Game Speed

Hi everyone,

I've been making a map for a week now, creating graphics as I go. There's still a lot left to do, but now I finally tested it. The game was extremely slow. I use Panther, and therefore I have to run coldstone in classic mode. This could make it a bit slow I suppose, but not this slow! Does anyone know of a way to make it faster? I really have no idea what to do <_< .

Since I don't know how big your map is, how many stamps there are, how many different stamps there are, and how many animated stamps there are, I honnestly can't tell you. I would asume that all of the above are correct, considering what I've seen of your games, which would slow a game down a lot in classic. Once the update is released, it should fix that problem.

Another thing, when you say slow, I'm assuming that by slow you meen crawling, like, say it takes about a minute to move 100 tiles and/or there is a control delay of, like two seconds.

That is all I can say. And really, there isn't a good fix for it while still keeping the same graphical quality. And the entire problem is made even worse by the classic emulation.

--You might try increasing the memory-- (just a passing thought)

I hope that helps in some way.

I suggest you:

1. increase the memory

2. If you have your graphics as 32 bit, change them to 16 bit. I honestly can't tell the difference how my graphics look between 32 and 16, as I usually create in 32 and then change them to 16.

3. Take off animation stamps. I find that's a killer for speed. Too many animations and it slows to a crawl.

I'm making my game with OS9.2. My maps are highly detailed and non-animated stamps don't seem to affect the speed. Animated stamps do, especially large animated stamps.

Hope this helps.

Well, I made the map smaller, optimised ground and increased memory. It runs a little faster now but still not good :mad: .

I shall see if I can use os 9, and if it's faster there.

By slow, I mean that the graphics don't do as I want them to. It's a bit hard to explain but imagine playing a new 3d game on an old computer. It stops from time to time and then it skips a few frames when it starts again. The animations (character animations) are slow as well.

Well, thanks. I'll post again if it works well in os 9 (if I can even use that).

Edit: Can't use os 9. I suppose I'll simply have to wait for that infernal update.

This post has been edited by Ledorax : 10 September 2005 - 04:20 AM

You did not mention animations. I am very happily using OS9.2. And now I shall go and continue to work on my dungeon maze.

Only character animations, no animated stamps.

I believe I have solved the problem, though, by setting the resolution to 640x480. Perhaps coldstone simply doesn't like higher resolutions than that. Everything is a bit big, but I can live with that.

I'm making my game at a higher resolution with OS9.2. I wish I could help you, but can't with the information you provide. Sorry.

It must be because of classic then. That's good to know.

What information would you need?