Anyone know how to add support for multiplayer?...

need help...

Hi, I'm new (to this forum and Coldstone), and I would like to add multiplayer support to a game that I'm making.
Anyone know how?

Hi DarkPear welcome to the boards,

I dont know alot about cold stone yet but I'm pretty sure it doesnt suport muiltyplayer, but one of the more knowledgeable cold stoners should.

((Maybe online muilty player?))

No, Coldstone cannot be used to create multiplayer games. It's a single player only tool.

-Andiyar

OK-Thanx
Do you know how to make your characters jump?

darkpear, on Dec 28 2005, 10:23 PM, said:

Do you know how to make your characters jump?
View Post

Is it the playing character or an NPC that you want to jump?

Well I have been thinking. If you did a series of complex globals of UP DOWN LEFT and RIGHT. You could have two players playing. And as for making a character jump, I can help you with that if it's the main character you want jumping. You will have to tell me if it's a sidescroller, and RPG, or what. What kind of game are you making.

Thanks for thinking about that, but I really don't need jumping anymore.
I didn't even know you could do a side-scroller, so I think I meant an RPG, anyways.
But like, how would you go about creating an NPC that wiould fight alongside the main character?

darkpear, on Jan 3 2006, 02:12 PM, said:

how would you go about creating an NPC that would fight alongside the main character?
(Edited for typo)
View Post

NPCs can be passive or agressive toward the player but not agressive toward each other. Said simply, Coldstone won't let you do that. You might be able to have the illusion of a fight with a complex animation but I don't think it will do what you want it to.

If you make an enemy a defensive caster and give it a spell which damages allies, it will look like it's attacking your enemies. The other enemies won't attack it however, unless they, too, have such a spell. You can still attack them, though.

Oh, thanx for the idea...
I'm at school right now, so i'll have to wait till i get home to actually try that out.
so if I made a caster whose animation was like a warrior, and he had a spell with a range of whatever, and its animation was an arrow or something...?

Then he would attack his own. Just make sure that the spell type is set to "defensive". Also make sure that he is a caster.

Except, wouldn't he look like he was trying to attack you? He wouldn't stand next to the hero. Or am I mistaken...

He would stand next to the other enemies I suppose. Depends on what range his spell has. If it has 0 or 1 and his casting animation is a normal attack animation, he would run after them and attack them. All he's trying to do is heal them, but instead he damages them. Poor NPC.

You could also give him an offensive spell which heals the target, so he can cast healing spells on the player.

Nice
That's Hilarious
And it will work perfect in my game, Archmage

I have a question that has a little to do with the "character following the PC around" bit. How would one go about creating an animation of Navi? A little fary that follows the main character around (Link), but she doesn't stop Link from going in any direction, so she couldn't be an NPC, but she still has to follow the player around

I would like any input on this people can think of. This is a rather difficult project (unless I'm missing something HUGE)

You could always make the fairy a part of the main character's animation. Or, you could make it an NPC which doesn't have a "collision sphere", I think that might work. Or, you could use stamp control.

Example: player walks one tile north, stamp control deletes your fairy and adds a new one which flies 32 (or whatever the size of your movement tiles is) pixels north and then stops. But that won't work if the player has to be able to talk to it whenever he likes...

It's my experience that an NPC that follows the Player doesn't stop the Player from going in any direction unless there's a Player Contact that's active and touches the Player. The NPC just makes it difficult for the Player to fight. I'd try making an NPC, but make Navi have a wide margin of white. That will make the fairy seem to not be very close to the Player.

I'd also couple this with a very small collision sphere (follow the graphic animation) so that the Player can have contact with Navi when he wants. At least, this is what I'd try.

wow... i must be stupid... I've been using coldstone for what? 2 or 3 years, and been pretty active on the forums for the last year or so, and i've never used a collision sphere. I never knew what they were and it never occured to me i should ask. I never needed it. So thats how you determine where the actual NPC is in relation to his graphic? Would that stop it from always putting the player slightly in the NPC's animation on big characters?

If the player's collision sphere collides with the NPCs collision sphere, you can get no closer. Also, the bigger the collision sphere, the bigger will the "aura" under NPCs be (the blue or red circle).

I'm not sure what you mean by "that's how you determine where the actual NPC is in relation to his graphic" but I think so. The larger the collision sphere, the easier it is for the NPC to fight the Player as the NPC seems to not have to be quite as near to be accurate. But it's the collision sphere that can touch and hurt the Player. It's also needed for the Player to contact the NPC when the NPC is docile.

I'm using animations of a "deathball" that "shoots" in one direction. Through an animation, the ball rolls from right to left. It loops so it travels continually. I click on "follow" in the collision sphere box, and the collision sphere literally follows (surrounds every frame of) the ball from right to left. If it hits the Player, that is, if the Player can't dodge the thing, the Player gets hurt, because of the collision sphere. I don't remember if it's an NPC or a weapon of an NPC that is off-screen and unable to move because of surrounding non-access tiles. It goes in a straight line and doesn't try to find the Player because it's a simple animation. I have other deathballs that DO try to get the Player, but those are regular 360 degree weapons. In that case, it's a static collision sphere that does not "follow." I find that much can be done with Coldstone.

P.S. I find that for NPCs, the collision sphere is on the ground, the same plane as the ground, no matter how big you make it. You can tell by its oblong shape when it's large. So sometimes the Player and the NPC seem to walk on each other. I find this to be a problem, but there's nothing I can do about it.