Whats avara?

Title says it all... whats avara?

------------------
O.

Why don't you go to the Avara FAQ's and find out?

Or, if you're too lazy...
"Avara is a fast and furious 3D networkable game with modest hardware requirements, and high a high adrenaline factor. Immerse yourself in a user-expandable world where gladiatorial-style battles determine fortune, fame, or disgrace."

Welcome to the Boards.

------------------
The more you think about things, the wierder they seem. Take milk. Why do we drink COW milk? Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said, "I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!"? Isn't that wierd?-- Calvin
God bless,
Robert Marlin

yay

------------------
O.

Unfortunately it's also a rather old game that doesn't get consistant use. If you're interested, email me and I can show you the ropes a bit. (Address should be in my profile.)

(edit (plug): It is unfortunate... after all of these years, it's still one of my favorite games, and one of the best I know of, for what it is. So I highly encourage you to download the game and some levels (www.ambrosiasw.com/games/avara/addons.html) and give it a try.)

------------------

"Jelly Belly should be sued for contributing to the delinquency and
intellectual torpitude of the nation." (insert a link for the billboard)
What do you think? I need to either find a picture or take one yet...
Haha. You could be the Ralph Nader of the Intellectual World...

(This message has been edited by rebelswin_85 (edited 08-17-2004).)

(/quote)
------------------
O.
View Post
(/quote)
Just like Pong! 😛

I tried to get into Avara for a while, and I still think it was one of the coolest games ever, but the lag sucked way too much when playing over the internet, even with a 56k modem which was damn good at that time it was just about impossible. Now that I have access to a connection on which it might work, Apple broke Classic mode for older machines (it's so ****ing slow in 10.3, couldn't even play Warcraft 2 in Classic if I wanted... what the hell) and the graphics seem too dated to even make sense in my mind any more.

The latest version of Avara (1.0.2) is optimized to work well in Classic mode on OSX. Come play again, it's fun.

Robert Marlin, on Sep 19 2004, 01:14 PM, said:

The latest version of Avara (1.0.2) is optimized to work well in Classic mode on OSX. Come play again, it's fun.
View Post

I'm not sure if my replying qualifies as gravedigging. 🙂

Anyway, the problem is not Avara. The problem is Apple literally messed up Classic mode. I've experienced this on several older machines. Nothing works well.

LoneIgadzra, on Nov 4 2004, 10:59 PM, said:

I'm not sure if my replying qualifies as gravedigging. 🙂
View Post

Heh, not on this board. 😉

Avara 1.0.2 works well under Classic, my computer has Panther on it and Avara runs smoothly.

This post has been edited by Robert Marlin : 05 November 2004 - 02:53 PM

I dunno, I never really could get into Avara.
Maybe I should try to do so soon.

The biggest turn off for me were the really bad graphics.

But, then again, I only tried it once,
and it wasn't over the net.

The more you think about things, the wierder they seem. Take milk. Why do we drink COW milk? Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said, "I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!"? Isn't that wierd?-- Calvin

This is funny!

To be quite honest, I hate playing avara in classic mode... I always play on my old beige G3 so that I don't have to bother with the bugs.

Yes, there are bugs... like the movement of the medium hull's head. The movement goes buggy every once and a while for no reason. The head mainly doesn't move it's full radius, and yes, it does cost me the game sometimes 😛

I only tlak about any bugs I've found in the medium hull, because that is the only hull I really like to use anymore... So, that is the main reason I don't play in OSX anymore, unless I have no other choice availiable.

Classic sucks under panther.

Does anyone know if you can boot a eMac
that came with panther installed under classic?

If it can be done, then I want to do it!

Gamerman: I don't think so.

Vader: I haven't had aiming trouble with any of the hulls. I was even able to beat Spy Hunt in two and 1/2 minutes with the Heavy. I don't even have problems with Tycho's Aftershock update. Why am I the only person who doesn't have trouble with Avara and Classic mode?

This post has been edited by Robert Marlin : 14 November 2004 - 12:59 PM

No offence, Robert, but I've been playing since the game was released (well, ok, like about 1 week after it's release date) and I know exactly how far the turning radius of the heads should be. I could tell if it was even just a few degrees off, which is exactly what I feel while playing under classic mode on my G4. My guess is that it is there, you just might not be able to recognize it.

Vader, on Nov 15 2004, 03:06 PM, said:

My guess is that it is there, you just might not be able to recognize it.
View Post

Hmm, you're probably right, though it obviously doesn't bug me as much.

You know, now that I actually slow down and try it, you are right. The pod movement is pretty jerky. It does, however, move it's full radius, albeit with one glitch I've noticed: you cannot move it all the way in one move, you must do it very slowly or by continually moving your mouse in the desired direction, jerking the pod the rest of the way. It does hurt in battle, and the aforementioned solution isn't very elegant. I do have a theory on this, but I'm bored and I just want to play the flipping game.

All around, though, the aiming control IS an improvement from the previous version.

Vader, on Nov 8 2004, 07:49 PM, said:

To be quite honest, I hate playing avara in classic mode... I always play on my old beige G3 so that I don't have to bother with the bugs.

Yes, there are bugs... like the movement of the medium hull's head. The movement goes buggy every once and a while for no reason. The head mainly doesn't move it's full radius, and yes, it does cost me the game sometimes 😛

I only tlak about any bugs I've found in the medium hull, because that is the only hull I really like to use anymore... So, that is the main reason I don't play in OSX anymore, unless I have no other choice availiable.
View Post

If you can't get your head to aim all the way to the extremes sometimes, press and hold the look forward key for a sec or two. That will recenter the mouse (and your view) so that you aim correctly again.

Robert Marlin, on Nov 12 2004, 05:24 PM, said:

Gamerman: I don't think so.
View Post

Not that it really matters right now.

At the moment due to B-tree catalog errors, I am unable to use my computers system software or HD.

The only way that I am able to post is by using an external HD until I can get some software to fix the catalog corruption.

This sucks...

Oh, and by the way, sorry about the late response.

This post has been edited by Gamerman : 02 December 2004 - 12:45 AM