Help

Can anyone tell me where I could find an easy to understand guide on making plugins for pog?
I'm using the Coldstone Demo...oh and it's been 3 bloody years and they haven't fixed coldstone! I have mac os x 10.2.8, why don't they at least SELL coldstone for people like me! Any chance they might fix it or at least bring it back to the market? Anyways thanx!

Hi Foxwolf. Welcome to the boards.

@foxwolf, on May 15 2006, 06:41 PM, said in Help:

Can anyone tell me where I could find an easy to understand guide on making plugins for pog?

Not really, but a good place to start is here.

Stark Bledfast did up a rather nice Sample Plugin with tutorial which I found very helpful when I made my first plugin. I don't believe it ever made it onto the CS Addons page, but if you sent Stark a PM with a polite request, he might be able to email it to you.

As for the rest of your question, if you browse the forum here I think you will find quite a bit of discussion about the update to Coldstone. To the best of our knowledge, CS is still being worked on and I'd rather not rehash all the history about that. Your best bet for the moment is to work in "Classic" or in OS 9 if it is available to you.

This is the right place to ask your questions and you will find several members willing to help you get started. The first steps are:
° Write your story or a good outline of it.
° Construct what maps you'll need.
° Make your NPCs, items, stamps, etc.
° Put them all together with events, stir, bake, and test.
° Get beta testers to check it all out.

I wish you success with the project. ~RD

Thank you! I have indeed found stark's page, and I have completed version 0.1 on my plugin! But for some reason there's an inexplicable bug when I visit the extra city I made, maybe I could send you the source and release and you could tell me what it is? Oh and the coldstone bug doesn't bother me, it's just I really need the full version of coldstone and I don't have panther, so why can't I buy it? It's MY money...

This post has been edited by Foxwolf : 16 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

@foxwolf, on May 16 2006, 01:34 PM, said in Help:

..... for some reason there's an inexplicable bug when I visit the extra city I made, maybe I could send you the source and release and you could tell me what it is?

If you just describe the bug, perhaps we can solve the problem from here. I would be happy to look over what you have if you make a copy available. If it's not too big you can either email it (rduck@optonline.net) or if you have a site where you can upload it, I could download from there. If you email, please mention PoG in the subject title of the email so you don't get tossed out unopened with the spam I recieve.

@foxwolf, on May 16 2006, 01:34 PM, said in Help:

.... the coldstone bug doesn't bother me, it's just I really need the full version of coldstone and I don't have panther, so why can't I buy it? It's MY money...

It is Ambrosia's decision not to sell any registrations for software which does not work as it should. I sympathize with your position, but pleading and cajoling will not get you a registered copy at this time.

Kk, thanx a bunch. Oh and I'll stop complaining about coldstone, it's just that it's a pain using un-registered software...

Ok just to specify, do we know if everything created with the current version of coldstone will still work when, and i say and mean when, there is an update?

Because I basically finished one game i've been working on, so thats fine. But the other one, I have been working on, is mostly just in the graphics and storyline phase. So what I'm asking is, should we work on the actuall coldstone part of it just yet if its all gonna be unusable w/ the new version.

P.S. None of that was supposed to sound negative. I hope it wasnt.

@pixor, on May 18 2006, 04:46 AM, said in Help:

Ok just to specify, do we know if everything created with the current version of coldstone will still work when, and i say and mean when, there is an update?

Because I basically finished one game i've been working on, so thats fine. But the other one, I have been working on, is mostly just in the graphics and storyline phase. So what I'm asking is, should we work on the actuall coldstone part of it just yet if its all gonna be unusable w/ the new version.

P.S. None of that was supposed to sound negative. I hope it wasnt.

Although we can't 100% guarantee that they will work, unless there are major changes made to the way that Coldstone reads and builds files, they should work fine - during the beta process, the files were reusable between builds. If, however, Coldstone itself is changed in how it handles events etc (which would kinda defeat the purpose of a 'bug fix' update, and would be more of a 2.0 update), it would be logical to think that the files would break.

Don't worry. Everything should be just fine. 🙂

-Andiyar