ARES X

@rudy, on Oct 22 2008, 10:42 PM, said in ARES X:

I've got the code compiling, i did have to stub out 10 functions that may or may not be needed in order to accomplish NL's task. I also threw together some code to generate the png files, its rough and doesn't do any of the simple calculations for determining how big to make the context based on how many sprites there are and their dimensions. /me now goes to sleep so he can fix Defcon and relax by working on EV Nova tomorrow.

Rudy that's awesome.

If you don't mind posting what you compiled that would be great. I imagine it could be useful as a learning aid to some of us, if not just interesting.

It sounds like you're pretty confident you're on the right track, correct?

@redsteven, on Oct 22 2008, 09:17 PM, said in ARES X:

Rudy that's you're awesome.

Fixed. šŸ˜„

I could get going on the port as soon as this Saturday if you guys can get me what I need.

@ Captain Bob - I didn't get the email.

Edited for clarity.

This post has been edited by Rebelious : 23 October 2008 - 08:58 AM

Actually, since Kepi asked for it too in the Just Games thread, I decided to upload it:

Ares Data Āƒ (7.9 MB zip file)

I'm about to go to bed, but here's something: SMIV resource 1001 ("Planet Marslike") looks something like this:

Attached File Planet_Marslike.png (97.03K)
Number of downloads: 82

I didn't read the code that Nathan gave for the sprites, but my understanding of the format is that there is a (roughly) 80-byte header with metadata about the sprite, followed by a sequence of bytes which index into the standard Ares CLUT. I don't have a copy of the CLUT on hand, but my recollection is that it consists of a block of 16 "pure" colors, followed by 15 blocks of colors, with 16 shades of brightness.

The "specialness" of this CLUT is why Ares is able to recolor sprites in net games so easily; it simply ignores the four high-order bits of the CLUT index and maps them to another block. Since brightness is consistent across them, you get the same shading, with a different color.

Anyway, I need to sleep too, but I will definitely be continuing with this tomorrow.

Closer.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This post has been edited by Pallas Athene : 23 October 2008 - 11:44 PM

Well, certainly looks like the clock is in motion on this one. Keep up the great work guys..... šŸ™‚

Is the intention a direct port? or an upgrade?

Or a combination?

IE, Port the game and all its resources as-is, so the classic version of ares Runs on OSX--with the same look (but with newer code, and less vauge easier to work with media formats), but then also make it so it can take full-color graphics and longer effect animations as well as high(er) resolution ship sprites.

I guess kinda like Marathon/Aleph One.

Though either way, hopefully it can be upgraded to support, for example fighters that can be launched and recovered to their mothership. And maybe weapons that do negative energy reserve damage, or perhaps negative shield damage (recharge, since in prolonged games it always irritated me when I'd end up with cruisers without enough reserve power to fight anymore, but that's not really a gameplay issue--its more of a style).

The energy bit I don't think would be to hard, but the fighters would probably be harder, ~ONLY~ because I don't think the game keeps track of which fighter came from what ship (other than who its orders say to follow).

I'm hoping for a direct port.

At this point the plan is for a direct port. It's not that I'm opposed to the idea of improvements, but I wouldn't want to do anything like that without Nathan Lamont's approval. An excerpt from one of his emails (I added the boldfacing on my own)

Under what conditions would I release the source? This is an interesting question. There really isn't any value in the actual code for me -- the only thing I'm protective of is the Ares "universe." Perhaps the code could be open sourced, but not the support files, so you would need the original app to work.

Since he's protective of the universe, that would make a sequal totally out of the question... for now.

He might be receptive to upgrades, but let's get this up and running first šŸ™‚

And Pallas... you deserve a cookie... or two.

This post has been edited by redsteven : 23 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

Definitely ou should go for a direct port only.
Add-ons can be added on later.

A GUI change could be in order but if he is only protective of the universe then a great port could convince him to write a second one.

FYI you will all be My life long heros if you pull this off

@lord-commander-anic, on Oct 23 2008, 04:23 PM, said in ARES X:

Definitely ou should go for a direct port only.
Add-ons can be added on later.

I'm inclined to agree with the first part, and disagree with the second.

Only because if you need to do a significant amount of reworking/tweaking/fixing for any new features, it'd be much easier to do during the port, not as a hatchet-job afterwards.

The thought being to end up with something like an EVC TC plugin for EVN (not that I ever found one that really did a good job), same game/missions/graphics, but new engine that the default scenario makes no use of the new features of (other than the ones that it might need to appear the same).

Of course, I'm still speaking with little idea of what needs to be done for either, and assuming that much will need to be remade from scratch.

Though as an unrelated note, would it be worth trying to use something like SDL, so it could be ported beyond OSX?

Back when I first talked to Gavin, the OP, we discussed continuing the story line. However, as it seems Nathan is protective of the actual Ares Universe, I would agree that it would be better to port first, staying within Nathan's good graces so that this project isn't boxed by either him, or Ambrosia.

Having said that, I think we should consider a 'neo-port' option.
This 'neo-port' would include the following;
Ā• The first and foremost goal would be to port the code over to OSX, allowing it to be played natively on a modern computer.
Ā• On top of that I would suggest - provided Nathan allows it - an upgrade to the graphics. It seems to me we have a number of artistically inclined people here, I myself am a professional print and graphic artist, so the world of graphics is no stranger to me. And we can make all the vessels 100% the same as the legacy ones, but with greater detail, the same with the planets, the marines, etc.
Ā• Additionally, I would recommend some game tweaks, like ToLazyToMakeAnAccount stated. I too was annoyed when my Cruisers ran out of energy, and I swore there had to be a way to refuel them.
Ā• Minor eye-candy upgrades, things like when you board a station, have some obvious battle happen on the inside (like compartments decompressing, and bodies ejecting into space), planets slowly rotating, visual damage taken to the ships, etc.

*Another idea would be to modernise the games ability to play multiplayer. GameRanger is still alive, and made the transition to OSX, so if Ares also makes the transition, we should see if we can maintain the games ability to utilise the GameRanger service.

These would be my suggestions. If we have enough people who are graphically inclined - and the permission of Nathan - then I don't see at least a couple of my ideas being too far out of the realm of possibility. As for modifications to the game engine, whoever is doing our port for us would need to be willing to take on this undertaking.

Finally, as Lord Commander Anic said, we should also leave the possibly open for add-ons to be added on later.

-eveningtoast

Here's what I, the dude who's actually going to do the porting at this point, say:

First, we port the thing. Yay, everybody's happy.

EDIT: (And if you're very nice and say "please and thank you" (and, more importantly, I get permission from Nathan Lamont) I might do a Windows port, if everything works well the first go-around.)

Second, if you guys really want upgraded graphics, I can go for that. You make 'em, I stick 'em in the game (as a plug-in, of course).

Third, I might try to port the map editor. If there's a ton of demand.

Fourth, I will personally talk to Nathan Lamont, explain my position, and lobby for a sequel.

But in that order, and in no other way, do I agree to do this.

Understood?

Now, if I can get all the .pngs and the source code by this weekend, I might be able to begin work over the weekend on this. I'll try to set up a sourceforge site for it, but it all depends on how fast you get this going.

This post has been edited by Rebelious : 23 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

@adam_0, on Oct 23 2008, 08:28 PM, said in ARES X:

Here's what I, the dude who's actually going to do the porting at this point, say:
But in that order, and in no other way, do I agree to do this.

Understood?

Now we have an agenda. So, if I understand this correctly, first we need to make these sprites pngs, then Nathan will give us the source code to be converted, correct?
I can convert files any files we have to png, I just need the files. If whoever gets pulls them out can attach them to a post, or contact me, I can convert them.

Is that where we stand?

@Rebelious, are you able to get the sprites, or is that something someone else needs to do?

@eveningtoast, on Oct 23 2008, 07:40 PM, said in ARES X:

Now we have an agenda. So, if I understand this correctly, first we need to make these sprites pngs, then Nathan will give us the source code to be converted, correct?
I can convert files any files we have to png, I just need the files. If whoever gets pulls them out can attach them to a post, or contact me, I can convert them.

Is that where we stand?

@Rebelious, are you able to get the sprites, or is that something someone else needs to do?

Here's what's going: the sprites are not a standard format, or else I would be converting them myself. They're NL's special format, making them impossible to be read by Photoshop and the like. I already have people working on that, it appears that Pallas has almost figured it out.

You really should read the whole topic before posting, that's generally the standard procedure here.

@adam_0, on Oct 23 2008, 09:49 PM, said in ARES X:

Here's what's going: the sprites are not a standard format, or else I would be converting them myself. They're NL's special format, making them impossible to be read by Photoshop and the like. I already have people working on that, it appears that Pallas has almost figured it out.

You really should read the whole topic before posting, that's generally the standard procedure here.

Pardon my mistake, however, I had read the entire post - and nowhere did I see you organising a group of people working on the graphics. Having said that, please accept my apology - I was simply wanting to offer any support I could to this project.

-eveningtoast

Well, I don't really think "you" have people working on that, really. And it doesn't seem exactly that close to being done. He's got planets but no ships yet, and those are really the most important...
Anyway, it'd just be better if you took a bit of a nicer tone, especially with someone who's offered to help.

Correction:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Hehe. šŸ™‚