!BETA TESTING!

Dunno if this belongs here

Sorry if it doesn't, anyway I put a stop on my enormous plugin's development and decided to try something easier just to kill air-time, I came up with the ULTIMATE cheat version 0.1, it's VERY easy to beta test, anyways if your interested pm me. Basically this plugin can allow you to win the game in 30 minutes with as much effort as lifting a finger and clicking a button.

This plugin serves 4 purposes:
1. You want to play the game much more easily
2. You made a late game plugin and you need to breeze past the beggining to test it
3. You find the plot fascinating but don't wanna have to play all of it
4. You've already won and wanna just mess around and go nuts

What the plugin does:
It can kill ALL the enemies on screen with the touch of a button
It can restore stamina FULLY with a single push
It can raise pretty much ALL stats by 5 by clicking a single menu-item
It makes 5 new items that are really powerful (not TOO powerful)
It can summon up a shop anywhere with pretty much ALL the original items (excluding trinity ones)
and I think I missed a feature or two, anyways this is targeted MAINLY to people who have finished the game, btw I threw in a special "surprise*" item too 😉

*!!!!!! SPOILER!!!!!!
ytilatrommI fo noitoP eht knirD
(rab-unem eliF eht rednu nottub smetI eht aiv deniatbO)
^Hope you don't mind I used your trick RD 😉

This post has been edited by Foxwolf : 28 May 2006 - 05:26 PM

Sure I'll beta test. After all I did beta test for RD's "Gone Fish'in" Plug-in. Though I do only have the demo version of the game. 😉

~Oh and you forgot teleportation, instant gold, unlimited magic, ultimate spells, ultimate range weapon, and ultimate melee weapon. 🙂

Edit: Oops! My E-mail is: frog_prince_22@yahoo.com

Ok hope that helps!

-Jacks

This post has been edited by Two Jacks : 26 May 2006 - 04:31 AM

Yeah, I made instant 10K in gold but what happenned was I accidentally compiled it without that feature so I'll save it for version 2 😉 Oh and btw, there is a way to raise magic, and I have ADDED melee super weapons (5 new items) as for unlimited magic, I don't want anything to bu unlimited, I wanna make it easy, but not to the extent of boredom, the thing about this is that it allows you to become as powerful as you wanna be, not poof and you have unlimited everything...

P.S. I'll add ranged weapon later 😉

This post has been edited by Foxwolf : 26 May 2006 - 12:23 PM

I can foresee some problems:

° Raising all stats evenly with one button is going to produce a playing character who is "out of balance." For the end game, Strength would normally be much higher than other attributes. Luck and Dexterity normally need not be any higher than 100. Marksmanship is useless to any but a Ranger.

° I see no provision for that all-important Experience. Without Experience how does one level up?

° The player still has to play out all the quests. For example, how does one get into High Garendall without the key to the crypt?

It is all well and good to say, "this is targeted MAINLY to people who have finished the game" but we know it will be pounced upon by those who have not done so. This will ruin the game for them in my opinion.

I doubt that Two Jacks will be able to fully test the plugin because he has no way to go beyond the permitted demo area.

How to level up besides gaining experience?: I'm busy alpha-testing my news posts. So many news each level. To level up, I added a keydown. Level add 1. (It'll be taken out, so Players can't do that.) Wouldn't do for the cheats, though, because nothing else would come with it like maxMagic or maxStamina. Can't craft unless you have enough Magic points, and I've linked Magic points with level with crafting item. I'm NOT writing about POG, so don't panic!

🙂

I question if cheats are a good thing or not. I'd like some feedback on that.

Remember I said there was was a feature I missed? Well I remember now, it was level-up or gain 10K exp. Oh and it's people's chopice to cheat, and they'll either make the cheats themself, or find another one, I'm providing this and it's the users responsibility not to cheat, like I said I made this for other purposes and I can't stop people from abusing it.

*I'm in a hurry so ignore spelling mistakes or grammer errors...

This post has been edited by Foxwolf : 26 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

@shamannils, on May 27 2006, 02:39 AM, said in !BETA TESTING!:

I question if cheats are a good thing or not. I'd like some feedback on that.

In my opinion, some cheats can be quite useful. A "spawn item" cheat, for example, is nice if you accidentally dropped a quest item or forgot to save and don't want to go through that enormous dungeon again to get the sword of awesomeness.

Also, cheats that add gold or experience or such should add small amounts. Even if you want to cheat, you don't necessarily want to get to level 30, maybe just a small boost so you can get past that boss. Or maybe you need 50 more gold to buy something great but don't want 20K so you can buy the whole store...

On the subject of cheats, I'll offer my thoughts.

If the game is well crafted, cheats should be totally unnecessary. I strongly believe one should play a game all the way through the first time with no cheats.

I do agree with what Ledorax seems to be saying. That is, there are some "good" cheats and some "not-so-good" cheats. If you are playing the game through again (after having beaten it) cheats can help eliminate some of the rather dull grunt work needed to get you to the next level, or into that shiny new armor you covet.

There is only one cheat plugin for PoG which I use with any regularity and that is Bankers. The idea here is that you deposit all your pocket change in the Bank of Garendall. When you level up, interest is paid on any funds which have been in the bank for at least one full level. The interest rate is high, but at the lower levels where level-ups are frequent, there's not much spare gold in the account. When level-ups become farther apart you have to wait longer to get a return on your investment. This all makes sense to me.

I am not in favor of cheats that give you something for nothing. Just hitting a key to get 1000 more gold pieces is not fun for me. If that's what it takes to beat the game, then the game is not interesting enough or not well designed.

I don't buy into the argument that a cheat exists because "You made a late game plugin and you need to breeze past the beggining to test it." That's what saved games are for. Anyone wishing to test late-game features should have a saved game file for each class of playing character involved. Using a cheat character to test the features is not duplicating the results of playing the game. For one thing, the cheat character has probably not covered the map in the same way as a "real" character would.

Since I'm obviously into writing and testing plugins for PoG, I have a saved game file for every level of every class of player. You want to know if a Level 3 Conjurer can survive in the Vampire Bat Cave? I've got him. Will the Level 27 Swordsman defeat the Dragons of Durania? Let's see now, here he is.

Well like it or not, people will cheat, but the point of my cheat is to only give as a big a boost you want, I personally never cheat, and I think people would enjoy it more if they didn't, but after winning the game a few ties, I occassionally cheat for an extra 1,000 gold. Just because I made a cheat doesn't make me at all resposnible for what people do with it. I'll even add a warning on the ReadMe file included...

This post has been edited by Foxwolf : 28 May 2006 - 05:26 PM

Heh, a good cheat/plug-in would be a monster spawn key. It would spawn a (?lvl?) monster (maybe a GIANT RUBBER DUCKY) and it would drop every item in the game, but the rarer items would be droped more rarly and the less rare items would be dropped more frequintly, like bread, leather boots, ect.

I think there are catagories for cheats. Such as god cheat (ones that give you infinit wealth and power) and there are "fun" cheats (ones that give the player something to help a bit but now spoil the player rotten).

It would be nice to have an area in the game where the cheat plug would work, but the cheat plug wouldn't work anywhere else in the game (an arena of some sort hint hint).

-Jacks

Actually TwoJacks that was cs project number two, I am currently working on the gfx but this beast would basically be really really touch, and offer loads of xp and great items (so that you could level up after reaching a point in the game where even sea giants are too easy...)