Uplink 1.6 update history

What exactly changed from version 1.3.4 to 1.6

I am thrilled to know what exactly changed (history)!
So MacUpdate says a couple of things and they are noticeable mostly.
But what about the game content updates, what exactly is new here?

Are we going to see the FBI hack for the mac?

A funky new world map 🙂

And I doubt will see the FBI hack as that changes the source code and isn't an addon.

I believe the mac version has now been brought up to date with the current PC version, thus the game content changes would reflect those changes made in the PC version.

The biggest update is arguably the fact that it's now a Universal Binary.

There is pretty much no chance we will ever see the FBI Mod or other DevCD mods released on the Mac. In the case of the FBI Mod, I don't believe neott has even released his source changes to the community, so there would be no way for Ambrosia to port it if they wished too. For Dev mods in general, as kickme pointed out, they require source code changes which means the only people that could release them would be Ambrosia themselves (due to the registration system in Mac uplink). It's highly unlikely that they would have the time to dedicate to porting these mods, especially considering the age of the game.

@jazzjohannes, on May 6 2008, 03:35 PM, said in Uplink 1.6 update history:

I am thrilled to know what exactly changed (history)!
So MacUpdate says a couple of things and they are noticeable mostly.
But what about the game content updates, what exactly is new here?

Are we going to see the FBI hack for the mac?

A list of the game content changes is available from Introversion. This release brings Uplink up to par with the latest PC release.

http://uplink.co.uk/changes.txt

Actually, Andcarne is quite wrong. There's one DevCD mod you are quite likely to see...

Basically, Uplink was re-ported. Pretty much from scratch. Contraband Entertainment were not involved, the porting was done by combined effort of Introversion and Ambrosia, Andcarne, Steven Noonan, Miah Clayton, and (for a few specific bits) myself. It's now, as has been said before, up to date with the Windows source.

@prophile, on May 6 2008, 01:46 PM, said in Uplink 1.6 update history:

Actually, Andcarne is quite wrong. There's one DevCD mod you are quite likely to see...

Basically, Uplink was re-ported. Pretty much from scratch. Contraband Entertainment were not involved, the porting was done by combined effort of Introversion and Ambrosia, Andcarne, Steven Noonan, Miah Clayton, and (for a few specific bits) myself. It's now, as has been said before, up to date with the Windows source.

Ah, so that's the source base we're working off now? I was wondering if it was the one I helped Miah with some time ago. 😉

But I don't really classify that as a 'mod', seeing as it's just a report and doesn't add any specific new content not associated with the official version of the game (whether it be PC or mac).

I should see if I can get ahold of the PC source revisions for the FBI mod though... It seems to be the only 'big' devCD mod that's really out there and finished, and it would be interesting to see whether or not there's anything in it that's remotely PC specific or not...

I meant Onlink actually 😛

And of course Miah and all the others don't get any mention anywhere except in a little text file you have to drill down into the Uplink bundle to find. 😕

@rickton, on May 6 2008, 05:16 PM, said in Uplink 1.6 update history:

And of course Miah and all the others don't get any mention anywhere except in a little text file you have to drill down into the Uplink bundle to find. 😕

Miah's name is listed in the about box. Apologies to who I may have missed or did not know about.

Speaking of mods, though... seems they don't seem to work the same way as they used to, i.e. my custom gateways don't appear in the game when I install them as I did before. What gives?

@shenlon, on May 6 2008, 07:44 PM, said in Uplink 1.6 update history:

Speaking of mods, though... seems they don't seem to work the same way as they used to, i.e. my custom gateways don't appear in the game when I install them as I did before. What gives?

**To install mods

1. Right-click the application and go to "Show package contents"
2. Go to Conents -> Resources (there you'll find everything you need)

**To save or install users

1. Go to Home -> Library -> Application Support -> Uplink
2. Check files with ending ".usr"

(Note: As from the PC update, old users from previous version prior to 1.6 won't work anymore )

I just moved my old user over from 1.3.4 and it appears to be working perfectly. The only trouble I had was finding the folder where the Users were stored... For whatever reason, a Spotlight search for "Uplink" didn't reveal the folder in Application Support.

@jazzjohannes, on May 8 2008, 08:03 AM, said in Uplink 1.6 update history:

**To install mods

2. Go to Contents -> Resources (there you'll find everything you need)

Help, I'm not getting it.

Where does one stick the old "data" and "graphics" folders?
I sticked them inside Resources, but that didn't work.

@jazzjohannes, on May 8 2008, 04:03 AM, said in Uplink 1.6 update history:

**To install mods

2. Go to Conents -> Resources (there you'll find everything you need)

**To save or install users

1. Go to Home -> Library -> Application Support -> Uplink
2. Check files with ending ".usr"

(Note: As from the PC update, old users from previous version prior to 1.6 won't work anymore )

This is wrong wrong wrong. Do not listen/follow these instructions. It' best you stay out of the Applications sub directories. You really don't want to screw up the sub folder hierarchy. The mods don't currently work as far as I know for the Uplink Universal Binary for Mac on my end either. The developers have yet to respond to the "mods not working" issue but I thought I'd chime in on this thread due to the fact that JazzJohannes is way off and inspiring people to potentially screw up their game.

It won't screw up your game... unless you remove important files. It just doesn't work if you add any mods to it.