Very odd problem

I have no idea how to fix this

Hello there.
As you may have guessed already, I'm having a problem. And this is something I've never seen before and have no idea how to fix.

Okay, so in the goblin caves, before you can fight the goblin chief, you have to fight the shaman of the clan. So when you get to the bridge which he's guarding, the camera moves to him and dialogue starts. Then, when you've talked to him he attacks you. All this works fine. But then, when you go east (that's where he is), the main character graphic starts acting strange. You can walk, attack, defend, anything you like, but at the end of the current animation, he reverts to the first frame he's got, which is facing north. Strange, eh?

This doesn't happen if you go to the west, only east.

Does anyone even understand what I mean? This is giving me a headace. <_<

Ledorax, on Feb 19 2006, 11:03 AM, said:

when you go east (that's where he is), the main character graphic starts acting strange. You can walk, attack, defend, anything you like, but at the end of the current animation, he reverts to the first frame he's got, which is facing north. Strange, eh?

This doesn't happen if you go to the west, only east.
View Post

Are you able to work around it by making the first frame be the one facing East? Or are you too far into making the game to want to change what frames are used in all other places.

No, I don't understand. How much of this is scripted animation and how much is player controlled? Is it the animation which is returning to the first frame, or is it that when the animation stops, the playing character is left facing north?

Well, when you attack, for example, the animation has 8 frames. After the 8th frame, you face north again (at least it looks like you're facing north, can't be sure because if I press x to see in which direction he attacks, he'll attack the shaman). You can still do anything you could before like attack, cast spells, etc, but when you stop doing that, he will face north again. <_<

And Al: The first frame can't be one facing east, it has to be north. Coldstone won't understand it otherwise...

Ledorax, on Feb 20 2006, 05:01 AM, said:

The first frame can't be one facing east, it has to be north. Coldstone won't understand it otherwise...
View Post

The first frame could face north but consist of a pure white image rendering the frame invisible. At worst it would be like a blink. At best it would be un-noticeable.

I think the problem is with the camera. Make sure that the camera moves back to the Player BEFORE the goblin attacks. It might help if you could give us a screen shot of your animation window and/or the event that's doing this.

The camera reverts after the event. I think I know what caused the problem, now. It's the goblin being a caster. Coldstone doesn't seem to like casters. <_< I made him a fighter and it works now, somewhat...