[Xsera] [ANN] Xsera Demo 1 Released!

We've had this conversation many times before, dear.

And speaking of getting arses in gear, <insert statement about you having time to work on Xsera but not Xenos?>!

This post has been edited by Rickton : 03 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

Oh please. I'm a poor highschool student who doesn't have the money to upgrade to OS X Leopard. What am I supposed to do, beg on the streets for a copy?

In a recent MacWorld article (February 2009, page 14 on the lower-left hand corner) said that 83% of Mac users run Leopard, 15% run Tiger, and a mere 2% are using an older OS. It took me a while, but I finally upgraded just over a month ago.

Regardless, you aren't missing much besides warping, zooming and shooting. There is no AI and only two weapons. If you still feel the urge, you should go down to your local Best Buy with Xsera on a flash drive to try it on a demo machine. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by gavin83209 : 03 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

Our Best Buy doesn't carry Macs.

Curious, I thought they all did. Now I see the problem.

@the devs: How is the video coming? And is the Sourceforge page ever going to be updated?

Edit: 100th post!

This post has been edited by gavin83209 : 03 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (Rickton @ Apr 3 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And speaking of getting arses in gear, <insert statement about you having time to work on Xsera but not Xenos?>!

Actually, it was his problem that I somehow accidentally fixed that allowed the demo to be released.

<insert statement about how the sounds are coming along wonderfully and about how everybody is so harmonious on this team>

QUOTE (gavin83209 @ Apr 3 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

@the devs: How is the video coming? And is the Sourceforge page ever going to be updated?

Sourceforge has pretty much been dumped, thanks to nfreader giving us a part of his web server.

Also, video should be coming today, if I don't forget. (today PDT)

This post has been edited by adam_0 : 03 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

Woohoo, vids!

3.Q: How compatible is "highly compatible" (in reference to Graphics question 1)?

A: Xsera should work on both PowerPC and Intel computers running OS X, as well as Windows and Linux computers. The system requirements should be minimal, since the game will be very similar to the original.

Talking more with Alastair about this, the minimum requirements for OS X will be version 10.4.10. That being said, Alastair has plans to make adjustments of sorts for older OSes. We'll keep you posted.

Is it too early to tell if OS 10.3.9 will be supported or not?

I believe prophile mentioned supporting older versions of OS X via Makefiles, although I'm not completely sure on that. Those were the "plans" I alluded to.

This post has been edited by adam_0 : 03 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (adam_0 @ Apr 3 2009, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<insert statement about how the sounds are coming along wonderfully and about how everybody is so harmonious on this team>

Oh, this isn't inharmonius. Tensions aren't running high 'til the goatse comes out.

❤ Ares so much. Thanks for your efforts making an OS X version.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting things started. Got the demo of Xsera and launched it. So far no problems. 'Test' is working as well as 'Credits', but 'Demo' keeps Xsera crashing instantly.

Got a new MacPro happy with 10.5.6. Is there anything I can do to have a look at the demo?

Edit: I could send you an error report if needed.

This post has been edited by Terek E`Ban : 05 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

Please send crash reports, along with system stats. I'll send you my email via PM.

Thanks!

I have been putting it through stress test , by starting and stopping both the credits and Demo. No problems what so ever.

The demo seems to work fine on an iMac G5 w/ 10.5.6, although the controls are a bit different than what I remember and I couldn't figure out how to zoom or warp. It definitely seems to be more stable than playing through SheepShaver.

Keep up the great work! 🙂

This post has been edited by the_tree : 08 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (the_tree @ Apr 8 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The demo seems to work fine on an iMac G5 w/ 10.5.6, although the controls are a bit different than what I remember and I couldn't figure out how to zoom or warp. It definitely seems to be more stable than playing through SheepShaver.

Keep up the great work! 🙂

Controls are posted at the link where it says "Read more about the demo here" in the first post, and yes, the controls are different right now, as I am developing from a laptop, and I need to be able to test on-the-go without a full sized keyboard. We plan to have reassignable controls, but this is not implemented at the moment.

QUOTE (Two Jacks @ Apr 3 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woohoo, vids!

The vids will be up soon after prophile sends me the voice track.

QUOTE (LNSU @ Apr 9 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The vids will be up soon after prophile sends me the voice track.

He's out of town 'til the end of the weekend.

Hey, great work guys.
I go away for a week and Xera comes out!

Just ran it on my MBP 17" 10.5.6
Runs nicely in a window, rather like the sheepshaver expereince but without the lag.
And hey we have weaps too (Didn't read the instructions until after I played the demo. We're Mac users, we don't need instructions 😄 Took it for a spin, fired a few rockets..., couldn't find the carrier.

Two crashes:
Once when i pressed the x key (whilst looking for the keyboard commands, before I'd read the instructions).
Second when I was zooming out whilst warping.
Neither of these crashes occurred when i tried to induce them a second time.
And neither occurred when I installed the extra graphics pak.
Seems quite stable.
If it's of value i could test it also on a late model iMac G4 running Leopard (10.5.4 I think)
Also i could send you any future crash logs if they're of any use.

Very nicely done. Take a collective bow 🙂
Things are coming along really well
I look forward to the more advanced demos.

Did anyone perchance give my ships a spin? If so, please let me know what you thought, whether you liked them, if you thought they were faithful enough, etc.

Yes. I tried out the nouveau Ishman Heavy Cruiser.
It's very smooth and sharp detail. No rattles or squeaks when we go tho warp either. Nice work.
But too white, will you be applying the normal Ishman greenyblue colour to it in due course?

This post has been edited by Lord Commander Anic : 14 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

Yes. I tried out the nouveau Ishman Heavy Cruiser.
It's very smooth and sharp detail. No rattles or squeaks when we go tho warp either. Nice work.

Thank you!

But too white, will you be applying the normal Ishman greenyblue colour to it in due course?

Well, I was told to deliver all the ships in white, so I assume there is some sort of devious programming trick underway.