ARES X

@pallas-athene, on Nov 5 2008, 08:13 PM, said in ARES X:

If you have access to an OS 9 machine, then it would be helpful to have a bunch of screenshots as reference material. In particular, I would find it useful to have screenshots of various things in Hera, as reference material for when I've decoded things correctly. Screenshots of Ares itself might also be useful.

Don't forget, a number of Ares screenshots are already posted on this website: http://www.AmbrosiaS...creenshots.html. No shots of Hera, though.

I could provide screenshots of whatever you require from both Hera and Ares.
I (er) still use my OS9 machine on a daily basis...

What exactly do you need shots of?

Will Xsera support ether thousands or millions of colors? And i think it might be a good idea to support ether the use of 3rd party ares scenarios , or something that converts the scenarios into a usable OSX format (if possible/plausible)

On a side note: I have a PowerPC that runs on MAC OS 9.2 with a registered copy of Ares and Hera if there is anything i can help with. I also have another PowerPC running on MAC OSX 10.4.11 as well if you want any help with beta testing.

@tomas-cokis, on Nov 4 2008, 11:48 PM, said in ARES X:

Hello everybody, I'm new to the ambrosia forum board, but i've been with ambrosia for a while. Anyway, I don't know if it will work with ares, but I can get sheepshaver (mac os 9 for intels) working if you need it.

Anyway, I'm going to be doing the same thing for harry the handsome executive, exept I'm going to get it working on flash. Its basically my first project, and I'm not the master on actionscript but still, I'm going to try. If anyone wants to help me there welcome, if people actually do then I'll start my own thread

Ares does work on sheepsaver although it is a little buggy and choppy.
Attached File ares_in_sheepsaver.jpg (96.58K)
Number of downloads: 29

Seeing Harry on OS X would be great too.

Great work you guys have done on Xsera so far! I can't wait to see the finished port. πŸ™‚

I am happy to announce that three new topics have been made exclusively for tracking the development of Xsera!

@lord-commander-anic, on Nov 9 2008, 10:42 AM, said in ARES X:

I could provide screenshots of whatever you require from both Hera and Ares.
I (er) still use my OS9 machine on a daily basis...

What exactly do you need shots of?

It's Pallas that needs these shots the most, but I would get a screen of every basic look to Ares (each briefing screen, including a screen with ship data on it, each zoom level in-game, and menu shots as well). If Pallas needs more, he'll elaborate on what he wants.

Thanks for volunteering to help in this way!

@grenth, on Nov 12 2008, 12:52 PM, said in ARES X:

Will Xsera support ether thousands or millions of colors? And i think it might be a good idea to support ether the use of 3rd party ares scenarios , or something that converts the scenarios into a usable OSX format (if possible/plausible)

While I'm unsure about what it should support, I'm fairly confident that it will be a "millions of colors" game. I'll talk with my fellow developers about what they have to say on the matter and then add your questions to the FAQ.
Also, we're looking into support for 3rd party scenarios. Our first goal is to get Xsera working, but after that, anything could happen.
Thanks for asking!

@the_tree, on Nov 14 2008, 02:21 PM, said in ARES X:

Ares does work on sheepsaver although it is a little buggy and choppy.

If you could please post somewhere (I would advise posting it in a new topic) with step-by-step instructions on how to install and set up SheepShaver, that would be great... I'm sure that more than a few people will want to play the original game while they're waiting for Xsera to be relased.

This post has been edited by adam_0 : 15 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

Alright guys, it looks like Nathan Lamont added some more files to http://www.biggerplanet.com/ares.

I sent him an email questioning how we could use the files:

Subject: Re: Mission Complete
Date: November 13, 2008 11:31:48 PM EST
To: Nathan Lamont

Hey man, it's been a while since we've spoken.
First off, thanks again for releasing the source code and giving us permission to port/rewrite Ares for OS X (the current working name is "xsera", ares x backwards)

I see that you added some more stuff to the Ares page on your biggerplanet site. Specifically, you added the movies and the rest of the "media" (at least i don't THINK those were there before). Do we have permission to use items from those files in the port (e.g. the sounds)?

Thanks,
Steven

He replied with the following:

Subject: Re: Mission Complete
Date: November 14, 2008 9:51:13 AM EST
To: me

Each download includes a license which specifies how it may be used.

Regarding the name: if there is a sufficiently accurate and complete port of Ares, email me and I will be happy to evaluate it. If it's an accurate representation of my original work, I'll have no problem calling it plain "Ares" and giving it my blessing.

Some of the sounds in the media distribution have truncated names. The following shell script will restore them:

#!/bin/sh
SEP="_"
mv  "SShot 1.aiff"	"Space Shot 2${SEP}Burst${SEP}SShot 1.aiff"
mv  "22.aiff"		 "gaitori gunship.8${SEP}22.aiff"
mv  "11.snd-1.aiff"   "buzz short 8${SEP}11.snd.aiff"
mv  "11.snd-2.aiff"   "pulse beam+ 8${SEP}11.snd.snd"
mv  "22.snd.aiff"	 "fire belch 8${SEP}22.snd.aiff"
mv  "22.snd-1.aiff"   "gaitori let's go 8${SEP}22.aiff"
mv  "22.snd-2.aiff"   "cantharan let's go 8${SEP}22.aiff"
mv  "22.snd-3.aiff"   "salrilian let's go 8${SEP}22.aiff"
mv  "22.snd-4.aiff"   "audemedon letΒ’s go 8${SEP}22.aiff"
mv  "22.snd-5.aiff"   "engineer works 8${SEP}22.aiff"

Awesome! I was wondering what their real names were...

Ok, I have some screenshots ready. Took longer than I thought it would. 1.7Mb zip file - I need an email address to send them to.

Also, there are a few Ares screens here:
http://www.ambrosias...creenshots.html
in case you haven't found them yet.

@lord-commander-anic, on Nov 20 2008, 04:58 AM, said in ARES X:

I need an email address to send them to.

Mediafire would probably be better, just so that we can all see your shots.

Ok, screens uploaded here:
http://rapidshare.co...reens.sitx.html
Grab it soon, it'll die fast.

Password is "aresx" without the quotes (Quite an appropriate password don't u know... :D)

@lord-commander-anic, on Nov 21 2008, 07:37 AM, said in ARES X:

Password is "aresx" without the quotes (Quite an appropriate password don't u know... :D)

I downloaded it without the need for a password... just thought you should know...

...yes, but you'll need the password to unstuff it...

@lord-commander-anic, on Nov 21 2008, 08:25 AM, said in ARES X:

...yes, but you'll need the password to unstuff it...

Oh yes. Of course. I knew that πŸ˜‰

I assume that a Windows port is out of the question because I see some files are built with 68k assembly or is this going to be a mac-only type of deal?

Xsera's source is being made to be as portable as possible. There is no reason not to expect Windows and Linux ports, unless Ambrosia or Lamont have objections.

@lord-commander-anic, on Nov 21 2008, 11:37 AM, said in ARES X:

Ok, screens uploaded here:
http://rapidshare.co...reens.sitx.html
Grab it soon, it'll die fast.

Nice choice of screenshots. Well done.

Anic, perhaps the developers would be able to use screenshots from Hera as well, if you're able to provide them.

This post has been edited by redsteven : 21 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

Yes, I'll do a set of Hera shots and put them up in a day or so.
We aimz2pleaze πŸ™‚

i'm interested in making an objective c/cocoa port. anyone else?

Ok, here are some screens of Hera at work:
http://rapidshare.de...apics.sitx.html