Questions that have plagued us

Originally posted by Rawzer:
**Pfft. I don't know what the hell you're talking about. You must be nuts.;) :rolleyes:

Well, yeah... but the HGTTG is a real book, with four real sequels. My insanity has nothing to do with it, though.

------------------
Write your complaints here: O
Please don't write out of the space.

Originally posted by Luke:
**Well, yeah... but the HGTTG is a real book, with four real sequels. My insanity has nothing to do with it, though.

I don't think Douglas Adams even thought of them as real books. The lines he drew between each version of H2G2 in each medium were so blurred. Depending on where you look there are at least four or five different versions of the story and they range from being slightly different to very different.

------------------
GIJew, the real American Hebrew - Aunt Bea's Marauders

How do you know? Well, it makes sense, I guess...

Matt Burch explained it once on the Nova board. (Actually, in those early days, it was called the EV3 board.)

... back me up here, someone...

Yes, that's about it. You'll find that section in the latter half of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. There's a whole section about the problems faced by structral linguists when dealing with such things as Jynnan Tonnyx, Chianto Mnigs, Djinn-Anthony-Ks, and Ousighian Zodahs.

By the way, it's (url="http://"http://www.douglasadams.com/")Douglas Adams(/url) that wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Scott Adams writes (url="http://"http://www.dilbert.com/")Dilbert(/url).

------------------
David Arthur
(url="http://"http://members.aol.com/darthur1/talon-ev/")Talon Plugin for Classic EV(/url)

(This message has been edited by David Arthur (edited 07-04-2001).)

Originally posted by David Arthur:

By the way, it's Douglas Adams that wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Scott Adams writes Dilbert.
(/B)

...a much inferior, but still amusing publication.

------------------
GIJew, the real American Hebrew - Aunt Bea's Marauders

I never read any of the HHGG books -- because I was so turned-off by the BBC show by the same name. (And I DO know film production rarely does justice to a book.) It's just that the TV show is so bad....

You people who know, did the BBC really mess it up, or was the BBC's rendition good?

- KK

------------------
Β“You will find that we will be either the most loyal and trustworthy of allies, or ... if you insist on trying to swallow us up -- the worst of enemies. The choice is yours. And should you choose to fight us ... donΒ’t bring a knife to a gunfight!!!Β”

Originally posted by Kaptain Karl:
I never read any of the HHGG books -- because I was so turned-off by the BBC show by the same name. (And I DO know film production rarely does justice to a book.) It's just that the TV show is so bad....

The TV version doesn't really work without having read the books. In the TV version, the cheesiness is part of the humour. This is not true of the books most of the time, and when it is, it is very well executed. (Personally, I enjoyed the TV version, but not nearly as much as the books.)

------------------
David Arthur
(url="http://"http://members.aol.com/darthur1/talon-ev/")Talon Plugin for Classic EV(/url)

Originally posted by Kaptain Karl:
**I never read any of the HHGG books -- because I was so turned-off by the BBC show by the same name. (And I DO know film production rarely does justice to a book.) It's just that the TV show is so bad....

You people who know, did the BBC really mess it up, or was the BBC's rendition good?

- KK

Actually, the original radio programme is perhaps my favourite incarnation of the show. It's available from BBC Worldwide in two sets of three CDs or a box set, catalog number ZBBC 1499 CD.

------------------
Captaintripps, proudly dispensing bad advice since before you were born.

this is way off the original topic!

------------------
Spam? "Good Lord no Mr. Dent. The mere thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind."-Mr. Prosser

I AM regestered I just am not using my own computer right now so it wont let me log in. Anyway

I dont know if this is true but I hear that there is a rather interesting easter egg in EV related to the Satellite of Love from MST3K. Is that correct? If So how do you access it? I was told to hold down the S, O, and L keys but nothing happened. Anybody want to help me with this?

Captain Napalm

I will only confirm that it's true, however the fun is in either figuring it out or finding out where there's information that will tell you how to do it. That information is on these boards. The whole fun of an easter egg is figuring it out!

------------------

Originally posted by Captaintripps:
**I will only confirm that it's true, however the fun is in either figuring it out or finding out where there's information that will tell you how to do it. That information is on these boards. The whole fun of an easter egg is figuring it out!

Thanks I think that really helped in a way I haven't figured out yet

Captain Napalm

**I ....

While we are somewhat off-topic, Captaintripps, is your nickname a referenence to Stephen King or Ken Kesey - or something else entirely?

For an on-topic question: Why does armor for a Defender have the same mass as armor for a Confederate Cruiser?

Why do disabled ships drift to a stop? (Anybody heard of Isaac Newton and the laws of motion?)

**THX-1138 is the name of Lucas' sound production company as well as his first student film which was actually quite horrible. It's about a society where everyone is named by numbers and the protagonist gets tortured by robots. Those numbers pop up in almost every Lucas film. It's Leia's cell number and the number of a room in Indiana Jones.

Not to mention the license number of Suzanne Sommers' T-Bird in "American Grafitti" πŸ™‚

**The author of HHGTTG (who was he, Scott Adams?) said that every culture on every planet

That's Douglas Adams. Scott Adams is the author of Dilbert.

------------------
Giule out.

The Artemis Group. Why the name Artemis?

ed. note> HHGG series also contains "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe" which sets up Mostly Harmless.

------------------
The greatest source of atheists in the world today are christians. Christians who acknowledge God with their lips and live their own lifestyle. - DC Talk

(This message has been edited by durax (edited 07-08-2001).)

Originally posted by David Arthur:
**... However, the stars Pollux and Castor are named after the sons of Zeus and Leda - who are part of Greek mythology - and are unconnected with beavers.

Poor guys. Maybe being gods aint so great after all. πŸ˜„

HHGTTG - the TV shows were based on the books, which were based on the radio series. And all are substantially different from each other. I've got the tapes and script of the radio series, and it got so weird and odd because Douglas was so bad at meeting deadlines. In quite a few cases the script was being written as other parts were recorded, to be broadcast in under half an hour... One time the show was on air, and Douglas was still writing the scripts. This accounts for the weirdness of some of it...

And those early pics of the intro screen.. ugh! And yes, that man is wearing a body stocking. A wee note: in the Clavius plug, as well as the blue woman, some of the instrument lights are blacked out to say something...

martin

------------------
Walk like a champ, you cheeky scamp.

Originally posted by Joseph Burnette:
**While we are somewhat off-topic, Captaintripps, is your nickname a referenence to Stephen King or Ken Kesey - or something else entirely?

Yes to both. Only the third person to get the first reference and the first to get the second. Well read man! πŸ˜‰

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/voxhumanasketch/VoxHumana.html")VoxHumana(/url) -- Comedy of the Future

Ok, time for a topic change. My friend is a PC 3d gamer. :mad: How do I convince him that it's good?! He took a 3 second glance at EV and immediately said it sucked. If he started to play the game, he would say it's stupid because you can't shoot anything right away. How do I convince him?

Originally posted by durax:
**The Artemis Group. Why the name Artemis?

ed. note> HHGG series also contains "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe" which sets up Mostly Harmless.

I'm not sure if this is the correct answer, you'll have to ask David Arthur, but if memory serves, Artemis was the Greek goddess of hunting and the moon, as well as archery , along with her brother(or something like that). I forget the name of her brother though...I hate memory lapses :frown:. Hope I have provided something that can be used as a handle for a machete in the forest we are currently wandering through (unfortunately, I believe that David Arthur has the equivalent of an ecologically sound flamethrower, however farfetched that may be πŸ˜‰ ).

------------------
Thank you for your time,
Slider
If a butterfly flaps its wings,
Leave Central America and South-East Asia immediately:

Originally posted by Joseph Burnette:
For an on-topic question: Why does armor for a Defender have the same mass as armor for a Confederate Cruiser?

i think b/c armor is in absolute damage tolerance, as opposed to damage tolerance per area or simply in armor thickness (if they both got 10mm of extra armor it'd weigh hundreds of times as much to armor the cruiser, but if they both get exactly enough armor to absorb 10 points of damage, they'll both also get exactly the same mass)

Why do disabled ships drift to a stop? (Anybody heard of Isaac Newton and the laws of motion?)

space isn't empty, everything will stop eventually. the only thing wrong with this is that the time scale is way off (i.e. 100k years vs. 1 second). but that's the same for acceleration, too. every ship in ev has an acceleration value greater than its speed value, which means every ship accelerates to max velocity in about 3.3 seconds or less. if you assume space fighters have greater top speeds than atmospheric fighters, (hey, even our clumsy and slow shuttle cruises at mach 26), then they're pulling more than 10 g's. accelerating to mach 26 in 3 seconds would actually be closer to 100 g's, which means anyone unlucky to be in the ship at that time would proceed to become a stain on the rear wall. of course, that's more along the lines of 30 real seconds per game second, unlike the stopping thing, but it's really just a question of gameplay vs. reality. it would be almost impossible to dock if disabled ships kept on their original course and maintained their last turning velocity while the player's ship took a full minute to reach its maximum speed (if you've ever read the honor harrington series, it's not far from right- combat in that kind of situation can take hours, it's not exactly the kind of thing which would get someone to buy a game)

------------------
if tin whistles are made of tin, what's a fog horn made of?