MaG Ares Tournament: July 1-31st/MaG News

(EDIT: Added final rules drafted by Jimmy. Very few changes, marked by ***)
(EDIT: MaG Season will end on the 30th of JUNE.)
The MaG Ares season will end on the 30th of June and
theMaG Ares Tournament will be held thoughout the month of July. You can sign up for this tourney either by posting in the below thread or by emailing me(MaG Ares Admin) at (redacted)</A>
I urge you all to join the tourney-you can still play even if you dont have a MaG account by spending a few seconds to get one( www.magleague.net )
Other MaG news- MaG will be transitioning over to a new site/server soon. If you want a sneek peek, go to http://www.magleague.com/bbs2
Ares is the only active MaG ladder-let's keep it that way!

MaG Tournament Rules & Regulations!

The following tournament rules apply to all the ladders on the Macintosh Game League. To find specific rules for the ladder of your choice, scroll to the ladders name bellow.

1. You must be a member of the Macintosh Game League to enter this tournament.
2. All games will be a 1x1 competition with a best of 3 games played. The winner will move on to the next round while the loser will be eliminated from the tournament.
3. All joiners must play their games before the deadline dates of the specific round of the tournament or they will be disqualified.
4. Tournament organizers will decide who plays who according to players skill level and/or ranking, or a lottery system will be used.
5. "YOU" are responsible to set up your own games. E-mail and/or ICQ numbers will be provided to all joiners by the tournament organizers in order for you to contact the person you're playing against and set up a time/day to play each other.
6. A website will also be provided with links to all ladders that are in the tournament which will have updates on the games results.
7. You may enter once in all the ladders available for the tournament, providing that you have actually joined that ladder.
8. All games must be played within tournament rules and regulations without cheating or you risk being disqualified.

Ares Specific Rules ad Regulations:
9. All games must be a Best of 3 using standard Ares scenarios–no plugins are currently allowed.
10. All matchups must be played using the same race for both players( ie no Gaitori vs Ishiman, Human vs Salrilian etc)
***11. The lower seeded player in the tourniment will get to choose the first level of the best out of three magleague game. The higher seeded player will pick the last games of the magleague match.
12. While you are encouraged to have the full version of Ares in order to play, unregistered users may join the Tourney. Games that are timed out by the restriction must be replayed, unless both players agree that one of them had a decisive advantage over the other(for instance-2 carriers and a HVD vs a cruiser.) If both players don't agree, the game must be replayed.
13. Games played for the MaG Tourney are not submitted to the MaG site. The ares admin(me) will handle point distribution, so report all games to (redacted) .
14. The third game in a best of 3 may not be played on CTF or Space Warz.
***15. First round matchups are to be determined upon
your finishing on the current magleague ladder. The
first round will be set up like a NCAA tourniment. The
top seed will play the lowest seed. the second highest
seed will play the second lowest seed, and so on.

After the first round, the second round matchups will
be figured much like the first round matchups. The
winner of a first round match assumes the higher seed
of the two teams that played. From there, all players
will be matched up according to their seeds again. top
seed plays the lowest seed, second top plays the
second lowest, and so on.

The winner of that match than assumes the higher seed
between the two that were matched up, and continues
on. Eventually, only the strongest player survives.

Heres a running example of the tourniment with 4 made
up players: Sue (#1 seed) Jack (#2 seed) Sarah (#3
seed) and Sam (#4 seed) are all in the tourniment.
First round Sam (1) will play Sue (4), and Jack (2)
will play Sarah (3). Sue(1) destroys Sam (4). Sam is
now out. (Maybe he'll go on to play a losers bracket?)
Meanwhile, Jack (2) gets upset by Sarah (3). Sarah
than assumes Jack's #2 seed for the next round. The
next round the strongest plays the weakest, so Sarah
(now #2), plays Sue (1) for the championship.

There are obviously more players than that in the ares
bracket (tourniment) but it will work basically the
same way.

That's why people should work to get up to the higher
possitions, because then they will be playing people
of a much lower skill level. (However they deserved
it,for getting into a higher possistion.) The lower
ranked players will be fighting hard, but are not
knocked out though (especially if they were good, but
slacked off in terms of playing magleague games, like
many people on magleague.), and the ones that really
want it will get it.

This setup makes the tourniments fun, and also
promotes the ladder as a better possition helps secure
a better chance for victory. (Much like a NCAA
basketball team)

------------------
"It could be argued that MacOS X is less of an operating system and more of a screen saver (puts up pretty images for you to stare at while preventing you from actually getting work done)."
-mcb

(This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-17-2002).)

(This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-25-2002).)

This post has been edited by Patrick : 25 September 2007 - 03:07 PM

Oh yeah, here is the forum applications should follow.

What's Your E-Mail Address?

What's Your Nick On MaG?

What's Your Clans Name (Initials)?(If You Have)

What's Your ICQ Number? (If You Have)

------------------
"It could be argued that MacOS X is less of an operating system and more of a screen saver (puts up pretty images for you to stare at while preventing you from actually getting work done)."
-mcb

My nick is: Lord
My clan is: EL
My e-mail is: philaacc@unete.com
My icq: don´t have

------------------

Nick: Fyrephin
Clan: TN
Email: fyrephin@aol.com

grindoney also asked me to sign her up
Nick: grindoney
Clan: None
Email: grindoney@aol.com

------------------
Leader of TNT
#3 on the Ares MaG Ladder

Pallas
Eastlegion
caalaklael@aol.com
No ICQ

------------------
"Welcome to our Pirate outpost. Please enjoy your stay, and realize that any irregular actions can and will be used against you in the afterlife."

Nick: Tyrael
E-mail: mrknudson@mac.com
Clan: Eastlegion

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."

(This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 06-15-2002).)

I suppose I'll sign up.

Mag Steelglass
vertical_file@yahoo.com
no clan
no ICQ

------------------
"Vampiric chickens are spiffy. Bak bak bak ARRR!"

Laguna
NightShadeEcho@aol.com
East legion
41424 something...umm...

------------------

Darkk
asacks@mindspring.com
no clan
no ICQ

------------------
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

If I still played Ares, I certainly wouldn't miss this. Good luck all.

------------------
Resistance is futile. Join the alliance.
(url="http://"http://www.evula.com")evula.com(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.evula.net")evula.net(/url) | (url="http://"http://www.ev-nova.net")ev-nova.net(/url) | (url="http://"http://saberstudios.evula.net")saberstudios(/url)
"What reason would we have to commit murder when we say that women who induce abortions are murderers and will give account of it to God? For the same person would not regard the fetus in the womb as a living thing and therefore an object of God's care. -Athenagorus of Athens

lol well i think everyone pretty much knows I'm in...

BTW: I made a few modifications to pats rules, but they are all basically the same. This tourniment will be good.

--So i bet you are all wondering how the tourniment will be organized....well here's how we're going to do it...;)

I hope you people are familiar with the NCAA bracket system. If you are, you will probably catch on to how this is workin very fast. If you aren't familiar, you hopefully will be very soon. And if you still aren't familiar with it, I suggest seeing a doctor.

This first part is very important...

FIRST ROUND WILL BE DETERMINED UPON EACH PLAYER'S FINAL PLACEMENT ON THE ARES LADDER. All tied players will have to battle each other for possition once the ladder is closed and before round 1 begins. The ares admins ( Pat and I ) will determine the matchups amungst the tied players.

THE TOP SEED WILL PLAY THE LOWEST SEED THE SECOND HIGHEST SEED WILL PLAY THE SECOND LOWEST SEED. THE THIRD HIGHEST SEED WILL PLAY THE THIRD LOWEST SEED, AND SO ON.

THE WINNER OF THE MATCHUP WILL TAKE OVER THE OTHER PLAYER'S HIGHER SEED, OR MAINTAIN THEIR OWN HIGHER SEED. The loser is eliminated. The winner than is matched up in the second round based on their seed. Once again, the top seed will play the lowest seed and so on. Eventually everyone will get elimintated except the strongest players.

For all you slow people out there, here's an example. Lets say there are 4 players competing in the tourniment.

Bob (#1 seed)
Steve (#2 seed)
Brian (#3 seed)
Jollean (#4 seed)
Jackie (#4 seed)

Since jollean and jackie are tied, they must face off against each other first to see who deserves #4 more. Lets say Jackie wins the magleague game, jollean is than eliminated.

Now round one starts. Bob (#1) will play Jackie (#4). Steve (#2) will play Brian (#3). Lets say Bob (#1) destroys Jackie (#4). Jackie (#4) is than eliminated and Bob (#1) maintains his first place seed going into round 2. Then lets say Brian (#3) upsets Steve (#2). Steve (#2) is eliminated, and Brian (#3) takes over Steve's (#2) possition, and becomes Steve (#2) heading into round 2.

Round two begins, and the highest seed plays the lowest seed. That means Bob (#1) will end up playing Steve (#2) for the championship.

In the end it all works flawlessly out to a very challenging, yet very fun tourniment. Everyone will get challenged to the best of their ability, and only the strong and ready will survive.

You better start securing your spot on the ladder, and even eliminating some of the ties if you know what's best for you. Unless of course you want to surprise everyone with your intensive skillz during the heat of the tourniment, and don't think you need to have a higher seed to win----it'sall up to you.

------------------
ramble on..
--Jimmy Page
(list)
(*)(Leader of TĹG, Leader of Ares Empire, Magleague Ares Admin and guitar legend thoughout the sol system)