AHH! I have an error and I can't make my game

"Error compiling data: 1"

Grr..... For the longest time I was running in OS X waiting for the update. Often it would quit out when I tried to make a game. So finally I clicked "open in classic environment" in Get Info. Everything worked fine for a while, but know whenever I try to build a release of my game, it messes up.

Everything goes fine, until it gets to "Building FAT." While that bar is going, it says "Error compiling data: 1." The only think to do then is to click OK. Then it goes back to the Compressing game data screen and it says Processing: " after that I have to go down to the dock, right click on Coldstone and tell it to quit...

What is Error compiling data: 1, Why does it happen, and what can I do about it? :unsure:

Any help that anyone could offer would be great... For now I'll just continue working without being able to test anything.. :mad:

This post has been edited by Rubber Ducky : 29 July 2005 - 05:11 PM

Pixor, on Jul 29 2005, 03:42 PM, said:

...after that I have to go down to the dock, right click on Coldstone and tell it to quit...
View Post

...right click on Coldstone?? How does one do that on a Mac?

To be of any help, I sense that we need more information. Are you working with a registered copy, or is this the demo version? After selecting "open in classic environment," did you start with all new data, or was part of the game constructed in the OS X mode?

To be honest, I'm groping in the dark a bit here. Errors in data can take many forms, but I'm looking first at two potential problem areas. Fill us in please.

Also, I edited your title to eliminate the caplocks key because we don't need to shout at each other here, after all, the room is almost empty. 🙂 ~RD

Rubber Ducky, on Jul 29 2005, 06:07 PM, said:

View Post

We have a right click mouse on our mac, it is made for macs, yeah I guess that is kinda wierd.. 😄

But anyways... back to the problem:

I think I figured something out. It always gave the error right away. And it turns out I had something in the very first part of the folder, the one where it has the folder heirarchy. It was made in windows!!!!! So I took it out and it worked! :laugh: YES!

But then, it gave the same error in a folder in my pictures folder, It seemed to take a while before giving the error, so I'm guessing the incompatible file A.K.A. The Windows File, was in there. I checked, but there was nothing. Although all the files there were made by Microsoft Paint at my friends house, on a windows... I'm so ashamed, lol. I like the way paint works... :unsure:

They are all saved as bitmaps, is that a problem? Because they worked when I put them in the animation.. Maybe It's some dumb hidden file that windows always puts in their folders that I accidentaly coppied... Grrr This is why we have a mac... lol

Bitmaps do work in coldstone, they just don't work well. You might want to consider converting all of those pictures into .pct files. If you believe it's too time consuming and boring, that's fine.

I think I've had the same problem you are having right now once. Did you check the "compress pictures" (or something similar) box when compiling? If so, try unchecking it and compile once more.

Another thing, you don't have to compile it to run it, you can simply press that little arrow button in the tools window.

No I didn't click it.. I'll try converting them to .pcts or .jpgs, thnx!

By the way, I can't click the arrow cuz that runs the game in OSX, and those don't work...

Not if you run coldstone in classic emulation mode.

Rubber Ducky, on Jul 29 2005, 10:07 PM, said:

View Post

I'm sorry but many people with Macs have multi-button mice, mine has 5. In addition, one can control-click on something and it gives the same effect as right-clicking. I just was somewhat amazed at that response, forgive me for sounding rude.

OgreBob, on Jul 30 2005, 02:25 PM, said:

... forgive me for sounding rude.
View Post

It doesn't sound rude to me. I asked the question because I never heard that term before in reference to Macs. I thought right click / left click were Windows things (and I honestly don't know the difference.)

I never pretended to be a computer whiz, I leave that to the younger generation. One of the reasons I want to work with Coldstone is because I don't have to learn a lot of computer language to do so.

To put this in perspective, I'm sure most of you did not grow up with a 12" black and white round TV which only got three channels (on good days.) Personal computers were not common until my sons were in school. So I'm sorry if this area of knowledge is incomplete.

Haha!!! I don't believe it.. After all this time.. I had given up on it and just removed the folder, when today I thought I figured it out, I tried to convert all the files but it didn't work...

So then! I was looking at it in the coldstone browser window instead of in the finder, and one of the names had funky coding at the end. I checked the finder window, and it had a normal name, but it was really long. So I realized it must just be too big, so I made the name smaller and voila, it worked lol. 😄 So If u ever see anyone say the have an error compling data:1, You tell them it's because the folder where it gave that error has a file w/ a name that is too big. :rolleyes: Thats kinda funny...

Rubber Ducky, on Jul 30 2005, 08:48 PM, said:

It doesn't sound rude to me. I asked the question because I never heard that term before in reference to Macs. I thought right click / left click were Windows things (and I honestly don't know the difference.)

I never pretended to be a computer whiz, I leave that to the younger generation. One of the reasons I want to work with Coldstone is because I don't have to learn a lot of computer language to do so.

To put this in perspective, I'm sure most of you did not grow up with a 12" black and white round TV which only got three channels (on good days.) Personal computers were not common until my sons were in school. So I'm sorry if this area of knowledge is incomplete.
View Post

My fault for jumping on you, but tot ell the truth, the "Macs can't right-click" thing always strikes a nerve on me, because that's one of the (terrible) arguments that Windows users use against Macs, and itt's completely ignorant because it's not true. I was less yelling at you and more at those instances =).

Really? I didn't know about the right click thingy either! Please forgive us old(er) folks!!!

:wub:

Rubber Ducky, on Jul 29 2005, 06:07 PM, said:

OgreBob, on Jul 30 2005, 02:25 PM, said:

I'm sorry but many people with Macs have multi-button mice, mine has 5.

Turns out mac is coming out with a new mouse called the Mighty Mouse. :rolleyes: Its kind of a strange name... It looks like the Imac ones that are all one piece, but whichever side you click on is a different button. So it looks like one button but there are actually two. And the scroll button is actually a ball and it can rotate front-back to scroll up-down. And it can scroll left-right to scroll side to side. Its supposed to look really cool! 🙂

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

Pixor, on Aug 7 2005, 12:00 AM, said:

Turns out mac is coming out with a new mouse called the Mighty Mouse. :rolleyes: Its kind of a strange name... It looks like the Imac ones that are all one piece, but whichever side you click on is a different button. So it looks like one button but there are actually two. And the scroll button is actually a ball and it can rotate front-back to scroll up-down. And it can scroll left-right to scroll side to side. Its supposed to look really cool! 🙂
http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/
View Post

Yeah, I saw. I may buy it, but I need to try it out first.