AppleTalk Avara game - What the heck?

Well, now that I finally have two computers, I decided to start my fun by playing an AppleTalk Avara game. I fired up Avara on my iMac, set it to AppleTalk, and clicked start server. I then tried to connect to it with my old computer. I found the computer on the network that had the Avara Server running, selected "AvaraServer" in the programs column and clicked OK. Low and behold, a box pops up saying "The selected server requires you to log in:" Now nowhere did I specify this. The only thing I could think of to try was to log-in with the file sharing user name and password, but that did not work. Some help perhaps disabling the log in or figuring out what user name and password to use would be hot...

------------------
"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea." - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

(This message has been edited by LoneIgadzra (edited 08-16-2001).)

you might want to try setting up your server (both computers, perhaps?) to allow guests to connect to your computer and to link to your programs. Both options should be in file sharing. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

------------------
Pinky, Are you pondering what I am pondering?
I think so, Brain, but if they called them sad meals, kids wouldn't buy them.

Originally posted by rebelswin_85:
**you might want to try setting up your server (both computers, perhaps?) to allow guests to connect to your computer and to link to your programs. Both options should be in file sharing. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Actually, I believe the appropriate control panel for this situation is the Users and Groups control panel. Simply open the control panel, open the user named <Guest>, and check both boxes. Make sure you save changes when you close the windows.

This information is accurate to at least OS 7.0-7.5.5, probably up to 8.1, possibly up to 8.6, maybe up to 9.1, wrong for OS X...

------------------
Knucklehead
--------------------------
Where's the beep?

Originally posted by Knucklehead:
**This information is accurate to at least OS 7.0-7.5.5, probably up to 8.1, possibly up to 8.6, maybe up to 9.1, wrong for OS X...

I'll correct my previous error by saying this: that information is accurate up to 8.6. I don't know beyond that.

------------------
Pinky, Are you pondering what I am pondering?
I think so, Brain, but if they called them sad meals, kids wouldn't buy them.

I should have mentioned that I am running Mac OS 9.0.4

Well, thanks for the idea that I may have missed something in my troubleshooting rounds on the Fil Sharing control panel, I think it's fixed now.

------------------
"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea." - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy