New Horizons questions

1. Has anybody managed to work for the Confeds? I tried blowing up Rebel ships, but still nothing despite an Ultimate rating, being a Good Egg etc.

2. Has anybody managed to join the Pirates or APOEA? Same as above - blew up neutrals, don't need to bribe to land anymore, but still nothing.

3. What other mission threads are there? There's the small one to get repeating Cygnus missions off the computer, the repeating black market smuggling, the repeating ore samples for Infin. Any more besides the major LOI/TRDF/Rebel string? What about Atinoda and Maskirovka? Siedon?

Thanks!

------------------

1. I'm working on it. I got the documents mission, but that's it so far.

2. I don't think it's possible in EV. Try EVO.

3. Diphidia, to name one. I never finished it, though.

Hope that helps! 🙂

------------------
Rawzer- the "swedish chef."

Originally posted by Rawzer:
**1) I'm working on it. I got the documents mission, but that's it so far.

1. I don't think it's possible in EV. Try EVO.

2. Diphidia, to name one. I never finished it, though.

Hope that helps! 🙂

Thanks. It's good to know there's still some more to explore in NH. Did you do anything special to get the docs mission?

For the pirates, GS and Pale allow you to join the pirates. The worlds still don't show what they think of you, but you get to buy the pirate ships.

Did you do anything for Diphidia, too? The only mission I ever seem to get is the U of Capella fellow who wants to go to Torgo Prime - and the mercenaries thread on Whynil that gives you the gravity shield (though I'm sure the mercenary thread is unrelated to the main story). I'm sure the U of Capella mission starts the LOI thread, but is that needed to start everything, with the branching coming later?

------------------

I think i'll try the LOI, haven't done those yet. Explain something about the reb string for me: does it start before the tdrf, cuz the only thing i've done in NH is the TDRF string that goes into short reb which gives you the ships, then an endless war with aliens. Is there anymore to the reb string? Thx. Can't tell ya anything about anyother strings, cuz i'm wondering the same thing!

------------------

Originally posted by Locke:
**I think i'll try the LOI, haven't done those yet. Explain something about the reb string for me: does it start before the tdrf, cuz the only thing i've done in NH is the TDRF string that goes into short reb which gives you the ships, then an endless war with aliens. Is there anymore to the reb string? Thx. Can't tell ya anything about anyother strings, cuz i'm wondering the same thing!

I played for an extended period with only one pilot - the other pilots I tried seemed to get the same missions. I did backup so that I could follow the obvious branches though. Anyway, this is the path my pilot (and his clones) took:

1. U of Capella fellow gets a ride to Torgo Prime. Several missions involving the virus follow, at the end of which the Confederation dislikes you, and the LOI loves you (and lets you buy the LOI cruiser = the Rebel Cruiser from EV).

2. Branch point: LOI asks if you want to talk to the Rebels and stall a big attack to let the local rebellions overthrow the Confeds. If you say yes, more missions follow, and eventually the Confeds fall after you fight at Sol, replaced by the CDCW who loves you. You can then buy Confed ships. Alien missions follow, at the end of which you make peace with the aliens and can buy alien ships. Seems like end of the game here since everyone is happy.

3. If you don't say yes immediately at #2, on other planets the TRDF will ask you to join them. If you join them, you turn around and beat up the LOI (who then hate you) and lead an attack on Sol. The Confeds fall, and you can buy TRDF ships. More missions follow, at the end of which the TRDF worlds get blown up, Infin gets blown up, the aliens appear, and you join the normal Rebels (and can buy their ships). Alien missions seem to deadend here - I get repeating "kill Alien ship in X" and nothing more.

Your sequence of events sounds like you never joined the LOI, but started with the TRDF immediately. That's new; I tried several pilots and always got the first LOI mission but never the TRDF one, even after reaching Ultimate, good egg etc. Has anyone tried reaching the NH people? Maybe they'd be kind enough to release a list of central objectives/main mission threads.

------------------

Actually, did do some LOI missions involving the virus, so i probably followed your string to the TDRF. Thanks for the clarification. I was also wondering why after doing the TDRF missions string i received a mission for LOI again regarding "new Earth." Trouble with that is, i didn't know how to complete the mission, as i couldn't find new earth, and never figured out where that led. Do you know anything about that mission?

------------------

Originally posted by Locke:
**Actually, did do some LOI missions involving the virus, so i probably followed your string to the TDRF. Thanks for the clarification. I was also wondering why after doing the TDRF missions string i received a mission for LOI again regarding "new Earth." Trouble with that is, i didn't know how to complete the mission, as i couldn't find new earth, and never figured out where that led. Do you know anything about that mission?

Not sure about this New Earth mission - LOI has recurring passenger and cargo missions. Not sure if there are special missions after you switch to the TRDF. New Earth is in the New Sol system in the southwest of the map. Look around. Anyway I got in touch with Aidan Hotan (one of the creators of NH) and got some answers to my questions:

----email transcript follows------

1. Are there any mission threads besides the
LOI/TRDF/Rebel one? Can you
join the Confeds/Pirates/APOEA?

Can't join the Confeds in any serious way, they get
wiped out no matter which plot path you take (we
didn't have time to write more missions). There is a
mission to find and destroy the APOEA flagship, I
can't remember where that one starts off the top of my
head.

2. Do the corporations play any real part? Cygnus
has one mission to get
the repeating missions, what about Infin (repeating
ore samples),
Atinoda (nothing), Siedon (nothing)?

There are one or two longer sequences involving the
corporations, if you hang around the HQ's long enough
and they like you you should get offered something.
Nothing very impressive compared with the main
sequence though.

3. Apart from the mercenaries' gravity shield and
mission computer
assignments are there more missions?

I think that's the only one.
--------end of email transcript-------

------------------

If memory serves, there is a really big alien mission set. I always hang around south space to get those. It's getting blurry besides that, is NH the one with the fast pirate ships carring mines, or was that another one?

------------------
macmaxbh
Live long and prosper!

Originally posted by macmaxbh:
**If memory serves, there is a really big alien mission set. I always hang around south space to get those. It's getting blurry besides that, is NH the one with the fast pirate ships carring mines, or was that another one?

You are thinking of Galactic Scourge (and the Sparrow pirate ships).

------------------

Thanks. I am playing NH again. Oh, so fun! There is a really big alien mission set. They are hidden in a nebula. There's the destroy confed set, the torgo set, and a TDRF/Rebel set (I haven't played it, although I think it's there).

P.S. (sorta related) Did you know Hector is a asteroid fragment in NH? 🙂

------------------
macmaxbh
Live long and prosper!

(This message has been edited by macmaxbh (edited 06-18-2001).)

Anyone know if there is a way to join the Rebellion directly, or can it only be done through the TRDF string?

------------------
So go on the internet game sites and bash all the PC users!