Virtual Pets

Is it possible to make a virtual pet with CS, like a tamagachi (sp)?

It depends on what you want/mean. Coldstone will only create applications that run on a computer. There is no way to create a program that would run on something else (Palm Pilot, Game Boy, ect.) If you want to make a Tamagotchi type program to run on a computer, that wouldn't be that hard.

Yeah, I meant for it to run on the computer.

Could you maybe explain the basics of it?

I had one of those when I was a child. In my experience, they're not very complex, so yes - you should be able to do one.

First of all, you'd need a few graphics, of course. I can't remember what buttons there are, but you surely do. You'd need an animation for every "level" your beast could get. But you know this.

Okay, after you've made your graphics (or stolen, or borrowed, or whatever you do) you need to start making it. A map would probably work best if you have an animated creature. Just make the PC invisible and the whole map filled with access tiles. Have a few globals and conditionals check what level the beast is and then add a stamp accordingly. You'd need a few bars, of course, to see how much health it has, and experience (if they have that). If health goes down to 0 - death. When he's got enough experience to level, delete the old stamp and place a new one.

You'd have to be able to save, of course, and it wouldn't wake you up in the middle of the night to have food. And if it dies, you can load a saved game, so this wouldn't be as hard as having a real one would.

Well, I hope you get it.

Wow, geez. Someone wants to make one of those? I thought that fad died about 5 years ago. Any particular reason why or is this just some random idea that popped in your head (just wondering)?

Well, I think it will be good practice and after I make a simple one, I want to make a more complex one similar to Nintendogs (but with 2D graphics).

I think this is a fine idea. It would be good practice to learn about coldstone scripts and such. Feel free to ask for help if you need any information for this project .

And since you don't have to go up in the middle of the night to press a button, it might even be fun. I think I crushed mine when I had one. Or simply killed my beast.

murrr --- durrr --- errrr