The Avara Guild

I need your opinions on something:

Forum Icon Uploads

Of the 6 "icon new" icons, which one is you guys' favorite? I mean, which one would look best with the Guild? (First person to respond gets pre-registered, and a sneak peek at the Guild! PM me with HECTOR pilot name (username) and password after you post.)

Six and one look good.

Aw, %@#$%!! I just typed up a big response to this, and STUPID MS IE decided to quit on me! Dang! Anyways, a quick summary of what I typed:

I already put in #6. Katana gets a pre-reg account and a sneak-peek. Katana needs to PM me with the username/password that he wants on AG. The New Topic and New Poll buttons look terrible, but that's due to me being on a Windows with nothing better than MS Paint on it. I tried to make a gradient, but, for obvious reasons, it failed miserably. I'm currently searching for a way to easily keep track of Avara game scores and have it reflect in the Guild. Otherwise, the Guild is nearly done.

How about that? That's the super-condensed version. Wow. I HATE MS. Especially older web browsers.

~Q-Lok out.

Put Linux on your second hard drive, and use Firefox (or, if you have a fossilized build of Linux, the Mozilla hulk).

Yeah. Linux is good. I would suggest Slackerware or Knoppix. Knoppix is probably better 'cause it boots off a cd.

EDIT: Yay! I figured out how to edit my post! Anyways, an Avara RPG would be pretty awesome. Is that possible?

This post has been edited by Katana !!! : 10 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

heh, I don't know how plausible an Avara RPG is, but I'm sure it would take a lot of coding, or even a mod of the game 😮 I'm not a level coding expert, but I know enough to say that kind of project would take a lot of work. Though the idea would we quite interesting to play.

I meant a webboard RPG.

whatever....

Looks awesome, except for a few of the icons. It's great. Keep up the good work, even if this isn't necessary.

Katana !!!, on Jul 10 2005, 09:19 AM, said:

Yeah. Linux is good. I would suggest Slackerware or Knoppix. Knoppix is probably better 'cause it boots off a cd.

EDIT: Yay! I figured out how to edit my post! Anyways, an Avara RPG would be pretty awesome. Is that possible?
View Post

1. Linux? Sorry, not an option. I'm running Win98 here, one hard drive, and a particularly defunct one at that. I have... goes to check 😄 drive 984MB/6.01GB left. Kinda sad. Even installing a relatively small game would drag processing down past the point of no return.

2. Yes, it probably would be possible, it's just that no-one has the time.

Katana !!!, on Jul 11 2005, 12:11 PM, said:

Looks awesome, except for a few of the icons. It's great. Keep up the good work, even if this isn't necessary.
View Post

Thank you. And, about the icons... I KNOW!!! The best thing I have just now is Paint and a filetype converter. That means, of course, no gradients.

I suppose I'll open the Guild to public use, seeing as the only thing that isn't done is the image set. You still have to validate, but I'm the one who handles that personally.

P.S. Sorry for the double-post; I didn't realize that this went to the second page already.

An Avara RPG would be extremely hard. If you're going for console style, you could have random teleporters take you to another level temporarily, where you kill the baddies and another teleporter opens to take you back.

If you're going for Pen & Paper style, you can pretty much forget it. One person would have to be creating levels constantly, while the other players destroy it online. I don't think anyone can create a level fast enough for people to play after they get done with the first one while online.

Either way, you've already got team play, and there are only like 4 different bad guys in Avara, so that will get boring really fast. (Gasp! The final boss is a UFO that looks exactly like all the other freaking UFO's we've fought!). And you'd have to figure out some form of money system where players can buy more Boosters, Grenades, Missiles, etc. And an EXP system for leveling up and getting more shields (HP), Energy (MP), and Plasma (Weapon fatigue?). The list goes on and on.

I don't think any of us care enough/know enough to do that.

I could do it myself, as far as pen/paper style goes-it wouldn't be that hard, and perhaps more difficult than you believe.

However, I don't need another project-when I go through and clear my schedule up, I'll think about it.

-§torm

It wouldn't be hard at all. As for lack of skills and enemies, we can solve that ourselves.

żtaht tuoba erus uoY

Heh! 😄

Shut up 😄

Come on-- it's not my fault you put that in your sig...

OK, the Avara Guild is open. Katana, your account has been switched to Members. You do not have to go through the validation process. Everyone else, have at it! The images are still incomplete, but that should only be a problem for a short while longer. New members are required to post in Validations and be previewed by myself. After that, the forum rather speaks for itself.

If "clans are the lifeblood of the guild", I imagine it'll be dead for quite a while-only old clans exist nowdays, as a memorial to former glory. Nobody has any clans-this just isn't a clan game.

Although the designer forum is meant well, I find little point in it-practically everyone is a designer nowdays, and can also usually be contacted through other forms of communication easily-there's no need for a specialized forum.

Who is this "Avara Council" composed of?

I find it a bit extravagant-there are more ranks on the forums than there are Avara players who will actually read anything that happens. More forums, too.

I'll repeat what I said earlier-I find this an unnecessary frivolity. It would be more practical to use our time on new levels, or new posts/articles, or specialized projects that will directly improve the community-a server list comes to mind.

Not a bad forum, but is it really needed?

-Bob

Don't you have the Scarlet Brigade?

And can I join?

<Deleted>

This post has been edited by Katana !!! : 05 October 2005 - 07:51 PM