a fight. Kaboom. HeHe. Stupid.

------------------
Hey! Jesus Loves You! 🙂

I did too many stupid things to count. I used to play a lot of shareware games, it was really easy. The author would request that you would pay him if you kept the game for 30 days. I was usually bored with it after a few days.

I got EV from a MacAddict CD and started playing it. The game reminded me of Wing Commander, only in some ways better. One day the game informed me that I had played if for 120 hours and that Cpt. Hector was after me.

I laughed as I realized that this was going to be the first shareware game I actually purchased. Today, EV still ranks as my favorite all time game