WhiteSpace

For those of you that don't know (that would be all of you, with the unlikely expection of Mag, since I forgot to mention it), I've been away on vacation for a week.

However, I did think quite a bit about Ares in the meantime, and fabricated yet another universe! 😉

There are two essential guidelines I kept in mind:

• There has to be more than one human faction (There are 2, 8, or 9 depending on how you look at it)

• No factions ship classes can be likened to another.
    (/list=a)
    I haven't even finished thinking about it, but here are the ships for two factions:(list)

• Human Mercenaries:
    Ripper: Medium-range HVD
    Razor: mélée HVD
    Revolver: Long range HVD
    Assault Transport: Takes over stations, planets, ships, etc...
    Assault Cruiser: Basic Cruiser
    Assault Carrier: Carries 12 Assault Cruisers

• Saaven: (Aliens)
    Omniship: A basic cruiser, actually.
    Medship: Repairs friendlies
    Charger: Increases friendly energy
    Accelerator: Allows Omniships to go faster
    Augmentor: Adds weapons to Omniship
    Assimilator: Allows Omniship to take over bases

You get the general idea.

Don't worry, for the time being, I'm wholly committed to Marathon: Invasion, at least on the computer.

------------------
-=MoC 94:19=-
"Cheaters don't really win, and winners don't really cheat. Unless you're talking politics." -Durandal
"Fate protects fools, children, and ships named Enterprise." -Riker to Bridge Crew

Sounds good. Of course, it'd be nice if you finished a few of your good ideas.

------------------
"I am the supreme dictator of the universe, it's just that nobody knows about it yet."
"Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow."

I have very bad concentration :}
I've got some good Ishiman ships rendered for a canceled plug; about 15 T33s; All of the Voyager Ships designed, a good portion rendered; a full race designed, 4 rendered for Landsraad...

Actually, the Ishiman corvette does look pretty good. I'd be willing to donate a good portion on my ships, mostly for T33. I've got two races fully rendered.

What I think I really need is a partner (or two) on Landsraad. Voyager, I've decided, will wait until EVN so I can release it simultaneously for Ares and EVN. However, I'm not really planning to do much more with this than write a couple stories and get a few multiplayer levels made. I just felt like designing something where the races didn't correspond to each other.

Hey, does anyone want to work with me on Landsraad when I'm finished with MInv?
(If you are interested in applying, make sure that you've read Dune and the two prequels. None of the others are necessary. The Landsraad plug focused mostly on conflict between the Great Houses, not on the Mahdi)

------------------
"Cheaters don't really win, and winners don't really cheat. Unless you're talking politics." -Durandal
"Fate protects fools, children, and ships named Enterprise." -Riker to Bridge Crew

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

------------------

So, let me get this straight. You wish to create and Ares plugin that is based on the story presented by Frank Herbert circa before the Dune story starts. Sounds great, my specialty is graphics and physics.

These are the factions as I see them:

-House Atreides Green, conventional weap.
-House Harkonnen Jet black, specialty - long range lasers etc...
-House Ecaz Light blue, long range pulses
-House Grumman Light green, short range lasers
-House Corrino (Imperium) Yellow, convention.
-House Vernius Purple, special

No aliens though.

------------------
Intelligence is the function of our minds that controls our desire, a force of selfishness and identity. We destroy self in order to preserve the greater whole, and suppress desire in order to survive. - The Mesonic Creed

Plus the Bene Tleilax and House Richese (or else Vernius (me) wouldn't have an enemy).
Actually, my specialty is Graphics as well, and I've already got some of the ships down.

------------------

Of course. But the storyline in Dune doesn't leave much room for warfare. I suggest it is set right back in the Butlerian Jihad, Humans vs Machines. Or maybe scrap that idea and have the factions in Chapter House: Dune.

- Honoured Matres - Lots of cheap ships
- Bene Gesserit - Versatile
- Tleilaxu - Cloak
- Subverted Tleilaxu - Use Tleilaxu
- The Guild - Strongest ships, no ground force
- Fish Speaker - Gaitori-like
- Ixians - Most powerful ships

The ship classes that Frank mentions are I think:

Frigates (HVD)
Heighliner (freighter)
Crusher (fighter, I think)
Transport (?)
Lighter (Very fast cruiser)
Destroyer (Self-destruct kamikaze ship)
Mines (Self-destruct nuke)

No-ship (cloaking ship of any class)

There are a few I haven't mentioned but the book isn't near my desk so...

----------
Intelligence is the function of our minds that controls our desire, a force of selfishness and identity. We destroy self in order to preserve the greater whole, and suppress desire in order to survive. - The Mesonic Creed

No, have you ever heard of kanly?

Atreides ships will have some green in them, but they'll really have a bit more grey.

The classes are:
Combat Pod
Lighter
Warship
Frigate
Monitor
Hauler

Crushers do exist, but they're impractical, really.
Heighliners are neutral, and are the only way to ferry between systems.
Where did you hear of destroyers?

------------------

By the way, thee will be nukes, but they're a finsher weapon; i.e. you lose thirty seconds after you launch one for violating the Great Convention.

------------------

My concern was that in Dune every House normally has only a single planet, excepting Houses that are made up of more than one (House Harkonnen) and the Imperium.

What book are you up to?

------------------

You don't know the half of my plans...

Trust me, that won't be a problem. The levels of complexity involved will render the computer AI incompetent without massive rescripting, so really it would be mostly multiplayer.

A campaign in Landsraad will really be each player starting with their basic planet, and continually actuvating triggers and causing campaign events.

A level will have a minimum of 3 objects in it. However, two are more complex than any other object used in the factory scenarios, and the final object ten times the previous.

you have seemed interested so far, I'll email you the details of what I just said, with the promise of absolute secrecy.

------------------
(This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 11-27-2830).)

Originally posted by Count Altair El Alemein:
**-House Grumman Light green, short range lasers

Actually, I just noticed you wrote Grumman. Grumman is the planet. The house is Moritani.

------------------

Just to keep in shape, I whipped up a little previw of some of the ship classes at (url="http://"http://dunelandsraad.tripod.com/atreides/index.html")dunelandsraad.tripod.com/atreides/index.html(/url)

------------------