Ares For Mac OS X?

Do you think there might be an updated version of Ares for the latest version of Mac OS? A bit like Bubble Trouble. Its a great game and would be great if you didn't have to start Classic everytime. And maybe you could enhance it to Millions of Colours so the detail would be better.
Just one more suggestion; On the large ships such as Carriers the detail is blurred so you have to zoom out to make stop the ship from looking blocky. All the other ships are though. Just that it would be nice if the ships looked equal.

------------------
"Death to all those who
oppose the might of
the CJMs!"
The late CJM

Originally posted by CJM2:
**Do you think there might be an updated version of Ares for the latest version of Mac OS?

Nope!
I think Ares will retain it's eternal charm as a "classic" game! 🙂

------------------
Oh, so it is another bug hunt then...

Unfortunately, Nathan Lamont doesn't seem to be too interested in working on Ares anymore.

As far as the graphics go, Ares has something of an arcade game feel to me, and the graphics help that (so, for me, it makes it better). However, others are entitled to be less enlightened than I.

------------------
"Humans are hicks."
- Paff's Law
It explains so much...

Originally posted by Mag Steelglass:
**Unfortunately, Nathan Lamont doesn't seem to be too interested in working on Ares anymore.

As far as the graphics go, Ares has something of an arcade game feel to me, and the graphics help that (so, for me, it makes it better). However, others are entitled to be less enlightened than I.

'Course, wouldn't it be awsome to play ares in full 3D? Imagine the Canth gateship's size...

But oh well. Ares is just as it is, and will remain so till we finaly do send out the Ares, and then the Canths take over earth...

------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

It seems to me that, if one were to turn Ares into a "professional" game (such as Diablo 2, Starcraft, etc.) and make it 3D, a spectacular addition would be combining it with a first-person shooter aspect for the EVATs and ground troops, so that one person does the normal Ares ship-related things while others take the rolls of the troopers. This would make for a much larger game that would need a lot more players at one time, though, and would probably have fairly high hardware requirements.

------------------
"Humans are hicks."
- Paff's Law
It explains so much...

Originally posted by Skyfox:
'Course, wouldn't it be awsome to play ares in full 3D?

No, no, no! Just like EV would suck in 3D. You people don't get it. 3D !> 2D automaticly! Certain games are better in 3D (Quake 3, Giants, Avara, etc.), while others are better in 2D (EV, Ares, Starcraft). The exception would be in a game like Warcraft 3 where it plays exactly like a 2D game, but with pretty 3D sprites.

------------------
Ich. Fahr. Omnibus!

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."
-- Albert Einstein

Hmm, Ares definitely wouldn't work first-person, because you have to manage a fleet. But that doesn't mean it can't be 3D. Chances are, however, that the player would only really have control over two dimensions, while other objects resided at different heights. Perhaps some limited vertical control for atmospheric combat as well?

------------------
"The libertarian roots of the Internet run deep. It was the place where innovation trumped experience, where the little guy had as big a megaphone as the largest network, where the small business could reach a global market, where the public could regulate far better than any government.
"No one imagined that the megaphone would become so loud or that it would speak so often of penis enlargement pills and opportunities for unusual financial transactions in Nigeria."
-New York Times, "How to Unclog the Information Artery" Money & Business, 5-25-03

Im a strong believer of 3D EV. LONG LIVE 3D EVN!!! It would be nice if Ambrosia started to adopt using 3D instead of shunning at alomst denying its very existance. I think that Ambrosia got scared of using 3D after Avara.

------------------
"Death to all those who
oppose the might of
the CJMs!"
The late CJM

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
Hmm, Ares definitely wouldn't work first-person, because you have to manage a fleet. But that doesn't mean it can't be 3D. Chances are, however, that the player would only really have control over two dimensions, while other objects resided at different heights. Perhaps some limited vertical control for atmospheric combat as well?

Ever played Homeworld? Its considerably harder to manage fleets in 3D, but still possible. The only problem with a 3D combat management game is that you usualy use the mouse for such games. But that doesn't work that well in 3D because the mouse can only move in 2D. Actualy, a 3D ares that played like warcraft3 might not be all that bad as well.

Originally posted by CJM2:
**Im a strong believer of 3D EV. LONG LIVE 3D EVN!!! It would be nice if Ambrosia started to adopt using 3D instead of shunning at alomst denying its very existance. I think that Ambrosia got scared of using 3D after Avara.

Uh, EVN 3D has already been done. Though i wish those games would come to the mac. Games like Freelancer, EVE: The Second Genesis, Homeworld.

You might want to try (url="http://"http://vendetta.guildsoftware.com/")Vendetta(/url). Its a 3D multiplayer space game.

------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

This thread is very useful for my girlfriend. Thanks to everyone. 🙂

------------------

Welcome to (url="http://"http://www.e-spy-software.com/keylogger.htm")Invisible Keylogger(/url) Online

Ever played Homeworld? Its considerably harder to manage fleets in 3D, but still possible. The only problem with a 3D combat management game is that you usualy use the mouse for such games. But that doesn't work that well in 3D because the mouse can only move in 2D. Actualy, a 3D ares that played like warcraft3 might not be all that bad as well.

Homeworld? Forget that. Play the Imperium Galactica series or Haegemonia.

Ares is a good game, but it needs major expanding. Wish NL would keep working on it. Hera needs some fine-tuning as well. Those errors really p!$$ me off.

------------------
Beware the fury of a patient man.
------------------
Guest182, your average, everyday visitor.

Thats all a little off topic. Its was originally supposed to be about whether Ares was actually going to be ported to Mac OS X. But I'm still an extremely strong supporter of 3D (Ambrosia, you made wallpaper of 3D Nova why not make the game look like it) although 3D ares probably wouldn't work.

------------------
"Death to all those who
oppose the might of
the CJMs!"
The late CJM