Post 1.3.2 Bugs here

Originally posted by BlackLite:
**When you get one of the 'Delete all data on a competitions server' mission, I once tried to delete all of the data through the console. It removed it all when I checked the server normally, but when I replied, it said that the damage had not been done yet. Whats up?

This is not a bug, you are having a problem with a mission. In the future, please post it in a different topic.

To answer your question, you need to kill the server. After you delete the usr directory (or while it is woring on it), enter the following commands:

cd ..
cd sys
delete
shutdown

That will destroy the server, and then you can reply (after it appears in the news). Unless, of course, this is a storyline mission - some of those are different. If it is, try looking (url="http://"http://www.macgamer.net/games/uplink/guide/storyline/index.html")here(/url).

I hope this helps.

------------------
"Always listen to the experts. They will tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it." - The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
There are things more annoying than using MS Windows... but I can never remember what they are. -Me
Obligatory (url="http://"http://www.evula.com")"E"(/url) Link. Yes, Windows DOES suck; No, there's nothing you can do about it.

The one bug I've experienced with Uplink 1.3.2 (that was also there with 1.3.1) is with the first Revelation mission. I accept the first mission to hack into a mainframe and destroy key files. Then when I reply, the Revelation people reply with the 15000 or whatever credits and the Revelation 1.0 program. The thing is, the original destroy key files doesn't go away, so you can reply again, get an additional 15000 credits, and get an additional Revelation 1.0 program. You then get multiple messages from the Faith people, and you can reply multiple times with Revelation 1.0 and get multiple payments. It's nice to have a constant revenue source from this bug :), but it probably should be fixed.

------------------

System 9.1
G3 350
Rage ATI 128 pro
I'm giving it 128 MB RAM out of 196, and virtual memory is on.

Whenever I click on the map, the game quits. Actually, I've never quit, so I don't know what that looks like; but it changes the resolution back, switches to the desktop, the music stops, and there's no icon in the task bar.

It does the same thing when I try to log into the machine you (presumably) buy software from in the test mission.

------------------
War is a two edged sword. That dosen't mean that both sides loose. That means that I can dismember you on the swing and the backswing.

Originally posted by Kidglove II:

Originally posted by Slipperman:
When demanding full payment up front for a mission, the player is actually paid the full amount again upon completion. I don't have information on what happens when you demand half payment. Perhaps the same thing?

Are you sure you've been paid once more? Or is it just that the standard reply email says you've been paid? I'm not getting this.

Yes. I made sure that all missions at one point were pre-paid (i.e., I accepted none that were not). I was paid twice for a whole raft of Academic/Criminal hacks. I don't know why you can't duplicate it. I continue to consistently have this happen. The extra money is nice, but not the way it's meant to be 😉

Originally posted by Kidglove II:

When you visit a server on which you (...)

It's certainly no excuse, but there is a program available that can eliminate the InterNIC password.

I saw this application, but was unable to get it to function under OS 9.1 Nor was I able to extract the actual 'APPL' file from the .app package, which normally I am able to do with troublesome X/Classic hybrid .apps.

Could the problem be due to the version of Stuffit Expander I use (6.5.1) having corrupted the package? Or is the .app NOT for classic (in which case why is it not labelled "OS X only")?

------------------
Oops. Something went wrong with the nested quotes. Sorry.

(This message has been edited by Slipperman (edited 07-12-2003).)

This isn't a fatal bug at all. It's just weird.

At the main screen when you're looking at the list of IP addresses, notice those Toggle Visibility buttons to the right of them. Drag your mouse cursor below the buttons so that if there were a link that space, your mouse would be on its Toggle Visibility button. The help caption at the bottom of the screen says "Toggle the visiblity of this link on the map" even though there isn't a button there. Click the space. It makes the "click button" sound.

Of course that won't happen if your list contains so many links that it has to display them in list box.

Having programmed some stuff myself, I'm guessing one or more of the programmers knew about that but didn't want to take the time to make it not do that because it's not like anyone would both notice and care... but they were wrong.

------------------
#include <stdio.h>
char a(16)(33);int main(){int i,j;for(i=0;i<16;i++){for(j=0;j<33;j++){a(i)(j)=' ';if((a(i-1)(j-1)!=a(i-1)(j+1)&& j<32&& j>0&& i>0)| |(i==0&& j==16))
a(i)(j)='*';printf("%c ",a(i)(j));}printf("n");}}

(This message has been edited by SunRa (edited 07-13-2003).)

is the .app NOT for classic (in which case why is it not labelled "OS X only")?

.app bundles are only supposed to work on OS X.

'glove

------------------
Compilers - the ultimate god games.
(edit) I wish there was a preview feature on this board. (/edit)

To the person that was kind enought to quote me. Without more knowledge of how the varios routines of this game was written the following is a guess at the "features" I have noticed and mind you this is a partial list; and I will try not to be technical:
When in the game, their are a number of elements that represent variety of tools to enjoy one self. This is fine, this is what makes it a game. Alas, somewhere while in the windows world I suspect, someone decided to make it so that when you move your cursor over a element that represents a window for instance, what I hope is a thread being spawned makes ones CPU and GPU (aka your Radeon from ATI) calculate many thousands of computrons, however during this time a event is acuring a mouse button of some kind is being pressed. It waits a few cycles, and then either: failes to respond, do something counterintuitive, crash the game with a "feture" or all of the above, and if you are lucky the game responds in a timely fation. Next supose I bring up the menu for my software, and I happen to be in mid hack for a bank, or databass, this gawd ugly thing with boxy elemets from windows land apears, this is ID able by the boxy widget, and when I am working to bypass something while being traced and needing to delete logs or search or something, all the mouse_events stop responding ( IE I move mouse cursor mouse_listen does it's thing and I supose passes things on while the "OS" catches up. The following happens: click trace (miss a cycle map turns red) delete log menu stops listening and so does game.

Next, in the same complaint: supose I have inordinatly large number of upgrades coming, if I fast forward and get a unusually large number instead of the game having a niece way to have a cute widow where I can "browse them," it makes a long line at the bottom. This is normally not a problem. But someone forgot to include a zoom function, this is called a inteligence test wich the developers are thus far not doing all that well on.
I do realise ASW is ONLY the porters, but could someone (Hecktar.) perhaps include some mac specific necieties?

Next Idle in the background:
Yes I can place it in a pause state. However, their is no way to tell it to pause then tab to a new application (ie macOS) it grabs all known key bindings and cycles (actually key binds and ability to swich apps is the problem) thus if I wish to pause switch to say text edit I can't

I can with varius degress of sucess launch it inside it's own process...wich is amusing as this normally turns into a contest of crash, wedge segfault .
This is called a illmanord application.

Now let me be vary clear hear: I understand and tolerate ASW letting charming flaws like the horid way you can add things to the game, and the god awful way MS people navigate their OS. Could the default widget set altered at least a little to pretend to cater to the better asthetics MacOS people tend to have(copy paste etc.)
This servs two purpouses:
A) It makes developing additional mission pac's significantly easier.
B)It cleans up and makes bug traqing and design significantly better,

------------------
-Hummanity is a disease,
and I am the cure.
YOU!- Me
Me

UI/Interface concerns:

*When in a LAN or on the map, when you run a new program, the process window shows up in front of whatever window you are currently looking at. This has some advantage if I wanted to give my LAN scan more umph, but is mainly simply annoying.

• Consistent keyboard shortcuts for a lot of these things would be a godsend (escape key consistently backs out a level, &c;).

*If I click on a link while connected to an internal server or InterNC, it shouldn't connect me directly to that server but route me through whatever server I am connecting from.

*The zoom meter, on the map, covers whatever the connection message is when you save a route.

*The ability to save multiple routes would be wonderful.

------------------

Bug 1:

I got a destroy-the-corporate-data mission.

No sweat--I simply hack into the LAN (okay, so I had to log out because of the no-route-bug, but that's not the point), hack my way through the LAN, cross the wireless transmitter and I'm at the main server. I connect to the main server, the Sys admin signs on (damn those sys admin beepers!)

I log in go to the console and cd usr then delete.

Wait for it...

After it goes through most of the files (not all) the sys admin gets to my connection point and I get booted. I transfer over to InterNIC, delete my logs, and head back. I get back into the console and it starts all over again--including the files I deleted on my first trip.

Bug 2:

When hacking through LANS on password screens you consistently get the information for the first password box on the LAN that you hacked, not any for that particular terminal/device.

Bug 3:

In any case where in entering the password it automatically takes you through when you have entered it correctly it will display the passwords you know, but it won't let you select them.

Bug 4:

When you hack into a bank to "make a donation" for an employer the employer tells you to be sure to delete the records of the transaction afterwards. If you delete the transaction record before you reply to the email, they don't register that you have done anything.

(Maybe) Bug 5:

Not sure about this one, I don't seem to have been offered the storyline missions yet, though the game has been running for over a year. I'm currently a Mage, does it have to be better than that?

------------ Those are my "hard" bugs, now for a few "soft" bugs based on perception -------------

Bug/Suggestion 6:

This may simply be my perception: In some of the copy corporate database/source code missions you do not seem to have enough time, even if you factor out the breaking in process, to find and copy the data to your system.

Bug/Suggestion 7:

Fast forwarding time is screwy. You shouldn't be able to do it while hacking a system, or at least not when you first connect to the system you shouldn't be running at hyperspeed. When you are running at hyperspeed, however, it doesn't make password crackers or elliptical key ciphers work faster, but it does make the trace move a lot faster (can't tell that I've been caught by that one once or twice...).

------------------

Don't know if this is a bug or just poor user-protocol, but I upgraded my gateway and got the normal "we will replace your gateway in 24 hours" message:

However, when I then proceeded to purchase an additional CPU for this new gateway (in the same 24 game-hour period), I received the CPU upgrade and retained the old gateway with new CPU installed and both purchases deducted from my account!! As gateways are pretty darn expensive and time consuming to save up for, might this be fixed for new users or at least a warning added in the tutorial or something? (next time i'll be a bit more patient in my shopping, but maybe we can save some others the trouble of the first 5-hour waste of hacking) 🙂

------------------

A bit of a humourous bug: I was hacking into a server to do a "Steal Research Data" mission and while browsing through the file server I saw a file that took up 0 GigaQuads of storage space. Interestingly enough, the file had Level 1 commpression. I tried to copy the file just to see what would happen, but it did nothing. I know it's not a huge bug, but it still is rather ammusing.

------------------
Research shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population

(url="http://"http://sage_of_minerva.tripod.com")My website(/url). | (url="http://"http://openevgalaxy.sourceforge.net/")OmG! WhAt If ThErE wAs An Ev ThAt WaS MuLtIpLaYeR?(/url) | (url="http://"http://sage_of_minerva.tripod.com/hatc/index.html")The Happy Animatronic Children Website(/url)

Originally posted by Jericon:
**I'm sorry, Panther is an incomplete and unsupported operating system. Nothing will be done at this time to remedy this problem.

-J

The purpose of developer releases of the Operating System is so that software may be updated to function correctly with the new OS by the time it is released to the public. Ambrosia and Contraband Software should assume the responsibility of their software and make Uplink compatible with Panther. I understand that Uplink doesn't need to be updated for Panther while it is still in Development, but it is Ambrosia's duty to make their software work correctly under Panther and they shouldn't wait until it is released to begin updating code.

------------------
Steve Jobs for president, i tell you! OK... no... he'd be a terrible president... but it'd be good puclicity for Apple!

I posted above about being paid twice for pre-paid missions and someone else stated they were not able to duplicate this bug. I have definitely verified this one. Here's how it works and how you can follow along by yourself:

First make note of your bank balance.
Go into the Mission BBS and contact a prospective client.
Demand full payment in advance. If they agree, accept the mission. You should be paid immediately.
Check your balance; is it increased? Yes.

Now, before you actually carry out the mission for which you've just been paid in advance, quit the game.

Restart the game.
Make a note of your bank balance (in case your memory isn't so good).
Carry out the mission.
Check the balance again; it will be increased by the full fee. The fee which you were already paid when you accepted the mission.

Since this double payment does not occur unless the game is exited before carrying out pre-paid missions, that would indicate an error in writing the user file (i.e., the active missions for which the agent has been already paid are not so flagged).

(This message has been edited by Slipperman (edited 07-14-2003).)

Pretty sure this is a bug. I'm playing the Uplink demo, and got whatever max rank you can get in the demo. So I'm just screwing around accepting all the missions I can. Eventually I select a mission that if I click Accept, it tells me I need a higher rank. But if I click contact, I can contact them, demand payment entirely up-front, and accept the job to boot. Which I'm pretty sure just ain't right.

I was also having some weird problems involving the game not accepting mouse clicks on some things (Meaning, it worked on, say, display the list of hacker tools you have, but not on selecting text fields, moving movable windows, automatically imputting passwords, etc), but I couldn't tell you the circumstances of that, since I don't remember if I had done anything funky on the computer.

------------------

This bug is REALLY pissing me off. You know those missions where u have to upload files to other people's cpu's? Like when you have to upload faith to all the infected cpu's. Well sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I copy the file from my data banks and select a memory slot on the target comp, click, and it either copies into place successfuly, or it doesn't. I always do the exact same thing, I'm 100% sure it's not me that's messing up. long story short i lost my guy due to this problem, Only occasionally could I stop the virus (revelation) from spreading.
Another thing, when you run the revelation tracker program on your comp and look at the map, the red squares don't line up with their corresponding systems all the time so i'd have to run my ip lookup to find the infected system and by that time the virus would have spread. Maybe this isn't a glitch but it's just you developers trying to make it harder on gamers to stop the virus, no hard feelings.

Aside from a few bugs, it's a great game! 🙂

------------------
Gentlemen, boot your gateways.

First bug: Hack into GCD and search for admin. Give admin two convictions plus say they broke parole. Try to arrest them. Game crashes

Second bug (I think): I didn't get the last mission to try and stop Revelation, but decided to try and slow down the process of Revelation so I hacked into all of ARC's hackable systems as well as the company that they got their info from (forget the name offhand) and deleted everything. Maybe even shut down the systems, I forget. Now they don't have Revelation and even when I fast forward, I never get the mission in either the BBS or e-mail. I feel like I "beat" the game without actually beating it.

------------------

A nice bug:
I recently completed a Global Criminal Databass missio, the decided to ruin the lives of some people in ARUNMOR I'm currently in the ARUNMOR story perspective. Now this is normall not a problem: Random scenarios have fun blah blah, how ever, I then got a mission to track the same person whom I hadly scent to prison and the game promptly crashed reporting a error: Thread conflict.<BR>

------------------
-Hummanity is a disease,
and I am the cure.
YOU!- Me
Me

Originally posted by celticshadow007:
Well sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Most likely, what you're experiencing is the fact that there is no space left on the server. Delete some files, and try again - that most often solves it.

Originally posted by Githon:
it tells me I need a higher rank.

Does it say that you need a higher rank to auto-accept? In that case you can still get it, you just have to contact the employer first.

Originally posted by Githon:
but not on selecting text fields

Iirc, this doesn't work at all - you are supposed to hold your mouse pointer above the text field and then type. No click. Don't move the mouse pointer out of the text field.

'glove

------------------
Compilers - the ultimate god games.
(edit) I wish there was a preview feature on this board. (/edit)

(This message has been edited by Kidglove II (edited 07-23-2003).)

I have found a very annoying bug dealing with making bakup copies of ur character, for say a bank hack y'know just in case. so i copy my guy and hack the bank, get a million bucks, buy a new gateway. i speed up time and get the usual email about logging out then logging in to ur new gateway, right? so i log out and when i log back in i'm back to where i was before i hacked the bank. i've noticed this every time i make a backup file. 😕

------------------
Gentlemen, boot your gateways.

Originally posted by celticshadow007:
**I have found a very annoying bug dealing with making bakup copies of ur character, for say a bank hack y'know just in case. so i copy my guy and hack the bank, get a million bucks, buy a new gateway. i speed up time and get the usual email about logging out then logging in to ur new gateway, right? so i log out and when i log back in i'm back to where i was before i hacked the bank. i've noticed this every time i make a backup file.😕

You can find information on backing up a character
(url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/Forum69/HTML/000470.html#")here(/url)

------------------
r