Sancatie Rises Again!

The orgin of my name comes out.

A long time ago, in a house far, far away in Florida, I drew up a map of four islands. I detailed them up and named every thing, I even created a map of the "underdark" or cave complexes. I called the four islands the "Islands of Sancatie." Where the name came from, I don't know, but it's there, and when I joined the boards, "Sancatie" became my alias.
The Islands of Sancatie became my "great new idea" for a truely massive game, and I mean massive. The map was drawn on .25 inch graph paper, and I had decided that every single square would reprisent a 100100 grid map. Yes this game would have been truely massive.
Allas, the Islands of Sancatie died a horrable death when I realized it would take me a couple years at least to get the maps done alone. Being the great slacker that I am, I of course balked. So the Islands were no more, only a map and a great idea gone. And so I started on a new game idea: "Rangers of the East." This idea, with an actual storyline, had promis. But died again as our home computers were upgraded to panther and working with Coldstone became worse than trying to spread cold butter on white bread.
But this story does not end badly. A few months ago, I moved an ancient Mac up into my room. This old thing runs Mac OS 9.1. YES!!!!!!! A perfect computer to work with Coldstone. Then school started, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All game development screached to an unwilling halt as homework became the priority. Now, in the midst of Thanksgiving break, "Rangers of the East" and the "Islands of Sancatie" have merged to become "Ranger's Tale." Which takes place on the island of Nanaidar, surounded by mist and inhabited by strange and evil monsters. The maps will be 200
200 for a four square square on the same map. So size wont be deminished, only number of mape and the amount of loads in between walking from one place to another. Once the game is finnished, it will be entirely plugin friendly, everything will be open to exploitation. Of course I will be making plugins that slowly open up the rest of the Islands, until I have amassed enough maps to, who knows, creat the game that I had thought of all those years back. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well good luck ! I look foward to seeing that game !

Ranger's tale..? Will it be a manhunt? ^^

No it will not be a "manhunt" if what you mean by the word is "finding and killing the evil bad leaders." What the game will be is a semi-vast (over 50 maps, many huge ones) island that houses evil and good people and such. But what I think makes this game different from a game like PoG is that you will be able to go back and forth from evil to good. And, as you go from one side to the other, different quests become avalible, others vanish. The biggest example I can think of, is that if you are good, you can walk around the City of the Sun (a good city) and not be killed by the guards. But if you are evil, (really evil, or have a prison record) than the guards will try to catch you, which is another thing that makes this game different. If you are evil, kill someone for no reason, or you try and break into the castle (or other such place) the guards will not just blindly attack you. They will catch you and you will go to jail. But of course, killing a guard will make you more evil. But on the flipside, killing an evil knight or a goblin will make you good.

Of course, as you are a ranger, you will be dealing with nature and all of it's dangers. You will have a good veriety of spells to choose from, all of them helpfull on and off the battle field. Otherwise, in terms of gaining experience and all, the game will be very similar to most RPG games.

Humm, your idea seems similar to mine. I've set up a game-wide global on a timer that reads and records a set of attributes and globals every 10 minutes or so to determine if the Player is "good" or "evil." So the game-wide global adjusts, and then some game events are conditional to it. I wish you well with your game.