Coldstone Chronicles: The Fall of the Nervii: Aftermath

Well, here it is, the finale to the ‘gripping’ saga of Julius Caesar and the tribe of the Nervii. I hope you all have enjoyed reading these tales as much as I enjoyed writing them, and I look forward to reading many other stories submitted here, no matter who or what.

Part Five: Aftermath

Rothlin

The wind lashed the sails as the ship set out from the harbour. Rothlin clung to the side and watched as the coastline of Gaul began to drift away. He knew that he could never return to his homeland, and he wondered if the price he had paid, the price his people had paid was worth anything after all. His thoughts were disturbed as Talia came up from below decks, shielding her eyes from the sun, and smiled at him. Rothlin smiled back. Whatever the price, she was worth it.

Talia walked over to him at the rail, and joined him in staring back at the land they were leaving behind. She gripped his hand gently, and turned to look at him. “Do not blame yourself,” she said, her voice gentle. “There was nothing anyone could have done.” Rothlin bowed his head. She was right, there was nothing that he could have done. But he still felt responsible.

After the battle was lost, he had regrouped his forces and ordered them to disperse, disseminating themselves into other tribes. They had grimly acknowledged his order. The Nervii were no more. Caesar had defeated them again, and the best they could hope for was a new life, somewhere among the tribes. Then Rothlin had taken Talia and the people who could not bear to be parted with them, and had ridden for the coast. There they had found a captain willing to sail them away from Gaul, and across the water.

Rothlin turned away from his home for the last time and set his gaze ahead of the ship. On the horizon, looming closer as they sped before the wind, he could see the towering fastness of Ynes Prydein glinting under the sun. His resolve tightened. He and Talia, along with what was left of their people would start a new life here. It would be a long time before the Romans came here, to the final bastion of the Celts. Rothlin nodded slowly. It would indeed be a long time before Rome came to the island called Britannia.

Caesar

Like theGlueBubble said, more open than a Taiwanese hooker. I like. 🙂 No real complaints. Another nice job.

------------------
"Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." - Muad'Dib

just a small grammar?? comment...

In the last paragraph, both Caesar and Brutus speak, but when two different characters talk, you should really put in a new paragraph. Just how i learned it ;).

BTW, are u sure they show every story submitted because mines been waiting for like 2 months now.

------------------
The answer to life, the universe, and everything is...42.

Yes, we are very sure. It's just that Andiyar sent in a batch of about four at a time. Now, Andiyar-fest is over, and the vendors have returned to their caves, so the other members should get some writing in. 🙂

BTW, Andiyar, he's write about the dialogue. 😛

------------------
"Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." - Muad'Dib

Originally posted by llegolas:
**BTW, are u sure they show every story submitted because mines been waiting for like 2 months now.

llegolas, your story is currently third in the queue. In the first week of January there were three chronicles submitted, and two of those are in front of yours. Don't worry, I'm sure that your story, Chronicles of the Elf Lord, will be out soon. BTW, upload more of it. It's really quite good so far. 🙂

-Andiyar

------------------
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"

Thanks, I will!
🙂

------------------
The answer to life, the universe, and everything is...42.