Questions that have plagued us

Originally posted by nighthawk:
i think b/c armor is in absolute damage tolerance, as opposed to damage tolerance per area or simply in armor thickness (if they both got 10mm of extra armor it'd weigh hundreds of times as much to armor the cruiser, but if they both get exactly enough armor to absorb 10 points of damage, they'll both also get exactly the same mass)

Well, all I can say is that for Nova, Matt Burch has modified the engine so that armour cost and mass can vary according to ship mass.

------------------
David Arthur
(url="http://"http://members.aol.com/darthur1/talon-ev/")Talon Plugin for the original Escape Velocity(/url)

it's had to strike a balance between tolerance per area and absolute tolerance, at least it's hard to do w/o tracking damage to specific areas. the problem is that 1mm of armor on a cruiser would have much more absolute tolerance than 10mm of armor on a defender, but you can almost kick your way through the 1mm armor. the reason why it shouldn't be tracked solely based on thickness, though, is that piercing the armor at one point on a cruiser (and therefore decompressing one or two compartments) wouldn't do nearly as much damage as piercing the armor at one point on a defender (and therefore decompressing the whole fighter). either way (per thickness or per absolute tolerance) has its merits, though, and it would take an ungodly amount of programming to track damage to each point on the armor w/o improving gameplay that much, so i don't really care which way it's done

------------------
if tin whistles are made of tin, what's a fog horn made of?

Originally posted by Slider:
**I'm not sure if this is the correct answer, you'll have to ask David Arthur, but if memory serves, Artemis was the Greek goddess of hunting and the moon, as well as archery , along with her brother(or something like that). I forget the name of her brother though...I hate memory lapses:frown:. Hope I have provided something that can be used as a handle for a machete in the forest we are currently wandering through (unfortunately, I believe that David Arthur has the equivalent of an ecologically sound flamethrower, however farfetched that may be 😉 ).

Apollo is the god of beauty, poetry, music, prophecy, and archery
Artemis is the goddess of the hunt, the moon and nature

------------------
well, with a little gas, some love, and a bottle of ketchup

How about this... In EVO, what does DSN stand for? And why did Matt Burch get rid of the actual news in that game?

------------------
You may know me from the EV boards. Then again, you may not.

(This message has been edited by Rawzer (edited 07-22-2001).)

DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line, I believe. 😛 Or did you perhaps mean the DSN tag on system numbers which replaces NGC from EV?

------------------
Almost doesn't count, but barely does.
"The problem with the designated driver program, it's not a desirable job. But if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Originally posted by Rawzer:
And why did Matt Burch get rid of the actual news in that game?

What do you mean by this?

------------------
David Arthur
(url="http://"http://members.aol.com/darthur1/talon-ev/")Talon Plugin for the original Escape Velocity(/url)

Macky (ha, ha!), yes, I did mean DSN, not DSL. I always mix that up.

David Arthur, I meant the holo-vid in the bar on a planet. In EV, it gave commodity news as well as jokes. But in EVO, it just gives jokes. What's the deal?

------------------
This is the end of my post.

Macky (ha, ha!), yes, I did mean DSN, not DSL. I always mix that up.

I've never seen any evidence that DSN stands for anything, although I've seen a few fairly convincing ones such as 'Designated System Number.' However, if you want to know the final truth about this, you'll have to find and ask Peter Cartwright.

David Arthur, I meant the holo-vid in the bar on a planet. In EV, it gave commodity news as well as jokes. But in EVO, it just gives jokes. What's the deal?

I've seen commodity news in the Override Holo-Vid. However it doesn't give news as often, because the engine only gives commodity news when there's a 'disaster.' EV and Override have about the same number of 'disasters,' and more of Override's require certain conditions before they can activate, so 'disasters' don't occur as commonly in the Override universe, and therefore the Holo-Vid doesn't report them as often.

------------------
David Arthur

(This message has been edited by David Arthur (edited 07-23-2001).)

1. Sirius Cybernetics, who are based off the Sirus Station, were a big thing in HHGG.
  2. Yes, Dune / Arrakis from the Dune series. The movies suck in comparison to the books.
  3. Hunter, in the Orion system. The constellation Orion is of a Hunter.
  4. This isn't really linked to much, but Polaris / Northstar is because Polaris is the 'North Star', if you are looking up from Earth.
  5. Endor, in the Osiris system. I dunno why it's Osiris, but Endor is in Return Of The Jedi.
  6. This is kinda obvious, but to us Americans, Liberty Station is in the NGC-1776 system. 1776 is the year of the Declaration of Independance.
  7. I'm not sure about the link here, but Tiber is the river that Rome was founded on. I'm not sure of what Oread is.
  8. Ditto with Scorpio. The constellation is a lobster, actually, but I guess crab is okay. We'll give them some creative liscense.
  9. It's spelled differently, but it's a common mistake. The independant world of Taaneb (usually written Deneb, a real star) is mentioned in Return Of The Jedi, during the breifing before the assault on Death Star #2
    That's all I can come up with, that hasn't been said already.

------------------
Whee!

1. The constellation is a scorpion, not a lobster.
  2. The Star Wars planet is Taanab. Major Wes Janson is from there. He's a Rogue Squadron pilot and friend of General Wedge Antillies. Or, I guess in the movies, Wedge is still a Commander and Janson is just a Leiutenant, sorry. I believe Janson was Wedge's rear gunner at the Battle of Hoth. Let this be a reminder never to get me started on Star Wars trivia by misquoting some. 😛

------------------
"The problem with the designated driver program, it's not a desirable job. But if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Macavenger, I just wanted to ask you, which do you like more? The rogue squadron from the movies, or the rogue squadron that Wedge was in command of. That's the one with Corran Horn and Gavin Darklighter. Here's another trivia question. In the book X-wing Wraith Squadron, what was the name of the stuffed ewok whose famous quote was, "Yub, yub, commander."?

Wes Janson. Actually, the stuffed toy was called Leiutenant Kettch, except when Wedge was getting his revenge on Janson and told him it was a real ewok(played at various times by Dia Passik(aka Diap'assik) and Squeaky the 3PO droid), Wedge reffered to him as Chulthu(not sure about spelling). That satisfy you? 😛

------------------
- Jeff Foxworthy

Ok, I've got one for you boys, since you think you are so good.:
Who is the sharpshooter who Han goes up againest when looking for a certain lost tomb rumored to be full of riches and precious gems?

I bet you don't know! Ha!

-Anatole
PS: Wes Janson was indeed Wedge's gunner. In the movies, however, he's called "Nice Shot" Janson. His first name was not included in the original script.

------------------
Whee!

Heh, Janson is indeed a great shot, with weapons of all sorts. Laser Cannon, blaseter, Turret, you name, he can shoot it, and well.

So what book do you get yours from? Is that something in the Han Solo trilogy? I only have about 25 Star Wars novels, and those don't happen to be included yet. :frown:

------------------
- Jeff Foxworthy

It's from the ORIGINAL Han Solo Trilogy, the very old one.
The name, BTW, is Gallandro.

-Anatole

------------------
Whee!